Bored on the Paradise

58Piano

Went on a 5 day western carribean on Paradise Aug 31

We were bored with a total lack of entertainment. Only two shows with the dancers. They were good. But the first show was country western them. We did not like that. The cruise director did a fantastic job of playing the fiddle just like Charlie Daniels. The other show was a revue of 50' to 70's It was amazing. That is the kind of show they should do every night. The other choices involved using the passengers. You get dressed up. Have a wonderful dinner. Then all you have to do is to go the main theater to watch on stage passengers learning how to dance. Awful! Hardly anything to do in the daytime.

If you don't drink heavy, gamble, smoke, shop or bingo you will be bored.

Bring something to do like cards or books. The lounge areas stay empty. Saw many passengers walking around bored. No discovery at sea programs,movies under the stars, ceramics, game shows, just bingo and art auctions and shopping.More stuff to entertain kids.

Food was alright. But not gourmet as it should be on a cruise. About like going to Golden Corral buffet. At the main dining room some food looked like it was throwed on the plate. Not attractively presented as should be.

Don't waste your money on this ship. Try Princess instead!

What were you expecting? Here's a piece of advice: before going on a cruise, or any vacation, you might want to do some research about the activities, food, entertainment, etc. before you go.

And, I won't even charge you for that advice.

You're welcome.

Edited by Hoosierpop

I haven't been on Carnival yet, but have seen the daily Fun Times posted and it seems similar to Royal Caribbean and Norwegian which I have sailed on. At any given moment there is always something for everyone. If you couldn't find anything, you might consider a more specialized type of vacation.

Went on a 5 day western carribean on Paradise Aug 31

We were bored with a total lack of entertainment. Only two shows with the dancers. They were good. But the first show was country western them. We did not like that. The cruise director did a fantastic job of playing the fiddle just like Charlie Daniels. The other show was a revue of 50' to 70's It was amazing. That is the kind of show they should do every night. The other choices involved using the passengers. You get dressed up. Have a wonderful dinner. Then all you have to do is to go the main theater to watch on stage passengers learning how to dance. Awful! Hardly anything to do in the daytime.

If you don't drink heavy, gamble, smoke, shop or bingo you will be bored.

Bring something to do like cards or books. The lounge areas stay empty. Saw many passengers walking around bored. No discovery at sea programs,movies under the stars, ceramics, game shows, just bingo and art auctions and shopping.More stuff to entertain kids.

Food was alright. But not gourmet as it should be on a cruise. About like going to Golden Corral buffet. At the main dining room some food looked like it was throwed on the plate. Not attractively presented as should be.

Don't waste your money on this ship. Try Princess instead!

I'm so sorry that you were bored. You have to sail on the Breeze or Victory. There are so many scheduled activities and so much to do on both ships. I sailed on the Ecstasy last weekend which was Labor Day, and it was full of drunks. The ship felt so small compared to the Breeze and Victory.

I'm not a smoker, heavy drinker, or gambler and I don't get bored :confused:. I've always found a lot to do.

Same with us, we do enjoy a couple of drinks a day and gamble a little. We have never been bored on a cruise. If the show going on does not interest us then we are enjoying each others company either walking around exploring the ship or relaxing in a lounger watching the ocean.

My mom used to always say, "If you are bored, it's because you are boring".

There are so many things to do on a cruise, and in this day and age, it is incredibly easy to find out exactly what each line does or does not offer. Don't expect champagne on a beer budget.

I agree with the OP that there is just SOME terrible entertainment and SOME entertainment that I just do no like. But there is always something else to do...even if that means sipping a cool beverage on the balcony looking out over a starlit ocean/gulf, relaxing in a aroma therapy sauna, leaning back against a pile of pillows on your bed indulging in a room service snack (chocolate cake is delicious), heading to a hot tub and just getting to know some other cruisers talking about everything and anything, or....list goes on and on.

One of the best options for vacation is you can be as laid back as possible. I like blocks of time that are not filled with "to do" lists. IMHO, one of the worst things one can do on vacation is to return home more tired than when you left - I know others like to cram in as much as time permits - to each their own.

As far as the food - if you don't have to cook it or clean it up - it is already a winner. If something is unappetizing to me, I send it back to be remade or order something different.

OP, not sure how much, if any, research you did.

But you cruised on one of the oldest smallest ships in the Carnival fleet.

Still not sure how you were bored, as there is PLENTY to do.

But, if you had booked on a newer ship, ie; Breeze, Dream, Sunshine, or Magic, you would have had SO many more options.

Same for dining.

I don't understand why you chose Carnival.

I'm not a smoker, heavy drinker, or gambler and I don't get bored :confused:. I've always found a lot to do.

Me, too. First of all, I cruise to relax. We always bring reading materials with us and I bring puzzle books. But I enjoy just lounging, especially in the Serenity area, and people watching. We're never bored. If you need to be entertained, maybe cruising isn't the best choice for your vacation.

If you have to be entertained 24/7, then maybe one of those mega ships on RCCL is your thing. They got rock climbing, bumper cars, that ball on a boom thing! Of course you gotta help pay for those, so maybe all you can afford is an inside with no window, where u can get a balcony on CCL for the same money!

Sorry your trip was disappointing. Were there no bands in the evenings or comedy shows? What about trivia? No game shows like Love and Marriage?

Oddly, on both Princess cruises we have been on, we found the evening options to be very limited. Daytime stuff too on one of them. When you have over 50 people show up for origami, you know the pickings are slim.

Different people like different things. Now you know that Princess is a better fit for you, but at least you gave it a try. Hope you enjoyed your ports at least.

You were so lucky to be on a ship with Steve Cassel. He is one of our favorite Cruise Directors and boy he can play the fiddle. That country music show is great.

I can't imagine that you couldn't find anything to do on the ship. As for being bored on a ship - that is my goal. Lay in the sun, read, and do nothing until all the stress melts away.

I have sailed on the Paradise twice and was never bored at all. I am neither a heavy drinker, gambler or smoker and still manged to entertain myself. It's true that the Paradise is a smaller, older ship but I always found something to do in the evenings even if it was just sitting on deck enjoying the night and being on the ocean (and people watching). I love the comedy shows also. If you want more entertainment then I recommend you sail on a different class Carnival ship, one that it newer and larger which usually has more activities scheduled throughout the day and evening.

I'm not sure why you would expect "gourmet food" on a ship that serves a couple thousand people 3 meals a day, but I was always able to find something very good to eat, but I am easy to please I guess.

I have heard some people complain that their cruise on Princess were boring...but what would be boring is if everyone liked the same thing.

Paradise is what it is, an older ship with no bells and whistles. We enjoyed our trip a few years ago when the kids were smaller.

After more modern ships, other lines, including the Breeze, with all the bells and whistles, I think my kids would be bored, and DW and I would likely not enjoy ourselves as much too.

For a quick getaway maybe, but not for a family vacation.

Sorry you were bored.

I don't know who you went with I cruise with my husband and just being with each other is enough even after 39 years of marriage. We are still not bored with each other :D

Especially after being diagnoised with a serious illness a couple years ago it makes our time more important to us.

Let's see. You went on a budget cruise and got budget entertainment and budget food. You paid a budget cruse price. Yet you wanted a princess experience without paying for it.

I don't understand your logic or why you're complaining.

I've never been bored on a Carnival cruise......

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I don't go to any of the entertainment venues on a ship, I do find the "shows" less than stimulating so I gave up on them a long time ago. But, a cruise is never boring. Even just catching 40 winks on my balcony isn't boring, nor is reading a book while sitting in the sunshine with the ocean breeze floating around me. As a family we bring lots of board games...great way for all our generations to connect and enjoy the day. And we people watch...that is, sometimes, all the entertainment I need.

My Mother used to use the old adage: Only boring people are bored. Still rings true for me.

I too, have sailed "Paradise" over and over again, with never a disappointment. GREAT ship, outstanding crew, excellent food and service, and FUN, FUN, FUN entertainment. I'll be sailing "Paradise" again September 28th, and I assume you won't be aboard. ;)

"SKY"