CFAR - final pmt almost due

erby2283

I am looking for some advice and hope some people can chime in with their thoughts.

I had an 11 year dog who I treat like my child. He is a 3x cancer survivor and my brother refers to him as a "special needs child" b/c whenever I go away, he needs to closely monitored for health purposes; not to mention his 20 pills of medication he needs to take every day. My mom is also having some health issues and she is who usually watches my dog while I am on vacation.

When you book a cruise, you're supposed to look forward to that vacation but I literally become paranoid that my dog will become ill after I make final payment or something will happen to him while I am on the cruise. Because of this, I started buying CFAR insurance.

I am cruising with a best friend and she also has purchased CFAR insurance.

The facts:

Cruise price p/p: $540

Airfare: $226 (the other leg of airfare is on Southwest and so I can use that towards another flight and I wouldn't be out any money)

My CFAR covers 75%.

My question is this: If I am so torn between going and not going, would you cancel before final payment, or would you make final payment knowing that if you cancel, you're really not out that much money? Also, is CFAR really CFAR? Can I just call them up and say, "Um hello, yes, I really don't feel like leaving my dog right now so I don't think I want to cruise?" Also, if I do that, will me friend be able to CFAR as well?

The reason I am so torn is because this was one of those offers Carnival gave to certain VIFP people for their Journey cruises. An 11-day interior room was $75 but I had to go for the balcony. How often can you cruise for 11 days in a balcony to Aruba, Bonaire, Curacoa, Grand Turk and St. Croix for $540 with $175 OBC?

I am looking for some advice and hope some people can chime in with their thoughts.

I had an 11 year dog who I treat like my child. He is a 3x cancer survivor and my brother refers to him as a "special needs child" b/c whenever I go away, he needs to closely monitored for health purposes; not to mention his 20 pills of medication he needs to take every day. My mom is also having some health issues and she is who usually watches my dog while I am on vacation.

When you book a cruise, you're supposed to look forward to that vacation but I literally become paranoid that my dog will become ill after I make final payment or something will happen to him while I am on the cruise. Because of this, I started buying CFAR insurance.

I am cruising with a best friend and she also has purchased CFAR insurance.

The facts:

Cruise price p/p: $540

Airfare: $226 (the other leg of airfare is on Southwest and so I can use that towards another flight and I wouldn't be out any money)

My CFAR covers 75%.

My question is this: If I am so torn between going and not going, would you cancel before final payment, or would you make final payment knowing that if you cancel, you're really not out that much money? Also, is CFAR really CFAR? Can I just call them up and say, "Um hello, yes, I really don't feel like leaving my dog right now so I don't think I want to cruise?" Also, if I do that, will me friend be able to CFAR as well?

The reason I am so torn is because this was one of those offers Carnival gave to certain VIFP people for their Journey cruises. An 11-day interior room was $75 but I had to go for the balcony. How often can you cruise for 11 days in a balcony to Aruba, Bonaire, Curacoa, Grand Turk and St. Croix for $540 with $175 OBC?

About whether "CFAR is really CFAR", you need to read the *exact* terms of YOUR policy and/or ask the insurer or insurance broker what is/is not covered.

Also double check about timing.

The CFAR we are most familiar with (purchased it once, but had to cancel everything for covered medical reasons, so got 100% back) requires that you notify insurer no later than 48 hours prior to departure - so double check what *your* policy states.

But different policies can have different definitions, deadlines, etc.

In your situation, I'd also suggest double checking about what would be covered IF your dog or your mother get critically ill or worse, if that is a situation where you'd want to end the trip mid-way, etc.

Good luck.

GeezerCouple

About whether "CFAR is really CFAR", you need to read the *exact* terms of YOUR policy and/or ask the insurer or insurance broker what is/is not covered.

Also double check about timing.

The CFAR we are most familiar with (purchased it once, but had to cancel everything for covered medical reasons, so got 100% back) requires that you notify insurer no later than 48 hours prior to departure - so double check what *your* policy states.

But different policies can have different definitions, deadlines, etc.

In your situation, I'd also suggest double checking about what would be covered IF your dog or your mother get critically ill or worse, if that is a situation where you'd want to end the trip mid-way, etc.

Good luck.

GeezerCouple

Thank you for replying. Would CFAR "exact terms" be buried somewhere else other that what is within this paragraph that I am copying and pasting here or are these the terms your referring to? It's with Travel Insured:

COVERAGE C

CANCEL FOR ANY REASON

If You cancel Your Trip for any reason not otherwise covered

by this Policy, benefits will be paid for 75% of the Prepaid,

forfeited, non-refundable Payments or Deposits You paid for

Your Trip provided:

a) Your Payment for this Policy and enrollment form are

received within 21 days of the date Your initial Payment

or Deposit for Your Trip is received;

b) You insure 100% of the Prepaid Trip costs that are

subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions and also

insure within 21 days of the Payment or Deposit for

those Travel Arrangements the cost of any subsequent

Travel Arrangements (or any other Travel Arrangements

not made through Your travel agent) added to Your Trip;

and

c) You cancel Your Trip 48 hours or more before Your

Scheduled Departure Date.

These benefits will not duplicate any other benefits payable

under the Policy or any coverage(s) attached to the Policy

Thank you for replying. Would CFAR "exact terms" be buried somewhere else other that what is within this paragraph that I am copying and pasting here or are these the terms your referring to? It's with Travel Insured:

COVERAGE C

CANCEL FOR ANY REASON

If You cancel Your Trip for any reason not otherwise covered

by this Policy, benefits will be paid for 75% of the Prepaid,

forfeited, non-refundable Payments or Deposits You paid for

Your Trip provided:

a) Your Payment for this Policy and enrollment form are

received within 21 days of the date Your initial Payment

or Deposit for Your Trip is received;

b) You insure 100% of the Prepaid Trip costs that are

subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions and also

insure within 21 days of the Payment or Deposit for

those Travel Arrangements the cost of any subsequent

Travel Arrangements (or any other Travel Arrangements

not made through Your travel agent) added to Your Trip;

and

c) You cancel Your Trip 48 hours or more before Your

Scheduled Departure Date.

These benefits will not duplicate any other benefits payable

under the Policy or any coverage(s) attached to the Policy

I'm really not sure what you are asking at this point.

None of us can read that section any better than you can, and we certainly cannot answer whether there are relevant terms elsewhere in your policy.

And it's not clear just what you are worried might not be covered.

Again, call the insurer (Travel Insured claims department) or the insurance broker that you used to purchase the policy.

Ask *them* exactly what your concerns are, and whether it would be "covered". They are the ones who would deal with/know about approving or denying a claim.

(And don't forget about the 48 hour notice. Ask if it starts at midnight, for example, or is it exactly 48 hours before a first flight, or what...?)

One good bit of information I can share is that our big claim (first time we purchased travel insurance, and poof - DH had a medical emergency less than 2 weeks before departure, but at least after a few months he was okay and we could travel more) was with Travel Insured, and they paid promptly after all of the necessary (and appropriate, in our minds) paperwork was received.

But I have no idea if your policy is the same as our policy was, of course.

And ours wasn't a CFAR claim.

GeezerCouple

I, too, have an older dog that I love beyond reason. He isn't sick, but I always worry that something could come up between the time of booking and the time to go. The difference is that I don't have anyone who can take care of him.

If your mother is sick enough to require your care or you need to be in attendance, you probalby could cancel under covered medical reasons. If she just doesn't feel well enough to take care of your dog, then you'd have to cancel under the "any reason" clause. You are aware of the time limit for that. You'd probably know within 48 hours of travel if your mother will be able to take care of the dog.

So to answer your question, yes - you and your friend can both cancel. You'd just have to make the decision within the limit. After that, I'm afraid there is no turning back even if the dog takes a turn for the worse after you leave.

You are out the cost of the insurance either way whether you cancel now or after final payment. With 75% recoverable, you'd be out only a couple of hundred more.

It isn't so much about the money as it is about your mother's health and having appropriate care for your dog while you are gone. It is a tough call, but if you think you'd like to go, you still have time after final payment to see how the situation develops without a lot of money at stake.

As one who has been involved in the insurance industry (medical) for most of my adult life I truly detest marketing terms like "Cancel for any Reason." Folks are well advised to ignore these marketing gimmicks and carefully read the policy.

As to family pets, they sure do become a major part of many families. We used to have a dog (she lived until 17) who rules our lives. Leaving her when we traveled was very difficult and she made sure we knew her displeasure upon our return. When that dog finally died, DW and decided that we could not possibly have another pet and also fulfill our travel desires (which have often had us away over 6 months a year). So we now are "dogless" which is easier then leaving a dog behind. If we ever reach a point when we stop our extensive travel we will certainly be looking for another 4 legged family member.

Hank

As one who has been involved in the insurance industry (medical) for most of my adult life I truly detest marketing terms like "Cancel for any Reason." Folks are well advised to ignore these marketing gimmicks and carefully read the policy.

What's wrong with "Cancel for Any Reason"? If you have to give a short name to the rider, it seems to be a fair one. Yes, there are restrictions, but none of them have to do with the reason you are cancelling.

What's wrong with "Cancel for Any Reason"? If you have to give a short name to the rider, it seems to be a fair one. Yes, there are restrictions, but none of them have to do with the reason you are cancelling.

Well, I want to say because many travelers are "idiots" and do not bother to read the fine print, but I will not say that:). What I will say is that when it comes to insurance (and many other things) I detest marketing terminology which is often not near the truth. When folks see "Cancel for any Reason" many of them think they can cancel for any reason at any time and get all their money refunded. In most cases this is just not how it works.

All we preach here is that cruisers should carefully assess their own personal needs, buy the appropriate insurance for those needs, and carefully read the policy (and fine print) before they make the purchase. Personally, my emphases is on Medical Insurance (the field I worked in for over thirty years) which is often inadequate in many so-called "Travel Insurance Policies."

Hank