My Suit Might Need Pressing

Boiler Cruiser

My DW and I are going to be on the Prinsendam next year for a 2 week cruise. We have a Vista Suite, which I know has some perks.

One service I have not seen, nor do I believe has been discussed is getting a suit pressed.

If my suit needs pressing, can my steward make arrangements to have that done?

Will there be any charge over and above a well-deserved tip?

Thanks.

I can't confirm as to whether you'll be charged, but I once had a jacket pressed, no charge, with a Neptune Suite. I am posting, however, to caution you, as my jacket came back with the lining drooping down below the hem, quite visible in the back. It was permanent and the original crease could not be pressed back to make the liner stay up.

My DW and I are going to be on the Prinsendam next year for a 2 week cruise. We have a Vista Suite, which I know has some perks.

One service I have not seen, nor do I believe has been discussed is getting a suit pressed.

If my suit needs pressing, can my steward make arrangements to have that done?

Will there be any charge over and above a well-deserved tip?

Thanks.

Maybe a Hoosier can help you out. Neptune Suites provide free laundry, dry cleaning and pressing. I personally haven't had any problems with the service. Your steward can definitely get your suit pressed, but I have to plead ignorance on the cost. Vista suites do provide shoe shine service.

I can't confirm as to whether you'll be charged, but I once had a jacket pressed, no charge, with a Neptune Suite. I am posting, however, to caution you, as my jacket came back with the lining drooping down below the hem, quite visible in the back. It was permanent and the original crease could not be pressed back to make the liner stay up.

A tailor once told me that coat linings can stretch through use and then steam irons can make it more pronounced. It was pretty inexpensive to have him fix the problem when I had it occur. It may depend on what the linings are made of as well.

Pressing is an added cost service, except in Neptune suites.

If you buy the unlimited laundry package, you can buy an add-on that will include pressing, as well. It's probably not worth it, unless you have a number of gala night outfits that will require it.

A tailor once told me that coat linings can stretch through use and then steam irons can make it more pronounced. It was pretty inexpensive to have him fix the problem when I had it occur. It may depend on what the linings are made of as well.

That's good to know. This one, however was like new, and high quality (liner most likely a traditional material, nothing that should catch a presser by surprise). I appreciate your comment, though.

No need to add a tip - this is an included and expected service and you have already paid for it. They do a great job for all laundry, pressing and dry cleaning services so enjoy this as one of your included Neptune benefits. Try to think of your cruise as a "cashless" experience.

You paid up front and you can reward special treatment at the end. But no need to hand out cash in the middle for anything - all inclusive, remember. HAL advertises it and you get it in your cruise package. (Including the "voluntary" daily service charge.)

To minimize wrinkling, stuff the arms of the jacket with some tissue paper, and cover the jacket with a dry cleaning plastic bag. Then, as soon as you get your luggage, hang the pants by their cuffs using a clip hangar. Remove the plastic from the jacket and place it on the biggest wood hanger in your closet. (You can remove the tissue paper and use it to beef up the hangar at the shoulders if needed.) Hang the jacket from the robe hook in your room.

Another great way to get wrinkles out is to use steam from a hot shower. Just be careful not to get the clothes wet.

This is the best instruction I have ever seen. I followed directions and packed my husband's suit to cruise in Alaska, turned out perfectly.

I have used this method for a few cruises now and I heartily endorse it.

When you unpack there are minimal wrinkles which a quick steam session in the bathroom will cure. Just steam up the room with hot water from the shower and hang the suit for about 15 minutes with the door closed.

Then hang the suit in the closet and by morning all will be fine.

We have free pressing due to our mariner status but have never had to use it with this method. I also use the big zip locks for a few of my gala night dresses and it works like a charm.