Norwegian Cruise Line Changes Service Charge Policy

LauraS

Yes I eat elsewhere on NCL. Other lines not so much so, but then again if they had the number of choices NCL has...

Have the UDP - the older more comprehensive one - that will likely lead to eating every night elsewhere.

Hate the buffet and NCL's MDR's are not that great or I should say have not been that inspiring to eat at.

Do you tip the customer service desk when you take off the DSC?

Don't forget breakfast, lunch and/or snacks; if one doesn't use the room service, specialty restaurant such as the Atrium cafe or brought there own food from port(s) - pretty much have to pay some DSC in the complimentary places.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Not if its discretionary. And certainly not the full amount.

So just who is in this DSC pool?

And please no guessing.

Why are you so concerned what others do with their money? Worry about your own.

It's OK... this discussion is interesting but will not in anyway be the deciding factor in whatever I do with my $. And the DSC is my money, not NCL's, that I choose to give for good service.

Good is subjective, of course.

Not if its discretionary. And certainly not the full amount.

So just who is in this DSC pool?

And please no guessing.

O,h good grief - Do you really need the link to NCL webpage of ' What's the service charge' again? It pretty much says who's in the DSC money pool. And the 'What about Gratuities' says who's not in it.

It's OK... this discussion is interesting but will not in anyway be the deciding factor in whatever I do with my $. And the DSC is my money, not NCL's, that I choose to give for good service.

Good is subjective, of course.

Yah. You do understand that you don't understand what the Service Charge is for. Right?

It is not a charge for 'good' service nor 'exceptional' service.

Now that you understand this are you still gonna stiff the crew?

O,h good grief - Do you really need the link to NCL webpage of ' What's the service charge' again? It pretty much says who's in the DSC money pool. And the 'What about Gratuities' says who's not in it.

No not really. However can you link the sections that state its discretionary? And the parts that say it has to be ONLY for poor service they can't fix.

This is a contradiction I think. A purposeful one.

Yah. You do understand that you don't understand what the Service Charge is for. Right?

It is not a charge for 'good' service nor 'exceptional' service.

Now that you understand this are you still gonna stiff the crew?

Yah. ;)

No.

I understand what a service charge is, I'm not sure NCL actually has one like those.

Again I don't see this as stiffing the crew. If they get a base salary, then the DSC is not really needed. If it adds to the overall pot, like a tip jar, then so be it.

Nevertheless...the policy to remove it is currently discretionary. At my discretion.

Because the cabins are bigger and you have the private pool deck area, etc.

But the crew working there have fewer cabins to deal with (I know that the Escape will have many more cabins than previous Havens) and a much smaller pool deck, is this not correct?

Edited by legion3

No not really. However can you link the sections that state its discretionary? And the parts that say it has to be ONLY for poor service they can't fix.

This is a contradiction I think. A purposeful one.

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

http://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

There you go - and the guest contract is all the way at the bottom of the webpage too if you want to look what it says. Note, that this whole situation primary affects only reservations booked through the United States, since the bookings through UK/ EU are protected / governed through their region's protection agency / laws. The End.

But the crew working there have fewer cabins to deal with (I know that the Escape will have many more cabins than previous Havens) and a much smaller pool deck, is this not correct?

You haven guests are messier lol. I don't know you will have to take that up with ncl. I sail in a non haven suite and pay the same and I have no issue with it.

© Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary

and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge ,

which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is

intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees

according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier

is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

Thanks

Again I don't see this as stiffing the crew. If they get a base salary, then the DSC is not really needed. If it adds to the overall pot, like a tip jar, then so be it.

Nevertheless...the policy to remove it is currently discretionary. At my discretion.

It is my understanding that those who participate in the service charges earn a monthly salary of $50 to $100. The rest of their income comes from the service charges.

Legally, the contract says:

The charge ,

which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion,

vs the FAQ

Should your concerns not be met with satisfaction you can adjust the charges.

The FAQ is an attempt to be the final word, hoping passengers never look at the contract.

This is the purposeful contradiction. But legally it isn't, the contract is binding the FAQ aren't really anything except a quick review.

It is my understanding that those who participate in the service charges earn a monthly salary of $50 to $100. The rest of their income comes from the service charges.

If true, Then who is truly stiffing the crew? $600 a year? Not even NCL could do that...could they?

Sorry I just don't believe this.