Norwegian Cruise Line Changes Service Charge Policy

LauraS

Again - that's the arrangement between NCL and EU consumer protection agency. Now, if you really have an issue with the NCL fare practices that you believe is unfair- go call up or email the European Commission and tell them. Sheesh, you got more protection than a US citizen in this matter and you don't even know how to practice your right given to you.....

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Wherever do you come up with this stuff??

NCL does not have an 'arrangement' with the European Consumer Protection Agency. There are laws in place in the UK and the EU that protect consumers and NCL must abide by them if they want to continue doing business.

There are laws in North America too. If NCL could legally collect the DSC from everyone and not leave any recourse to adjust or withdraw these amounts they would. But they can't. They have to adhere to American law as well. So they have craftily worded its definition and distribution to be so ambiguous that the consumer really has no idea exactly what is happening and the company themselves can stay just inside the line of the law.

A few keystrokes to the FAQ's on the website and all is well in the world. Like the removal of the wait staff for specialty restaurants from the DSC. NCL introduces an automatic 18% gratuity to the specialty restaurant cover charges. NCL is inundated with accusations of double -dipping and suddenly they announce that specialty restaurant servers are no longer a part of the DSC. No rhyme no reason and certainly no explanation of why this is. Things calm down and still there are questions. Alas a few more key strokes and this new fee suddenly has the words 'service charge' attached to it, which once again gives the power to the company to do with as they see fit. US law is quite clear on the matter if it is just a gratuity then the entire amount must go to the employee. If it is a service charge it can be distributed as they like. By their own admission we know that NCL holds back part of these monies for other purposes.

The DSC came about with the introduction of freestyle dining. Traditionally restaurant staff were compensated predominately through gratuities. With no set staff for guests a new system needed to be devised so along came the DSC, which is collected in replacement of the old tipping format and therefore must be treated as such while still following US laws which means it must be given freely and at the discretion of the customer. Therefore NCL can not force someone to pay by way of denying someone a refund of these fees.

So even if you would like to perceive the new procedures as a way of 'sticking it' to those that adjust or remove the DSC but in all likelihood it is a change made more for efficiency and accounting purposes. There is no reason given so far that might make the policy any different based on where a guest is lives. From all information given to us so far, no matter which division of NCL you book through, everyone who wishes to make any type of adjustment to the DSC must obtain a form from guest services on board the ship and submit the completed document no more than 30 days after the completion of the cruise. All submissions will be processed within two weeks of receipt.

Now you might have names you would like to call those who make adjustments and you might have visions of revenge that NCL can impart on these folks, but lets keep things based in reality and stick with the facts. Not sure why you are so giddy for a simple change in how things are done.

A new procedure has been put in place for any and all adjustments to the DSC. Everyone is to adhere to and follow the exact same steps. There is no reason to believe anyone will be treated differently who follows the established directions.

Rochelle

Sad to hear, especially since many from those countries don't believe in tipping, they are probably not giving cash tips to the crew either. NCL really has to address this by including this in their fares.

Wonder...why can't NCL just have a mandatory service charge like some restaurants do in Europe for those that book through any site other than US.

There are cruise lines that make the service mandatory and not part of the cruise fare. it is not a problem for people in Europe/UK to book on those cruise lines they make it very clear in the brochures web site and the booking process, TA are supposed to remind you when you book if you don't want to pre pay that complies with the regulations

The big names that do this are Costa and MSC. there are others.

This is what this change will be, they just need to say it and make the web and brochures comply with the regulations.

job done.

I don't understand the reluctance to just do the job properly, tell people that have booked about the change update the web and brochures for new bookings.

They need to have processes to address non delivery of contractual obligations service levels are just one of those.

The EU regs are a result of the package holiday industry having serious problems like creating holidays to hotels that did not exist or were 1/2 built.

Basic protection is you get what you were sold.

(cruises are package holidays)

RCI have been running ships as building sites, if anything they are worse than NCL at playing games with consumers.

Currently fare in the UK are much lower than the US on some NCL cruises, many happen to be the European ones and TAs.

US people are starting to use the UK booking engine to save lots of money.

We also get the 18% on our UBP free so some seriously cheap cruises if you like a drink or two.

If true, Then who is truly stiffing the crew? $600 a year? Not even NCL could do that...could they?

Sorry I just don't believe this.

It's a fact. Welcome to those.

Because dsc doesnt go to crew in my opinion it goes to revenue

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'll tell you what. I could GUARANTEE that if the DSC went to revenue, you would NOT be able to remove it.

NCL would not allow you to pick their pocket so easily as by saying...."nah, don't feel like paying you".

That alone tells you they collect it on behalf of the crew. If you reduce it, it doesn't hurt the corporation.

If it were a revenue component, NOT paying it would be the same as reaching final payment date & saying "I don't feel like paying $699 for my cabin, I think $450 is better.". You'd be directly taking money from corporate coffers.

I don't think so.

Stephen

Norwegian’s discretionary daily service charges make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest service during the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers and behind-the-scenes support staff. Any guests who feel the quality of the service they received did not meet their expectations can dispute their daily service charges by emailing Servicecharges@ncl.com, once they have returned from their cruise.

Norwegian’s discretionary daily service charges make it easy for guests to provide gratuities to key onboard staff who provide superior guest service during the cruise, including their room steward, restaurant servers and behind-the-scenes support staff. Any guests who feel the quality of the service they received did not meet their expectations can dispute their daily service charges by emailing Servicecharges@ncl.com, once they have returned from their cruise.

Why do you say "any guests who feel the quality of the service they received did not meet their expectations can dispute their daily service charge"?

None of that is in your guest ticket contract!

The maid is hired to do a job and provide a service. If they go above and beyond their job description and the consumer feels like giving a tip its at the consumers discretion.

You can't possibly know that Stevie. Do you work there or audit their books?

His reasoning is quite sound, what company is going to give you the opportunity to not pay a fee if that fee goes to the company? None that I can think of, ashore or afloat.

Why do you say "any guests who feel the quality of the service they received did not meet their expectations can dispute their daily service charge"?

The maid is hired to do a job and provide a service. If they go above and beyond their job description and the consumer feels like giving a tip its at the consumers discretion.

Ah, but your definition of discretion doesn't match NCL's definition of discretion.

Ah, but your definition of discretion doesn't match NCL's definition of discretion.

Ncl post said service issues blah blah blah none of that nonsense says it in guest service contract (maybe uk one but not North America)... so a service issue is not required to have it removed.

If I want to remove it I will. They can take their sweet time to refund the dsc I am on vaca for 3 months anyways so I can wait lol..

Maybe while I wait I will go to a 2day freebie Carnival cruise taking advantage of their 110% guarantee haha

Edited by jb456

Ncl post said service issues blah blah blah none of that nonsense says it in guest service contract (maybe uk one but not North America)... so a service issue is not required to have it removed.

If I want to remove it I will. They can take their sweet time to refund the dsc to my cardI am on vaca for 3 months anyways so I can wait lol..

Maybe while I wait I will go to a 2day freebie Carnival cruise baking advantage of their 110% guarantee haha

I wish you luck. It's not a fight I would choose to make.

n

Whomever the people were, I know NHLArizona was one - that said NCL was going to track the number of times of passengers removing DSC -You were right....

The new process does not change anything on tracking. They obviously tracked people when removing it on ship.

Funny though some cruise critic members sailed 10+ and have removed dsc and never once stated they recieved different treatment on board.

Edited by jb456

And the Service Charge isn't a tip so all is good. If the Service Charge is paid.

n

The new process does not change anything on tracking. They obviously tracked people when removing it on ship.

Funny though some cruise critic members sailed 10+ and have removed dsc and never once stated they recieved different treatment on board.

Not funny. Stiffing the crew is a disgusting habit.

Not funny. Stiffing the crew is a disgusting habit.

Direct me to a link on what amount each crew in each department gets and what ncl keeps for themselves for incentives. So I know if my money is going to who I want it to go.

You can't!

You're saying it's not about the money?

Huh.

I tip cash. To who services me directly if they have to split it or hand it in its not my problem. I dont go to a restuarant and ask the waiter how many people are working tonight so I can caculate the janitor in a tip. Last cruise left whoever cleaned the room a $100 bill. Dont eat in mdr but at buffet so breakfast and lunch $5 on table to whoever picked up plates and $10 at supper. Then various tips to others that went above and beyond now and then. Like a pool bartender offering to go down two decks to get a coffee since it was not served at that specific bar.

In the end tipped out more then the dsc would have cost. Who got it, who split it, who turned it it in I dont know and dont care. They got money directly based on service I received directly from them.

Edited by jb456

n

Actually it does change everything - you now have to give them your reservation # via email with an explanation on why you're removing it; which has your personal information and maybe a Latitudes number, that even more tracking information.

Remember this new policy just started supposedly 3 weeks ago, maybe even the month the 2nd DSC happen - Before, people could just go up to the Guest Service desk on whatever day before disembark and have it remove; which of course if it was the very last day of the trip, the staff doesn't have much of choice to not want to serve the person or not. Now with new procedure, its all after disembark - so service is going to be the same, because well it already charged to account anyway.

Actually it does change everything - you now have to give them your reservation # via email with an explanation on why you're removing it; which has your personal information and maybe a Latitudes number, that even more tracking information.

Remember this new policy just started supposedly 3 weeks ago, maybe even the month the 2nd DSC happen - Before, people could just go up to the Guest Service desk on whatever day before disembark and have it remove; which of course if it was the very last day of the trip, the staff doesn't have much of choice to not want to serve the person or not. Now with new procedure, its all after disembark - so service is going to be the same, because well it already charged to account anyway.

When you do it on ship they have to log into your account which has your reservation info...latitudes info...

I tip cash. To who services me directly if they have to split it or hand it in its not my problem. I dont go to a restuarant and ask the waiter how many people are working tonight so I can caculate the janitor in a tip. Last cruise left whoever cleaned the room a $100 bill. Dont eat in mdr but at buffet so breakfast and lunch $5 on table to whoever picked up plates and $10 at supper. Then various tips to others that went above and beyond now and then. Like a pool bartender offering to go down two decks to get a coffee since it was not served at that specific bar.

In the end tipped out more then the dsc would have cost. Who got it, who split it, who turned it it in I dont know and dont care. They got money directly based on service I received directly from them.

Just to add. I did not wait to last night to remove it...1 hour after muster drill on first day so they had the whole cruise to mark notes in crew room and give me bad service which they did not.

When you do it on ship they have to log into your account which has your reservation info...latitudes info...

Yes, but the difference is they can track it more properly after disembark which frees up Guest Services with not having to 'deal with it". Again, if your don't like their new procedure of making you pay 1st and remove later - don't ever cruise with them in the future....

Just to add. I did not wait to last night to remove it...1 hour after muster drill on first day so they had the whole cruise to mark notes in crew room and give me bad service which they did not.

A professional renders the same service regardless and I've found the NCL staff to be most professional.