Re: Steak

POA1

Strip loins are not high end meats.

Strip steaks are - and I'm quite serious - the second most expensive cut of beef. This assumes that you don't consider petite filets or filet tips their own thing. A Porterhouse could be considered "in the middle," but that's only because it's the filet and the strip, bone-in.

As I'm a big fan of cow charts**, here's a lovely beef graphic - Sorry if it's a little wide.

36cabf67218ba0d7d52710f830a43df2.jpg

**I'm also a big fan of pie charts, but only if I've finished my dinner.

That's one of the best beef charts I've seen. One little difference in terminology possibly dependent on where we live - we have inside round and outside round (not bottom round) but still in the same price range/category. It certainly defines the strip loin, or loin as an excellent cut.

That's one of the best beef charts I've seen. One little difference in terminology possibly dependent on where we live - we have inside round and outside round (not bottom round) but still in the same price range/category. It certainly defines the strip loin, or loin as an excellent cut.

There was a time when every region and most countries had different names for the same cut, the same name for different cuts and cuts that were simply not available anywhere else!

While I regret the loss of regionalism in general, that's one facet of it I don't miss. At least now you pretty much know what the stuff on the menu is!

Thank you for the cow chart POA !

I keep/save/transfer (!) it in my phone/watch and sometimes I use it for buying a good «chunk» of steak !

Holacanada (Teacher in Graphic Design since 1986 - RE : The rendering of the chart).

Edited by holacanada

Strip steak can be a good steak. Depends on the animal.

Then too, we have to trust the word of the server that this indeed is a strip steak from a properly graded animal, butchered in a sanitary manner.

The last trip I caught misinformation of what I was being served on my plate. Fool me once...

There was a time when every region and most countries had different names for the same cut, the same name for different cuts and cuts that were simply not available anywhere else!

While I regret the loss of regionalism in general, that's one facet of it I don't miss. At least now you pretty much know what the stuff on the menu is!

Whereas we from Australia are not sure what we are eating. :D

Strip steak can be a good steak. Depends on the animal.

Then too, we have to trust the word of the server that this indeed is a strip steak from a properly graded animal, butchered in a sanitary manner.

The last trip I caught misinformation of what I was being served on my plate. Fool me once...

Would you elaborate on that, please? Was this on a cruise, in a restaurant?? What was the misinformation? How did you discover that?

Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

Great chart.

Strip steaks around here cost $15.99 a pound.

We only buy Filets which cost $24.99 a pound.

Wow! One of our national markets is selling New York strip loin steaks this week for 8.99 per pound/19.82 per kilogram. $15.99 is a lot! Sorry, no filets on sale so I can't say what they're going for. POA1 your chart is perfect - if only I still bought meat...[emoji29]

Edited by chefestelle

Would you elaborate on that, please? Was this on a cruise, in a restaurant?? What was the misinformation? How did you discover that?

Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

Recent cruise on Statendam.

Asked what type of salmon, told by server it was Coho. Really it is Atlantic salmon, big diff. You'd think an Alaskan cruise might have some local cuisine.

Speaking of local cuisine, dress up night advertised halibut. I like halibut, but not fashion shows so I saw the Lido was also serving halibut according to the posted menu. Turns out it was tilapia. I pointed out the discrepancy to a suit in the Lido area and he said it didn't matter because it was all good. So, I went to the MDR in my country club who cares look and ordered the halibut. Dry and tasteless, must be Holland halibut or something.

At the local Burgerville, one can get halibut fish and chips, for two bucks more than the cod fish and chips.