Chef's Table on Infinity

patty1955

I agree the value in the meal would be the generous pours if good wines and the dining with other guess in a really enjoyable atmosphere. We have gotten discount without the book.

I also agree, I wish they would step up the menus and let the chefs get creative. All of the items generally seem to be available elsewhere. Before Luminae it came from a mixture of onboard specialty restaurant recipes, now it seems to include some Luminae items. I will say, the chef table preparations have always been very good but that is definitely true of Luminae as well.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenna

My understanding, having done at least five Chef's Tables now is that there is a real problem for the Executive designing the menus: those who take the Chef's Table instead of a visit to a Specialty Restaurant, want something from the normal menu whilst those who do it as well as [or who otherwise have had their fill of the non-changing menus] want something different.

There is a similar reason for the Specialty Restaurant menus varying little over the years. People want a change in the menu but as soon as their favourite is replaced, they complain. If only everyone had the same favourites ... [i know that I would love to see the back of the goats cheese soufflé as I hate goats cheese in any form but it is a huge favourite of many diners.]

Jenna

My understanding, having done at least five Chef's Tables now is that there is a real problem for the Executive designing the menus: those who take the Chef's Table instead of a visit to a Specialty Restaurant, want something from the normal menu whilst those who do it as well as [or who otherwise have had their fill of the non-changing menus] want something different.

If someone wants the normal menu, they should go to the restaurant. by definition really, a Chef's table should be what the Chef dreams up. We've done at least 4, I've lost count. I can't say I have ever been to one where it was anyone's first specialty restaurant experience. The best experiences we had were the ones in the kitchen and the one, on deck 12 aft on Connie when we had a late departure from Marmaris. For that one the chef actually went and purchased local ingredients like sardines and veggies. It was a bit cold that evening in November, but they brought us blankets and it was truly memorable.

There is a similar reason for the Specialty Restaurant menus varying little over the years. People want a change in the menu but as soon as their favourite is replaced, they complain. If only everyone had the same favourites ... [i know that I would love to see the back of the goats cheese soufflé as I hate goats cheese in any form but it is a huge favourite of many diners.]

Sure, restaurants grapple with this all the times. The ones that never change, and keep current customers happy will eventually struggle. All businesses need to innovate, evolve and bring in new customers, or perish. They know which items "sell" and which don't. Time to change and modernize.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

If someone wants the normal menu, they should go to the restaurant. by definition really, a Chef's table should be what the Chef dreams up. We've done at least 4, I've lost count. I can't say I have ever been to one where it was anyone's first specialty restaurant experience. The best experiences we had were the ones in the kitchen and the one, on deck 12 aft on Connie when we had a late departure from Marmaris. For that one the chef actually went and purchased local ingredients like sardines and veggies. It was a bit cold that evening in November, but they brought us blankets and it was truly memorable.

Sure, restaurants grapple with this all the times. The ones that never change, and keep current customers happy will eventually struggle. All businesses need to innovate, evolve and bring in new customers, or perish. They know which items "sell" and which don't. Time to change and modernize.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenna

I couldn't agree with you more - I was just passing on what we have been told on a number of occasions, even whilst being told how excited they were to have produced a "totally new" Chef's Table menu.

Not changing the Specialty Restaurant menus almost lost us to cruising [not just to Celebrity] completely at the end of 2013 just as they announced what was to become Luminae. Just guess that we are not the typical cruiser but at least with Luminae Celebrity are indicating that some non-typical cruisers are part of their "bread and butter".

As it is, we continue to enjoy the Chef's Table but the food, and even the wine, are only a small part of that enjoyment. During our first few years of cruising, we had some wonderful tablemates in the MDR. We learned how spoiled we had been when we came across a really bad table [fellow cruisers and wait staff] and abandoned the MDR for good. A bad table allows the other issues with the MDR [such as the noise and vibrations] to come to the fore. The Chef's Table allows us to experience a good table plus again and by making the right choices from the limited menu we have fabulous evenings.

Edited by Project_gal

• 11 months later...
$279/person seems high relative to a meal at Murano or equivalent...even if I allocate $100/person to the wines.

Must have been a typo: $2.79 for raw hamburger and potato (crispy) chips. And perhaps the OP meant it was worth 'a' penny instead of 'every' penny.

My weekly grocery bill doesn't amount to $279.00! eek:

Is the Chef's Table in Murano?

We did one a few years ago on another cruise line and it was held in the galley. It was wonderful to see the action of the galley at dinner and have amazing meal. There were 12 of us and we had 2 chefs and 4 servers taking care of us. Wine glass never was empty:)

Must have been a typo: $2.79 for raw hamburger and potato (crispy) chips. And perhaps the OP meant it was worth 'a' penny instead of 'every' penny.

My weekly grocery bill doesn't amount to $279.00! eek:

There was no typo (obviously.) $279 for dinner for two people is not that outrageous, we've paid more for excursions and had just been to a concert (Sting and Paul Simon) that cost more.

OK, I'm good with $279/couple...that's somewhat of a bargain given the wines, and I don't think I'm far off allocating $100/person to the wines...especially if they poured full 6 oz glasses and/or offered seconds or generous pours. I've been on two cruises this year and never heard about this chefs table dinner option. Wonder if you get some sort of credit if you are in a suite and get free specialty dining? Probably not.

I just did the Chefs Table on RCL Freedom for $85 a person. 6 courses and very expensive and good wine! Best dinner I've had on a cruise. That being said I couldn't justify $279 a couple. Glad you enjoyed it though!

Thanks for the information! We have some obc we'll need to use, and this may be the way we go. I really appreciate it.

Do you think they will allow a single to partake at half the price? She also would not be interested in receiving the cookbook.

Appreciate any help, but am looking forward to giving this a try. We've done the Chef's Table on other lines and have always enjoyed it immensely.

Happy sailing, all!

Susan

• 4 months later...

I live in NY and love fine dining. I took my wife to a NYC restaurant and spent $800 for the two of us. A month before we did the Chef's Table on the Carnival Sunshine $79PP?. A much, much, much superior experience than the NYC restaurant. Forget about the extra charge. It is not having dinner but a life long experience. PS I consume a lot of wine and my glass was never less than one quarter full. I was so happy with the experience I left a $100 tip as well.

Did the price include the cookbook? If yes, could you get a lower price without the cookbook?

Did they offer a cheese course?

Our last Chef's table on an M class ship was a disappointment. The ones we did on the S class were much better.

We did the chef's table on Equinox last November and I asked if we could not get the book and get a lower price on the dinner. Answer was definitely no, it was all part of the deal. So we put it in our carry on and brought it home. It's a lovely book, I just didn't really need it. But the chef's table was wonderful. Great way to use some of the OBC.

Thinking about doing this as I have not done one with Celebrity. I am surprised that so many of the menu items are ones we know well from Murano's. I would have expected and wanted to try more different things.

We did a chefs table on the Allure which was a taster menu, lots of small courses, non available elsewhere.....we found this fun and we tried things we wouldn't normally because they were just a taste, you were not committing to a full course. It came with a cookbook and a group photograph.

Sincere thanks, Patty 1955 for posting the menu, food for thought!

Our menu items were unique offerings that the executive chef made for just our chef's table. Not one of them appeared on any menu on the ship. Wine was generous and wonderful and one could have as much as one could drink - but there was beautiful champagne beforehand and with about 4 or 5 glasses of wine during dinner, not too many wanted "seconds."

Our dessert was a trio of great little items. We got the photo, the chefs autographed our cookbook, we had a tour of the main dining room galley during dinner service and of the wine tower, and the Murano kitchen during dinner service. Very fun, and we'd do again. We didn't see it advertised anywhere. We just knew about it and asked the concierge in Michael's Club to arrange it for us. That was on embarkation day. She said to give her two days. The next afternoon we got a note from her that it was scheduled for Thanksgiving night. It was really perfect.

On the Summit two years ago, the chef's table was the same menu items as Murano's. We met first at Cellar's and had an assortment of hot hor's deurves (sp?) and champagne (the better bottles, we went through four). Then there was a galley tour during the dinner rush. Then the meal in the wine room at Murano's. The menu was the very same offerings as on the regular wine paring menu. Each woman received a fresh rose and everyone received a picture taken with all the guests and officers in attendance. The meal was excellent, and the officer's company was delightful, but not quite worth the expense. Also, a couple of the men, were quite full of themselves that they could afford the dinner. If became kind of "who has the biggest **** in their pants" conversation as they became increasingly sloshed. Now that Tuscan has replaced Murano, I have no interest in the chef's table at that cost. Tuscan is quite good, but not that good.'No cookbook was offered. We had to ask about the chef's table several times, and were told that there would be one only if enough people inquired. Apparently enough did and we received a call scheduling it. 11 passenger and 2 officers attended.

• 4 years later...
On 9/16/2015 at 7:02 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Did the price include the cookbook? If yes, could you get a lower price without the cookbook?

Did they offer a cheese course?

Our last Chef's table on an M class ship was a disappointment. The ones we did on the S class were much better.

When we did it the price was supposed to include the cookbook - but they had run out! The price was not lowered as a result.