Why is everyone using gift cards?

cntrydncr1

If you're referring to the gift cards purchased through Verizon or AARP, then yes, there is a financial advantage.

When you purchase through these venues, you basically get a 10% discount on the purchase of the cards. Said another way, you can purchase a $500 gift card for $450. You can also purchase gift cards in $100 amounts as well for $90.

For me personally, using the gift cards, I was able to purchase a $3000 cruise for only $2700 out of pocket.

Garnett

Just wondering if there is some financial benefit to getting gift cards?? They seem to be a hot topic here!

Around here, we can get Carnival Gift Cards at Kroger and you get 2x (or many times 4x) fuel rewards promotions. I knew I was going to use $200 for buying excursions on my next cruise, so I bought gift cards at Kroger, and it gave me $.40/gal of gas (it was only a 2x reward). It's not the great savings of the 10% off, but since I am right next to a Kroger, and gas there is $1.99/gal right now, it made sense to run in (took less than 5 mins) and pay $1.59/gal for my fill-up.

Another thought: when someone asks you what you want for your birthday or Christmas, it's easier/more polite to ask for a Carnival gift card than say can you give me cash? Or pay for my cruise I am greedy! For example, I know my son is going on a cruise in December, his birthday is in November, I for sure would give him gift cards to make his cruise brighter. I know cash is king, but then I again, I know the money will be spent on his cruise for a happier time! Maybe he will think of his Mom as he sits and enjoys the sunset on the deck with his wife :eek:

I saved 10% on the AARP gift cards and my TA gave me 10% in OBC. That helps a lot especially since our Thanksgiving cruise is expensive and has yet to experience any good discounts. I am getting ready to buy a couple of Avis gift cards for 10% off of our rental cars to and from Miami. Every little bit helps. :);):)

I saved 10% on the AARP gift cards and my TA gave me 10% in OBC. That helps a lot especially since our Thanksgiving cruise is expensive and has yet to experience any good discounts. I am getting ready to buy a couple of Avis gift cards for 10% off of our rental cars to and from Miami. Every little bit helps. :);):)

If you are going through AARP, you can also get the $50 hotel gift card for free (minus the points, of course).

If you are going to be relying on your credit card for rental CDW coverage, I would avoid rental car gift cards. You have to pay for the entire rental on your credit card to be covered by their CDW coverage. This is one reason I avoid the car rental gift cards at a 10% discount. The savings simply isn't worth it. I don't want to rely on my personal auto insurance coverage for a rental car when I have a credit card that provides me with primary CDW.

I just bought 3 $100 gift cards from eBay - they're having a promotion where you get 10% in eBay Bucks with pretty much any purchase. So it's basically $270 for the $300 worth of gift cards... I know it's not "quite" as good as saving the actual cash, but believe me, there's enough things on eBay I can buy anyway! :D

I seen that but did not understand how it works. How do I find out about how it works?

From the Rewards for Good site (you get 2 $50 "promotional cards" and can only use 1 at a time)--

1. This card ("Promotional Card" or "Offer") is a promotional card only and entitles the recipient of this Offer to $50 off of the purchase of a minimum two-night stay on available dates at any of the more than 10,000 hotels listed at http://www.myhotelgiftcard.com ("Website") according to the rules set forth herein and elsewhere on the Website. Here are some important terms that apply to your use of the Promotional Card:

You must book online at http://www.myhotelgiftcard.com.

There is a minimum two (2) night stay at participating hotels.

This Offer is subject to availability as shown on Website at time of booking.

You must pay the balance for your stay with a major credit card at time of booking.

Penalties may apply if you cancel your booking; these will be revealed before you book.

This Offer may not be combined with any other offer.

This Promotional Card is not redeemable for cash, and no refunds are provided for any unused portion of the Promotional Card. You have no vested right or interest in the value of this Promotional Card.

This Promotional Card is non-transferable and non-assignable.

This Offer expires one year from date of issuance except where otherwise required by law.

Edited by Schoifmom