Best meds for sea sickness

mommyto3nj

I get sea sick very easy. Learned from cruise critics to use Bonine two days before cruise and every night while on ship at bed time.I also use the sea bands when it is ruff out.I bring ginger pills and candy.I was sea sick first cruise but not anymore we will be going on our 16th cruise in 3 weeks.I dont know what i would do without cruise critics.

This is our first cruise and I have no idea if any of us will get seasick. We are in Canada and I've never seen most of the products mentioned here. We have a lot of Gravol on the shelves, but not a whole lot else? I've seen some kind of seasickness bands somewhere. Walmart here does not sell most of the products you Americans get (yeah, kinda sucks sometimes)! So, the question is: I'm going to get some of those bands and Bonine before we cruise. Can I find these at pretty much any drug store or Walmart?

Scopolamine, aka the patch, didn't have any adverse effects for me, and the listed side effects are pretty rare and minimal. Talk to your doctor to see if it's an option. It works very very well. I've used it for fishing trips on smaller boats, I rarely feel sick on the large boats. I've also used Bonine on fishing boats and while it worked, I didn't feel perfect, still a little "off".

For those who cannot take drugs for various reasons there is a battery operated product, voyager relief band, from neurowave. It can be purchased at a marine store or ships store or online. It's expensive but works. It's used mostly by serious sports fishermen or those who take boats, rather than ships, to the islands etc. It works for me. Kind of like sea bands on steroids! If you can take drugs an OTC antihistamine works as well as bonine. Dramamine makes a "less drowsey " version now. Small boat-high waves-electronic band for me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ok ladies and gentlemen, I need help. I get seasick and I know going out in November on the BA from NYC will make me sick. Normally I wear the patch, but the last time I did, the patch caused sinus issues! So I'm scared to try that again.

Suggestions? I have the drink package and want some beers too so hopefully whatever you suggest doesn't interfere with alcohol :)

BONINE!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BONINE!!!!

I've tried it all.

I start taking it 2 nights before I get on ship and then every night while on ship.

Right before bed.

Drank more than a few beers [emoji16] and never had an issue.

Our last cruise had a day that shut the Spa down with rocky seas.

I loved it. No issues.

I tried ginger, green apples, the patch, wrist bands and other things.

Dramamine puts me in a coma even if I take it at night. I wake up very hard and feel out of it.

Won't cruise without taking BONINE every night.

Good luck!!

Edited by bagzrpacked

I have to heartily agree with the sea bands. I get sea sick even when I snorkle for too long, or as I always used to say, I get sea sick on a water bed (that really dates me), and I swear by the sea bands. You have to use one on each wrist, and put them in the correct spot. There should be directions, but if not, put your 3 middle fingers on your wrist starting from right above your hand, and place the sea band above that. I see people wearing them loose like bracelets, and that's not going to work. For any of you who also feel queasy after you get off the ship for a few days, I wear them for 2 days after my cruise ends. If things are really rocky, I do go with meclazine in addition, especially at night while I am sleeping.

Another vote for Bonine!

I always be sure to pick some up when I'm in the states. I use it for flights, cruises, and Disney Parks. I have no problems taking it over multiple days.

It has been the only tried and true med that works for me.

I have bad motion sickness if I forget to take it :(

Scopolamine, aka the patch, didn't have any adverse effects for me, and the listed side effects are pretty rare and minimal. Talk to your doctor to see if it's an option. It works very very well. I've used it for fishing trips on smaller boats, I rarely feel sick on the large boats. I've also used Bonine on fishing boats and while it worked, I didn't feel perfect, still a little "off".

Same with me.. no side effects with the patch, at all. However, Meclizine (Bonine) makes me drowsy. Everyone needs to find what is right for THEM. I find ginger (in any form .. capsules, gum or chew) to be great as well.

Edited by bboop51