Ketchikan wilderness adventure and crab feast

kitegirl

Hi everyone.... Has anyone gone on this excursion? We are going to Alaska next September and DH really wants to do this tour. It involves going on a boat tour of the coast and then to a lodge for crab feast.

I am disabled and use a walker..... Would this tour be suitable for me being not terrible mobile??

Any review you can give would be great.... i did read up some reviews but nothing was mentioned about accessability....

Thanks in advance

I have done this excursion a number of times. The only issue is lots of stairs but there is a van to bring those who cannot take the stairs down to the lodge:

IMG_0791.jpg

Once at the bottom of the stairs, your walker will be fine. There is a ramp down to the boat that you might need some help to maneuver. The boat portion will take you to an area where crab pots are sitting on the sand below the water. You will be able to touch the crabs.

Here is a link to my photographs. Note that the crab feast supports both a boat tour as well as a float plane ride:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/ketchikan/ketchikan-crab-feasting/

You will be given one hour to eat all of the crab that you can AFTER a class on disassembly, free bar, and appetizers. Save room for crab that will be continuously served whenever you raise your hand. I could only manage 5 crab halves after eating a few too many appetizers. The crab will have been caught just a few hours before you arrive to eat so let gluttony prevail!

While you are waiting to board your catamaran, keep an eye out for black bears who like to visit the lodge property.

Edited by Crew News

WOW... great pictures... thank you for that. Sure are a lot of steps so glad to hear they have a van .... and that the boat will be accessible. Is the boat covered or an open type ... How many passengers at one time are on the boat portion?

The crab looks wonderful. I am drooling already... :D

How do you get from the ship to the lodge? We will be on Celebrity Infinity..on Sept 4th out of Vancouver....

Again thank you for the fast reply....

WOW... great pictures... thank you for that. Sure are a lot of steps so glad to hear they have a van .... and that the boat will be accessible. Is the boat covered or an open type ... How many passengers at one time are on the boat portion?

The crab looks wonderful. I am drooling already... :D

How do you get from the ship to the lodge? We will be on Celebrity Infinity..on Sept 4th out of Vancouver....

Again thank you for the fast reply....

The catamaran is covered and my guess is 50 passengers.

There will be about a 25 minute bus ride each way to the lodge. It is now a paved road all of the way. A few years ago, it was 10 minutes of gravel road.