Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

FAB1

That was posted at 13.30 yesterday but the OP never came back on to let people know what happened in the end. Was he moaning for the sake of it? And we don't know what his official boarding time was anyway. It might have been 3pm for all we know!

He arrived by coach...but he doesn't say if it was an "official" P &O organised coach. If it wasn't he won't be covered by the new arrangements.

I did see another post saying he was on and about to go to muster at 4.45 pm

Well i accept that some people are rude and that is unacceptable, but some staff are incompetent as well and need better training.

I might come across rude here but it seems to me that every time we go the check in staff seem to be getting more mature.

I might come across rude here but it seems to me that every time we go the check in staff seem to be getting more mature.

I thought this too but didn't want to appear ageist 😉

I am no spring chicken but they all seem a fair bit older than me. I expect they are all part time and only called upon when needed. Maybe their wages top up their pension 😉

I am no spring chicken but they all seem a fair bit older than me. I expect they are all part time and only called upon when needed. Maybe their wages top up their pension 😉

Aww bless, good idea but it does seem to take a long time to check in. When we went on Independence of the Seas last year the check in assistant whizzed through our details.

If any of you are interested in how Royal Caribbean do check in at Southampton fellow cruise critic member Duncan (dst87) has a cruise blog which shows you how quickly they process people.

http://duncanwrites.co.uk/2015/10/technology-and-check-in/

The lady says 30 seconds per person is the aim. Its quite impressive.

Edited by CCFC

If any of you are interested in how Royal Caribbean do check in at Southampton fellow cruise critic member Duncan (dst87) has a cruise blog which shows you how quickly they process people.

http://duncanwrites.co.uk/2015/10/technology-and-check-in/

The lady says 30 seconds per person is the aim. Its quite impressive.

Indeed it is. We boarded Anthem three weeks ago and the speed was astounding. As long as you've done your online check in in full and uploaded your photo then all they do is check your passports, scan your luggage tags and on you go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't worry - the time to feel old is when the mature staff at P&O look like they're very young ------ then you know you're getting old ;)

Just to add to the debate re the staff and age though - can't see that it makes any difference. There are good and bad, pleasant and miserable in any generation.

I have never heard anything as ridiculous as these posts about the age of the people checking us in. The person that said they were a mature person on an earlier post should be ashamed of themselves and No I am not elderly, very much of the younger generation that cruise.

Have you never had rubbish or slow service from a young person. I certainly have.

Again, it's all about get me on first and be quick about it.

If they do happen to be a bit elderly and perhaps a bit slow, should we not be showing a bit of patience and compassion for these people trying to ensure they get us onboard as best they can. Especially when they have to deal with the moaners arriving early and expecting to get on regardless.

But no, I need to get to the buffet first to pile up my plate and feel extremely smug with myself.

What is wrong with people that cruise these days? Becoming more and more selfish if these posts are anything to go by.

I have never heard anything as ridiculous as these posts about the age of the people checking us in. The person that said they were a mature person on an earlier post should be ashamed of themselves and No I am not elderly, very much of the younger generation that cruise.

Have you never had rubbish or slow service from a young person. I certainly have.

Again, it's all about get me on first and be quick about it.

If they do happen to be a bit elderly and perhaps a bit slow, should we not be showing a bit of patience and compassion for these people trying to ensure they get us onboard as best they can. Especially when they have to deal with the moaners arriving early and expecting to get on regardless.

But no, I need to get to the buffet first to pile up my plate and feel extremely smug with myself.

What is wrong with people that cruise these days? Becoming more and more selfish if these posts are anything to go by.

Are you never prepared to accept that other people might have an equally valid point of view to yours.

I am quite happy to accept that your experience might well be different to mine, but surely you ought to be able to accept that my point of view has equal merit.

I always try to make comparisons with other similar experiences I have had, and because of these experiences I feel I am entitled to air these comparisons.

I am not certain whether you have sailed with other lines, but if not can I suggest you try one or two rather than always assume that P&O are the cat's whiskers.

When I checked in for the Anthem 3 weeks ago the lady was middle aged plus (probably). It didn't stop her checking me in efficiently or in a friendly manner. 15 minutes from arrival to boarding, including a 5 minute wait as she checked in some people in front of me.

Indeed it is. We boarded Anthem three weeks ago and the speed was astounding. As long as you've done your online check in in full and uploaded your photo then all they do is check your passports, scan your luggage tags and on you go.

I was on the same cruise as Kevin and like him was amazed how easy it was. I was sat by the pool with my Torched Cherry Sangria by 11:30 :)

When I checked in for the Anthem 3 weeks ago the lady was middle aged plus (probably). It didn't stop her checking me in efficiently or in a friendly manner. 15 minutes from arrival to boarding, including a 5 minute wait as she checked in some people in front of me.

I was on the same cruise as Kevin and like him was amazed how easy it was. I was sat by the pool with my Torched Cherry Sangria by 11:30 :)

A torched cherry sangria sounds very exotic, Next cruise maybe.

Although I have not read all the postings in this thread, the 100 or so that I have read recall fond memories of those innocent days when boarding a ship did not involve the current rigmarole - which I realise is inevitable.

In the late 1980s and early 90s our favourite ship was the Canberra, despite having to endure unpleasant flights between Toronto and London (the budget didn't stretch to Atlantic ocean crossings in addition to these cruises). Upon arriving at the terminal, whether by taxi or boat train, we approached one of the two check-in clerks. Yes, there were only two, but all the person did was remove the ticket and hand us ship identification cards which we were instructed to fill in after we boarded the ship. The check-in clerk handed the tickets to other clerks at a table behind her and they completed the check-in procedure as we walked up the gangway. The only passport check I recall was by an immigration officer who merely glanced at them as we entered the terminal and there was no need to go through airport-style security, pose for security photographs nor to present a credit card.

Those days are gone for good, of course.

Are you never prepared to accept that other people might have an equally valid point of view to yours.

I am quite happy to accept that your experience might well be different to mine, but surely you ought to be able to accept that my point of view has equal merit.

I always try to make comparisons with other similar experiences I have had, and because of these experiences I feel I am entitled to air these comparisons.

I am not certain whether you have sailed with other lines, but if not can I suggest you try one or two rather than always assume that P&O are the cat's whiskers.

So why can you accept my experience is different to yours?

I most certainly have sailed on other lines. RCI and Cota to name a couple.

I, like you are entitled, as is everyone on here entitled to air what their experiences/opinions are.

You say you are quite happy to accept my experience then go on to make a massive assumption.

I have no problem with what you post, so why would you mine? We disagree on this and as far as I am concerned thats absolutely fine. That's what these boards are for.

Our experiences are different. Surely that's ok. :confused:

Pot, kettle, black.

Kindly read your third paragraph. With respect, is that not rather condescending?

With respect, absolutely not.

Perhaps read back and then you'll perhaps understand my post as it was in reference to what another poster said.

Are we losing after many posts, the first point. Will we have to wait

Until the e ticket time to check in? Or not?

The problem is I don't think anyone knows for sure, lots of different interpretation and messaging on the board, from P&O and the actual experience of people currently boarding. For what it's worth my assessment having read everything from both this thread snd the Caribbean tier thread is that: You don't have to stick to your time but if you arrive early you will have to wait until they slot you in - this may or may not be before your allocated time depending on what is going on in the terminal that day. I think it is the intention of P&O to apply this to all passengers including Caribbean, but they can go to the front of whichever queue they get to join. At present I don't think this is fully operational because the system is bedding in, P&O are getting quite a lot of feedback to consider and I think they are preparing a communication to all Peninsular members - which I think will clarify what the changes actually mean. Before this communication is issued I think they are exercising discretion in what they do on the ground and what they communicate - hence the confusion. So I think we have to sit and wait and there isn't much point in fighting amongst ourselves about the rights and wrongs of the situation, or about how we think it should be done. I do believe P&O monitor the forum, this is good in some respects as it's a way for them to gauge feedback, on the other hand I think the way some individuals speak to others on the forum gives a rather depressing picture of their customer base, and an indication of what must go on onboard.

Thanks, for a very considered opinion. My travel agent told me to go

As per usual. In other words, early! It has to be a gamble.

Perhaps we will know more before our aurora departure, on the 28th.

On a personal level, my wife is a wheelchair user, and with assistance

Have in the past been taken straight to check in.

The problem is I don't think anyone knows for sure, lots of different interpretation and messaging on the board, from P&O and the actual experience of people currently boarding. For what it's worth my assessment having read everything from both this thread snd the Caribbean tier thread is that: You don't have to stick to your time but if you arrive early you will have to wait until they slot you in - this may or may not be before your allocated time depending on what is going on in the terminal that day. I think it is the intention of P&O to apply this to all passengers including Caribbean, but they can go to the front of whichever queue they get to join. At present I don't think this is fully operational because the system is bedding in, P&O are getting quite a lot of feedback to consider and I think they are preparing a communication to all Peninsular members - which I think will clarify what the changes actually mean. Before this communication is issued I think they are exercising discretion in what they do on the ground and what they communicate - hence the confusion. So I think we have to sit and wait and there isn't much point in fighting amongst ourselves about the rights and wrongs of the situation, or about how we think it should be done. I do believe P&O monitor the forum, this is good in some respects as it's a way for them to gauge feedback, on the other hand I think the way some individuals speak to others on the forum gives a rather depressing picture of their customer base, and an indication of what must go on onboard.

Agree agree agree like like like. A sensible voice.

Once we have all cruised once under the new way then maybe we can comment. As you say at the moment a lot of it is guesswork.

on the other hand I think the way some individuals speak to others on the forum gives a rather depressing picture of their customer base, and an indication of what must go on onboard.

You are so right. Thankfully, in my experience it is a relative few.

Yes it is a waiting game Florry. I wouldn't mind this if I had time to wait but it is the passengers that are sailing now or soon:eek::eek: that are being caught up in the check ins that are not flowing too well. Maybe all will be sorted out by next summer:confused:

Thanks, for a very considered opinion. My travel agent told me to go

As per usual. In other words, early! It has to be a gamble.

Perhaps we will know more before our aurora departure, on the 28th.

On a personal level, my wife is a wheelchair user, and with assistance

Have in the past been taken straight to check in.

SS, I would hope wheelchair users needing assistance would always be given priority whatever time they arrive. I know and understand how it is so much more difficult for you and your wife making any sort of journey, you just don't have the same options as the rest of us and there are so many other things you need to consider and cope with. So let's hope common sense prevails on that point.