Azura - New Improved Embarkation Process

FAB1

I hope you have a fabulous time on your world cruise! Aurora has never been our favourite ship after a poor xmas cruise on her in 2011 but we are hoping that the changes which have been made including a Glasshouse and Sindhu will make it a more enjoyable cruise for us this time round!

Not looking forward to the embarkation debacle which it seems to be now but hoping things may be a bit more organised by then!

Yes, they have a few weeks to get the embarkation sorted by the time we sail - fingers crossed, eh?

I was on Aurora just before she went in for refurbishment, so I am looking forward to seeing the changes. :)

Edited by Scriv

Hi Trish

We were also on this cruise, which I hope you enjoyed as much as we all did. We arrived at the Port after sitting in traffic along with those boarding on Anthem (glad we weren't on that, the queue was horrendous). We entered the terminal around 2.00 p.m. and were in our cabin around 3.00 which was half an hour before our official embarkation time. Our luggage was waiting for us, but we had sent it with The Baggage Company a few days earlier. With regards to the sea conditions, it wasn't great but I suppose to be expected in end of October. I coped lot better than I have previously, but I am still swaying nearly six days later.

Mandy

We only swayed on the Saturday/Sunday, something we have never done since our very first cruise 7 years ago. We did have a lovely time and thought the food and entertainment was very good once more. Our luggage must have got lost as we didn't get it until after muster and sailaway.:(

Thanks for letting us all know Florry. Have a fab time. :)

Interesting re the 40 mins queue from the dock turning to the car park.... would that include people just dropping people off? Was it The Mayflower Terminal?

I ask as is this we also have to factor in when calculating our arrival time?

Sorry Scriv, I missed this, it was one long queue and it was the Mayflower which didn't seem as easy as Ocean Terminal. I suspect you are now onboard Oceana - let us know how your cruise went :)

Interesting post on FB regarding boarding today.

Just embarked on the Arcadia - was really dreading the getting on after all the negative hype!!!! A great experience- arriving to first drink in ONE hour and that included unpacking!!! Well done and thank you P&O - bring on the holiday!!!!!!! a fantastic start.

Just embarked on the Arcadia - was really dreading the getting on after all the negative hype!!!! A great experience- arriving to first drink in ONE hour and that included unpacking!!! Well done and thank you P&O - bring on the holiday!!!!!!! a fantastic start.

Dai

But are you not in a suite with priority boarding? In which case the new rules don't really affect you ..........................

Dai

But are you not in a suite with priority boarding? In which case the new rules don't really affect you ..........................

Please read the post carefully. It was not me it was a post on FB from someone boarding Arcadia today. He has also said he arrived within 5 mins. of the Eticket time.

This is what I have said for some time, arrive at the correct time and embarkation gets much better.

I was also unsure whether or not you (daiB) were on the cruise or were quoting someone else. Thanks for relaying the message as I am not on FB etc, etc. Let's hope that people get the message - turn up close to your slot and it should be plain sailing! It is good to hear how it is working in practice.

One does wonder what their embarkation time was though Dai, as they don't mention it?

One does wonder what their embarkation time was though Dai, as they don't mention it?

Why would it make any difference what time the embarkation was? Anyway looking at the post it looks like around 14.00 assuming he posted within 10 mins of getting his drink which is most likely

Sorry if people do not like it but it shows the process is working. As I posted before other people reported this from the last Arcadia cruise as well.

Totally agree. Great if they had a good embarkation time - not like us who got 4.30pm despite booking 17 months in advance. Sorry, this new system just winds me up as it seems unfair and has no transparency. I really am trying not to reply to posts, but am failing miserably :rolleyes:

Why would it make any difference what time the embarkation was? Anyway looking at the post it looks like around 14.00 assuming he posted within 10 mins of getting his drink which is most likely

Sorry if people do not like it but it shows the process is working. As I posted before other people reported this from the last Arcadia cruise as well.

Second quote from the same departure.

We were about ten minutes late for embarkation but as soon as we arrived were fast tracked straight on board. By the time we found our cabin our luggage was there. Excellent service

Don't want to get drawn back into this but if I get a late (after 2pm) embarkation time I am not going to arrive in Southampton then. I have to plan for contingencies.

Those who are saying it works are those who get a time that suits them.

Otherwise we face sitting in a terminal for hours

Totally agree. Great if they had a good embarkation time - not like us who got 4.30pm despite booking 17 months in advance. Sorry, this new system just winds me up as it seems unfair and has no transparency. I really am trying not to reply to posts, but am failing miserably :rolleyes:

Oh dear Presto2, not a happy person--

It would probably be helpful to a lot of people who frequent this board..a very small minority of those on the actual ship, if they posted on their returns

What their given boarding time was.

What their arrival time at the terminal was

What time they actually boarded.

Might make it easier to assess how the system is working.

Agree no one knows at the moment with any clarity how its going.

You're very lucky that you live close enough to drive. Some of us have very long journeys which take more than a day, particularly those of us who do not fly.

For others, the arrival time of flights, trains etc make it impossible to time an arrival to just 30 mins before boarding time. For example there is a flight from Edinburgh to Southampton at 6:45 arriving 8.25 then again at 10:25 arriving 12:00 noon. Any flight after that would result in missing the ship as the next one doesn't arrive till 16:25. Most people I know take the 6:45 in case there's any problem with the 10:25. I'm sure you will understand that these people have been up since 4:00 a.m. and just want to get on the ship ASAP. This is just one example of people who don't find it easy to time their arrival to 30 mins before check-in time.

IMO your post actually sounds very stressed. "For goodness sake, it's fairly easy". People are simply expressing a view which is different from yours and about which they feel strongly but that does not mean they are stressed or pathetic. Nor is it pathetic that some people cannot understand why this change has been made without appropriate commmunication. Please try to respect the views of others.

I can understand your problem......If you contact customer services would they allocate an earlier embarkation time ?

It would probably be helpful to a lot of people who frequent this board..a very small minority of those on the actual ship, if they posted on their returns

Good point, but when you booked the cruise may need adding as I think this is an issue with the new system. Make it fair and we will be 100% on board with it.... if you excuse the term!!!

Sorry - really must shut up now ............. :D:)

Apologies if I am doing anyone's head in with the constant moans on this topic. We're usually very positive cruisers really and don't moan much at all ..... honest ;)

Sorry disagree, people are posting as I have shown that it is working fine. Little or no waiting.

Presto, I have never heard of anybody getting 4.30? Was the embarkation delayed?

the latest I have had is 3.30 which changed the day before to 2.00. Next cruise I had 2.30, which also changed to 13.30.

Whatever it is, why not arrive within 30 minutes of the allocated time and just go with the flow. It's so easy.

Presto, I have never heard of anybody getting 4.30? Was the embarkation delayed?

the latest I have had is 3.30 which changed the day before to 2.00. Next cruise I had 2.30, which also changed to 13.30.

Whatever it is, why not arrive within 30 minutes of the allocated time and just go with the flow. It's so easy.

Yip 4.30pm - we left at 6.30pm. We originally had 3.30pm and it changed to the later time. Had been in Southampton from the Thursday (due to sail Saturday) as when we booked 18 months before the cruise arriving at 11.30am was ok.

As it was we arrived at noon and went with the flow as we have done in the past and been advised to do on this forum from more experienced P&O cruisers.

Anyway jeanyleon have chatted with you re this topic before and I think we will just have to agree to disagree ;);)

Next year fly cruise :D

Jean

To keep my blood pressure at a normal level can you please help make it easy for me, as you feel it's so easy.

I have to travel on the m40 and the a34. There are often accidents. You can be held up for hours. For work reasons it is usually impossible for me to travel the day before (exception is my next cruise which leaves on a Monday so I am travelling on the Sunday). We are unable to drive so take a taxi. With no traffic or accidents or roadworks or weather issues the journey takes 1 hour 50 minutes. With any of the above it can take twice that or more.

If my check in is 3.30 what time do I leave?

1.30 - oh dear there is an accident, the a34 is closed, I am stuck and I miss my cruise

Really if it is so easy you tell me what to do?

Maybe I should pay double taxi fare and sit outside Southampton in services for 2 hours

In the summer my option is easy - stick to Celebrity. Arrive, go straight through security, queue in a line for the next free agent, walk on ship. Collect glass of bubbly on way and go straight to your cabin (well from 12 noon anyway in my experience)

Your definition of easy is very different from mine but I welcome your guidance for me

I feel sorry for the stewards, they seem so thin on the ground these days and don't just look busy on change over day they look fraught. They struggled to manage a smile this morning, I found myself getting the cabin as ready as I could whilst my husband was dressing to try to help them out.

I feel sorry for the stewards, they seem so thin on the ground these days and don't just look busy on change over day they look fraught. They struggled to manage a smile this morning, I found myself getting the cabin as ready as I could whilst my husband was dressing to try to help them out.

I think Florry, as ever that depends on the steward. We had two excellent and very pleasant stewards on our back to back on Britannia. Seemed to have time to chat and always be cheerful.

I think Florry, as ever that depends on the steward. We had two excellent and very pleasant stewards on our back to back on Britannia. Seemed to have time to chat and always be cheerful.

The stewards were fine other days, I think the pressure of changeover day has become fairly extreme. They do fantastically to get all cabins ready in 4.5 hours, given the fact there are less of them. Perhaps you have a knack of cheering them up no matter what the circumstances Dai [emoji94]

The stewards were fine other days, I think the pressure of changeover day has become fairly extreme. They do fantastically to get all cabins ready in 4.5 hours, given the fact there are less of them. Perhaps you have a knack of cheering them up no matter what the circumstances Dai [emoji94]

Is called smiling. And always chatting. And saying please and thank you. A smile goes a long long way.

Why do they have to get all the cabins ready in 4.5 hours? Surely if P&O have any organisational ability the stewards are servicing the cabins from 8am, in the order which the occupants are expected to arrive. Stewards can help other stewards or even service cabins on other decks. all it needs is ORGANISATION. Cabins used to be serviced within about 6 hours so 50% of them were done by 11am, then theoretically boarding could start:rolleyes:

They could of course have cut the number of stewards, which might have been the reason why my Aurora cabin was not done until lunchtime, despite me having breakfast shortly after 7am and leaving the please service the cabin notice which the steward totally ignored. :mad: