Black tie

cfb345

The above is just my opinion and life is to short to worry about someone who can't be bothered to follow dress codes.

But as it's already been established that the OP is following the dress code, that paragraph is surely irrelevant to this thread?

Mid grey is not dark. So will not meet the dress code. However, the way things are going formal nights will soon be a thing of the past. What's next, people unhappy wearing a suit, so turn up at the MD in flip flops and shorts:eek:

Mid grey is not dark. So will not meet the dress code. However, the way things are going formal nights will soon be a thing of the past. What's next, people unhappy wearing a suit, so turn up at the MD in flip flops and shorts:eek:

As long as they are 3/4 length shorts and the flipflops dont have a toe poke then i cant see an issue with that.

So do you think Mid-Grey is Light?

Regards John

As for being happy. I find it strange that someone has to wear a mid grey suit to enjoy himself. A dinner suit is just the same as a normal suit, except a different style. You still wear trousers, Jacket, shirt and tie. If someone already owns a dinner suit, there is very little reason not to wear it on formal nights, unless it's to make some kind of limp statement about the dress code.

In all my cruises I have never seen anyone miserable in a tux. In fact I have not seen anyone looking miserable full stop.

I'm not really comfortable in a tux but I try to conform. I wear it out of consideration for others and I "suffer" in silence.

The Jacket and the trousers of my tuxedo are heavier and thcker than my business suites. I could buy a lighter tux I suppose but I only ever wear it on cruises. I wouldn't dream of violating the dress code as that would be disrespectful to the other passengers.

I wear a suit and tie every working day. When I go on Holiday I like to relax. That usually means smart casual to me.

I've noticed on my last few cruises that some were wearing suits instead of tuxedos and have decided to follow suit (no pun intended) and will be taking a dark suit accordingly.

My business suits are very comfortable and I feel more at home in them.

Edited by mds143

The OP cfb345 has checked with P&O regarding the wearing of a mid-grey suit and it has been confirmed that this is an acceptable mode of dress on a Black Tie evening.

The information the cruise line provides regarding dress codes is clearly a guide and they trust that people have some common sense. The spirit is that of a formal evening with people dressed smartly. This is the basic point of the code.

Regards John

I joined an up-market gym many years ago with dress restrictions in the bar. I telephoned to query something and the response was "if you are the sort of person who feels the need to check, then you're not the sort of person who needs to worry" - I think the same applies here. The rather 'black and white' view points on the 50 shades of grey suits are a waste of time, if people look smart they will not be refused entry, P&O need the revenue of paying customers now and in the future. Generations to come will have very different views about diversity and inclusion as this has been a part of their upbringing.

I joined an up-market gym many years ago with dress restrictions in the bar. I telephoned to query something and the response was "if you are the sort of person who feels the need to check, then you're not the sort of person who needs to worry" - I think the same applies here. The rather 'black and white' view points on the 50 shades of grey suits are a waste of time, if people look smart they will not be refused entry, P&O need the revenue of paying customers now and in the future. Generations to come will have very different views about diversity and inclusion as this has been a part of their upbringing.

Good point !!

We can dance around this subject forever and a day.

Times are changing, there is a new breed of passengers, passengers who after reading what formal nights mean refuse to adhere to it.

Pando needs the new breed of passengers money and have re-defined what formal means to satisfy these people.

I still maintain a lounge suit is not fit for formals nights, but after re-defining

what formal means, Pando have opened the door to all and sundry styles.

I dont think times are quite that bad Tokyo..my Dad was recently told off on a cruise for simply undoing his top button on his tux shirt on a formal night as he was warm and wanted a moment to breathe. Rules are still imposed more than you think.

At the end of the day we are all on holiday to have fun and as long as people are dressed to a respectable standard on a formal night surely it doesnt really matter too much.

At the end of the day we are all on holiday to have fun and as long as people are dressed to a respectable standard on a formal night surely it doesnt really matter too much.

I agree with that.

I was in Next today and almost got a cracking grey Dinner Suit but it was just slightly too tight fitting in the legs. Not bad for a trendy almost 60yo. That would have caused a bit of confusion.

A lot of shops are stocking grey Dinner Suits now and I've also come across a blue Jeff Banks one. Its odd that shops are stocking Dinner Suits for younger men yet some older men want to dress down. Their choice of course.

Just reading the various comments regarding Black Tie night. My OH will be wearing his kilt, I hope this is acceptable?

Highland Dress is more than acceptable. :) I don't normally take mine because of the weight. There are usually a few gentlemen in kilts and also in uniform.

The dress code is as follows.

"Black Tie nights foster a rather special atmosphere on board, adding a touch of glamour and a real sense of occasion to evenings at sea. Seeing an entire ship full of people transformed into their finery is quite something to behold. Ladies wear glamorous evening wear including cocktail dresses, ball gowns or even smart trouser suits. For men, dinner jackets or tuxedos are the norm, but a dark lounge or business suit and tie can be worn as an alternative. You can also wear formal national dress and army uniform."

We can dance around this subject forever and a day.

Times are changing, there is a new breed of passengers, passengers who after reading what formal nights mean refuse to adhere to it.

Pando needs the new breed of passengers money and have re-defined what formal means to satisfy these people.

I still maintain a lounge suit is not fit for formals nights, but after re-defining

what formal means, Pando have opened the door to all and sundry styles.

Times have always been changing for everyone not just P&O. I recall a time on P&O when lounge suits were de riguer on formal nights. Tuxedos and the like were never seen except in First Class. Over the years P&O have moved on to a single class system much the same as all other lines. This is how the world has changed in cruising; single class ships aiming at different market sectors. P&O have set out what they believe to be a modern, currently appropriate standard for formal evenings. If you look around at people in a top class restaurants locally, where you live people are not dressed up to the extent they are on board. The cruise line are in my opinion trying to establish a realistic and easily defined code of what to wear, so people know what is required of them and, just as important the crew can implement it.

Regards John

Wasn't actually going to bother to post a reply after having apologised but would just like to voice my opinion. I have been on other cruises and as previously stated oh has always gone black tie however this time wanted to wear the mid grey suit.

I and Hubble dress to please ourselves not others and are there to enjoy ourselves it is our holiday as much as anyone's, and I am sorry if people feel that it is wrong not to adhere completely to the dress code but I am not sure how what I or OH wear could adversely affect somebody else? There is a dress code but it is obviously ok with P and O that a mid grey suit is accepted, ( I have now checked) and if it's ok with them it's ok with me, I would rather see a man in a mid grey suit enjoying himself than a bloke in a tuxedo being miserable, I too respect others opinions, but think that if p and o are ok it then can't see why it bothers others. Life too short!

Perhaps it would have been better if you had asked P&O in the first place 😉

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just reading the various comments regarding Black Tie night. My OH will be wearing his kilt, I hope this is acceptable?

I just love when I see a man wearing his kilt and being Scottish I also like to ask what tartan he's wearing. I've always seen fa ew men in kilts / trews on every cruise I've done. Please tell your husband to take his kilt

Edited by tartanexile81

I wish I had asked p and o in the first place if I had known it would incite such a debate but I did as cruise critic is a really useful informative site,however it has also been interesting reading people's thoughts and opinions if honest, and see it is quite a divided camp and before anyone gets annoyed I respect both opinions those who like to and adhere to the black tie and tux code as I think they look exceptionally smart and have taken great effort to do so and those who like me agree that p and o are starting to relax of what is accepted and as John says even top class restaurants are starting to move with the times with regard to what is acceptable dress code .p and o are obviously not starting to cater for the "all and sundry" but in fact moving with the times perhaps and to conclude I will not lose sleep over the fact that OH is in a mid grey suit, for the record I will be wearing full length evening gowns on the formal nights but I will leave the tiara at home.

Regards

I wish I had asked p and o in the first place if I had known it would incite such a debate but I did as cruise critic is a really useful informative site,however it has also been interesting reading people's thoughts and opinions if honest, and see it is quite a divided camp and before anyone gets annoyed I respect both opinions those who like to and adhere to the black tie and tux code as I think they look exceptionally smart and have taken great effort to do so and those who like me agree that p and o are starting to relax of what is accepted and as John says even top class restaurants are starting to move with the times with regard to what is acceptable dress code .p and o are obviously not starting to cater for the "all and sundry" but in fact moving with the times perhaps and to conclude I will not lose sleep over the fact that OH is in a mid grey suit, for the record I will be wearing full length evening gowns on the formal nights but I will leave the tiara at home.

Regards

✔️ LIKE 😃

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I love formal nights and both I and OH have to wear suits everyday for work too. I really love dressing my little boy up who's 6. I buy him a new tux every year and he looks so gorgeous and he loves dressing up. ( Tbh I think he loves the attention from everybody because he's made an effort)

I personally think wear what you like as long as it's not casual wear. I hate seeing people arriving in shorts and t shirt to dinner. Do they not read the horizon??