The Port of Leith Scotland

socreader

We will be in the Port pf Leith, Scotland next August and were wondering if anyone has had experience with transport from the port to the Castle in Edinburgh. I was told there is a train from Leith to Edinburgh but I cannot find it. I noticed taxis and a bus line. Any suggestions?

No train. The quite-recently-opened tram was SUPPOSED to go up to the port in Leith - just have a Google for articles about tram (good keywords are: debacle, FUBAR, screwup, overrun, budget, disaster and any swear words of your choice) and you'll quickly realise why it doesn't!

It's a very nice tram if you want to go somewhere that it does run, but for tourists that's pretty much from downtown to the airport. From Leith you want local buses. Number 11 goes around the docks including Ocean Terminal and then close to the castle but you'll have to walk all the way up the hill; Number 7 would need a wee walk to get on but then goes up the Bridges so you just have the nice scenic slightly-uphill Royal Mile portion from there to the castle. I'd recommend a day pass at GBP4 vs. single tickets at GBP1.50 it's excellent value, already saving money on your third trip without needing exact change every time too (while the new phone-app seems potentially useful, the minimum spend of GBP10 and '1 person per device' rule makes this much less useful for tourists).

Be wary of Edinburgh cabbies - I lived there for seven years and they are the worst for 'taking the scenic route' of cabbies anywhere I've ever lived or visited - and that's as a Scot not an obvious tourist. I was just back again late last year and they're as bad as ever. I would pre-prepare a route using Google maps or similar and as you get in tell the driver to take the main roads listed on that route - unless of course you want a cabbie to drive you around the city on a tour, they do mostly have some good chat.

Depending which other stops are on your cruise, a multi-day Explorer pass for Historic Scotland might be handy to know about too - Edinburgh Castle is a relatively pricey attraction, so that plus as little as one other site visit can end up being more expensive than a pass!