What if my scooter doesn't fit....

Boozebabe

I agree that mobility scooters should not be left in a hallway for a variety of reasons.

But in an emergency evacuation situation, wouldn't the scooter user be amongst the evacuees, evacuating their cabin along with their scooter?

Yes, this is why it is better for the scooter to be in the room where the handicapped person can hop on it and go instead of being out in the hallway where someone has to help them hobble out there to get on it wasting precious time.

In case of an emergency the OP could not use the elevators anyway. I have

been in my cabin when they called to muster and when I got to the elevator

carnival staff were there and said the elevators were turned off and we had to

use the stairs. If you can not walk someone will have to carry you.

HAPPY SAILING!!!

I was on the Breeze last month in a balcony cabin on deck 7 and there was an individual a few doors away that parked her scooter outside their door the entire trip. It was never in the way or an issue. I was happy to see that they were able to park right outside their cabin. Never saw any scooters parked by the elevator. Good luck.

I was on the Breeze last month in a balcony cabin on deck 7 and there was an individual a few doors away that parked her scooter outside their door the entire trip. It was never in the way or an issue. I was happy to see that they were able to park right outside their cabin. Never saw any scooters parked by the elevator. Good luck.

Please don't park your scooter in the hall. It will impede an evacuation in the event of an emergency.

call the special needs dept. there are often many people who book the Accessable cabin who do not actually need it, and they will move that person for you. It is a risk many people take for the extra room, knowing they may not actually get it.

I agree that mobility scooters should not be left in a hallway for a variety of reasons.

But in an emergency evacuation situation, wouldn't the scooter user be amongst the evacuees, evacuating their cabin along with their scooter?

Actually that is not true... Because Mom uses an electric scooter, we were sent to the library for the Muster Drill... Once there a Staff Member comes around and notes each and everyone's disability and cabin #. I was then told that in case of an emergency, and depending on the disability (i.e., not being able to walk) they will dispatch 2 Carnival employees to her cabin to get her.. Of course my Mom laughed and said "better send more than 2 to carry me"!! but no, they don't or shouldn't use scooters or wheelchairs in case of an emergency situation...

Imagine a throng of passengers trying to make their way down a narrow, dark, smoked filled corridor and someone trips over a scooter they can't see....well, you get the picture. Nothing, including baby strollers, should be parked in the corridors.

Roz

Imagine a throng of passengers trying to make their way down a narrow, dark, smoked filled corridor and someone trips over a scooter they can't see....well, you get the picture. Nothing, including baby strollers, should be parked in the corridors.

Roz

Well we can just hope that these narrow, dark, smoke filled corridors are at night and not day because during the day they are filled with loaded push carts, vacuum cleaners, trash bags and other supplies.

I am in a wheelchair because I can't walk at all. On my last cruise I had to navigate the Stewards cart and 2 scooters that were parked continuously outside neighboring cabins. I finally just told my husband if the ship were sinking I'd go down with her.

Please, please don't leave your scooter in the hallway. There are reasons for rules.

I would never leave my scooter in the regular corridors or hallways of the ship near cabin doors. The areas I have seen them parked is very secluded and sort of next to the stairway. Its a little hard to explain but people would never be walking there. They would run into a corner. Thats where the scooters are waiting upon boarding the ship. There were 4 of them parked there in January on the Breeze. Near the mid-ship set of elevators.

OK that being said, the Carnival site says the doors are 21 inches yet the scooters have 22 inch width at the widest point. I found out what scooters are used by Special needs at Sea (?) and bought that same scooter today. So I guess I have solved my problem. I really would prefer my personal scooter to be inside my cabin at night. I can only imagine what some rambunctious kids could do to one in a hallway.

I will be very specific about getting the proper width door without needing a HC accessible cabin. And during an evacuation I would definitely NOT take my scooter. I'd be trampled.

Many times I have seen scooters stored in the area in red on Carnival ships.

They are out of the way in case of emergency.

Thats exactly where I saw them. very out of the way. No one would be walking there. On this map it looks small but it is a rather large area.

I am in a wheelchair because I can't walk at all. On my last cruise I had to navigate the Stewards cart and 2 scooters that were parked continuously outside neighboring cabins. I finally just told my husband if the ship were sinking I'd go down with her.

Please, please don't leave your scooter in the hallway. There are reasons for rules.

This! My mom uses a scooter/wheelchair/rollator depending on how she feels (she has MS). We usually take the wheelechair and rollator on a cruise. We had the same issue as the above poster. Stewards cart in the hall and just try to get by with a wheelchair! Put anything else in the hallway and it is a nightmare!

[quote name='dlbutler5']Don't be surprised if it gets damaged, [B]stolen[/B] or you are told to move it. My wife uses a Pride Go-Go and it fits through all doors fine.[/QUOTE]

Stolen, on a cruise ship? That would make for one low speed chase. OJ would be envious.

[quote name='Boozebabe']BTW you should have seen some of the "souped up" models they have. It was fun looking at all of them. Some look like motorcycles with crazy paint jobs. But we are talking BIG bucks.[/QUOTE]

Good thing you didn't go for one of those. With your screen name and all you wouldn't want to get a DUI while on vacation:D

[quote name='fuddrules']Good thing you didn't go for one of those. With your screen name and all you wouldn't want to get a DUI while on vacation:D[/QUOTE]

My screen name is deceiving. I really don't drink much at all. BUT I do own a liquor/wine store. The landlord couldn't remember our names (my 2 sisters are my partners) and he just referred to us as the Boozebabes so I adopted the moniker as my screen name. People see that name and think I probably drink a little too much. Doesn't bother me at all. Neither does the fact that the landlord referred to us like that.

I travel with a scooter user and we get an accessible cabin so the doorways are a non issue but the bigger issue is when people do NOT put them in their cabins.

There were many times when she couldn't get down the hallways because people had left theirs out there "just to pop into their cabin". Please be considerate of other handicapped people and keep your scooter in your cabins.