Extended balcony

Ginnyjen

Booked cabin on the Grand Princess to Mexico out of San Francisco. It is all the way aft just before suites. My question is, it states "extended balcony", not sure what that is. Anyone have any info on this? I like that there will be little to no traffic, but I have no idea if I made a good decision or not. Help!!

Booked cabin on the Grand Princess to Mexico out of San Francisco. It is all the way aft just before suites. My question is, it states "extended balcony", not sure what that is. Anyone have any info on this? I like that there will be little to no traffic, but I have no idea if I made a good decision or not. Help!!

Some of the balconies on this class at the very aft on the port / starboard sides are extended. We were in E731 a couple of times, once on the star and once on the golden. The balconies are huge....they extend further back so not only do you get a good view off the side of the ship, you can also see somewhat where you've been, although not enough to see the wake.

There is very little traffic back there .... if this is the room you've booked, you made an awesome decision.

The only cabins with that notation on the Grand are B744 and B745. A normal Baja deck balcony is 5 feet deep. The balconies for these two cabins are set into the ship's superstructure which angles out to 9 feet at the back end. Because the balconies are totally within the superstructure they are totally covered. The balcony opening essentially only faces forward so you really can't look out to sea from your cabin and because it faces forward, the balcony may be windy when underway.

Thanks for the info. From my research, these cabins look a little different on the Grand than the other ships, not so enclosed. I'll give it a shot and report when we get back.
This is not the best photo of the Grand, but you should be able to see that the balconies on those cabins on the Grand are the same as on the other Grand class ships.

bsh-K9rcbQM6sz9Qs2XcBp5aaCSfDXmZbaNbA_IV5b-7qlzTrrQrQlvLBfAIuCtfGwNzjoJOpPL0YU3a2e4L7NzxJVSOg0JxvRHRtDRgFKDjH4a0lcRwUs-v_wCGHcEeRj7s7VB9lGeAJNdhzwMDAqzjO3FtAxwk7U1DkqEGIB5UqPGvbCpcSvdBs_ppQTBGw4RPRGKJC4K8XfYqeh63VlRR1vHLy58CtrICaHfUQeAXxFJH_QRQlyl5OExdnRKIMBtFji0rpnJs2aiTlptCsxGYLy7vfMN66zexNh__uGpMfs1y__by9Ho8TRa0QjXnxAmMqt19TtAUfQh1_6fIpZg718eBYpTEK8_qNN4ow_e1GR-xC0Dryfx2uKIWF1kSEyuW_-vKH3K5LXbpccdckQxYH4JrTVgFVTOuo0TkhHVvf0WJKRN0Xnmu78oQE4sQZmMzC7LMOBliuZETjeR292vyEapE-8Gg-DkSZPqMdzmQnWdNGBz4aBncTgxBCgUoHVepAr-Yie5WJOzeIeMwhgk88Jq1oV0t3FLvn0eI-_I=w515-h667-no

Whats the cabin #????

B744.....and the more I look at it, the better I like it. On our last cruise we had a mini-suite which had no cover and people above can look right down on you and I can look at the ones below us.....didn't like it. But we shall see......I'm just happy to be on a ship....wherever I am.

B744.....and the more I look at it, the better I like it. On our last cruise we had a mini-suite which had no cover and people above can look right down on you and I can look at the ones below us.....didn't like it. But we shall see......I'm just happy to be on a ship....wherever I am.
There is a photo of the balcony in this post.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=27815525&postcount=2

• 3 months later...

I don't know if this is in time for the original poster's cruise, but these threads last forever anyway. My wife and I liked B744 on the Golden very much on our Alaska cruise in July 2015. The balcony is spacious enough for two people to fully stretch out and recline with a view (or a book). We did end up having a couple slightly awkward (but friendly) conversations with our next-door neighbors (facilitated by the angle of the railing), but that didn't last the whole cruise.

I do remember a little bit of vibration/noise from the engines as we entered and left port, but since it was our first cruise and part of the point of going was being on a ship, we liked it (and thus personally have no basis to compare whether or not it's louder than other cabins).

In fact, we liked the cabin so much, we booked its counterpart on the Grand for our March 2016 California Coastal.

I don't know if this is in time for the original poster's cruise, but these threads last forever anyway. My wife and I liked B744 on the Golden very much on our Alaska cruise in July 2015. The balcony is spacious enough for two people to fully stretch out and recline with a view (or a book). We did end up having a couple slightly awkward (but friendly) conversations with our next-door neighbors (facilitated by the angle of the railing), but that didn't last the whole cruise.

I do remember a little bit of vibration/noise from the engines as we entered and left port, but since it was our first cruise and part of the point of going was being on a ship, we liked it (and thus personally have no basis to compare whether or not it's louder than other cabins).

In fact, we liked the cabin so much, we booked its counterpart on the Grand for our March 2016 California Coastal.

Good to hear. :)