Alaska land/cruise 9/2- 9/13/15

Stokeset

This an overview of our land/sea cruise to Alaska with HAL (D2L). I will try to mention or clarify some of the information that I found useful prior to this trip, or those things that I would have liked to have known before hand. Everyone on this board was extremely helpful, so I’m gonna try to pay it forward. I did a review of our ship on the HAL board if you want specific info about cruising the Oosterdam.

Wed 9/2: Arrived Anchorage @ 7:30 PM and was met by the HAL rep at luggage. Within 30 minutes we were on a bus and making the rounds to several other hotels before we were dropped off at the REAR of the Westmark Hotel. (Initially, I was put off by the hotel’s appearance, not realizing where we were, but later the next day when I saw the front lobby, I changed my mind.) We were held in the back entrance waiting area from @ 10 minutes where we were given our travel packets, room keys and directions for what to expect the next day. We had 2 very comfortable queen beds and all the amenities of standard hotel, much like a Holiday Inn, etc: coffee machine, hair dryer, iron/board and free Wi-fi for guests. I had made a list of restaurant recommendations for dinner, but as we had eaten dinner on the plane and were very tired from a long day of flying, we grabbed some crackers from the vending machine and promptly went to bed.

Thurs 9/3: Luggage needed to be in the hallway by 6AM and we had 2 pieces- one was going into storage to be delivered later to our ship’s cabin, the other was going by van to HAL’s resort in Denali. We carried a small backpack and an over sized purse for the train. At @ 8:15AM, we were picked up by a bus, and after a small delay, were confirmed by radio that we could board, and so we were transferred to our assigned car and seats, where you have to go up a flight of curved stairs. (There were some that had difficulty getting up to the second level, as the steps were a little steep). As we pulled out of the station, our tour guide as well as the bartender and wait staff introduced themselves, explained time frames and what to expect, and so we sat back and waited for scenery. And we were not disappointed! Just a lovely trip! Both breakfast and lunch in the dining car (located below us) were so delicious. We made use of the bar as well. Hot chocolate and Kahlua makes for great sipping as one surveys the vastness of the tundra and the mountains!

While on board, and just prior to arriving in Denali, we were given our room location, keys, and assigned bus for transfer to the McKinley Chalet Resort. We were in the Canyon, second floor. Our luggage was in the room when we arrived. Again 2 queens, fairly comfortable, and all amenities, but no wi-fi. You have to go to the lodge for that. The laundry room was conveniently just 3 doors away, which we made use of the night before our departure. ($1 each to wash and dry) We walked over to the Princess resort next door and had dinner in one of their restaurants we had visited in 2006. The food was great! It was also great to get out and walk about; we could have made use of the resort’s vans (runs every 10 minutes) to take us to dinner, but as the weather was good and it was not yet dark- it felt good to move. Afterwards, we went across the street to the ice cream shop and had some for dessert.

Fri 9/4: the trip into Denali (TWT): I’m glad that we decided to grab some sandwiches from Subway to take with us. We also had breakfast there, which was very tasty. The substantial snack provided by the tour folks is just that: several bags of different flavored chips, some gouda spread and hummus, a pack of cookies and a small bag of dried fruit with water to drink. It’s about a 9 hour day, so consider your appetite when planning. Our day started out overcast and drizzling, but cleared at times for almost full sun. It was an amazing trip: saw Dall sheep, moose, caribou, and at least 4 grizzly sightings, one which was directly beside and under us as we crossed a bridge; we did not get to see the mountain. Our driver was very informative and accommodating; there were at least two potty breaks each way and lots of photo opportunities. There’s also a gift shop at one of the return potty breaks. By the time we returned to the hotel, it was misting, but we hazarded a walk back over to the same restaurant as the night before and had another good meal.

Sat 9/5: We picked up a bagel and coffee and some other snacks at the coffee shop located about 3 minutes from our room. Later in the AM, we walked about the shops, had lunch at the lodge. I had booked the Canyon Whitewater rafting tour through HAL on line, but DH couldn’t make it due to an eye problem. I went alone and it was exhilarating! This was class 3-4 waterfalls, which I have done before, but never in water as cold as this. It was a beautiful fall day; the sun was shining (this was the 1:30 tour) and the fall colors were really beginning to pop. There were 8 of us and we were provided dry suits with foot liners as well as boots; the guide did all the oaring. They tell you to wear/bring an extra pair of socks. But this is what I would do next time: bring some of the hand/ foot warmers (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=67462476) and slip them into socks and gloves. Bring your own rubber kitchen gloves as well as a pair of lightweight cloth gloves to wear under them, as your hands will get wet, and in our case, we weren’t provided “dry” gloves. Also, one of my boots had a small leak, and although my sock remained dry, my foot was beginning to get pretty cold half way through. Was it worth the cost? Yes! Would I do it again? In a heartbeat! Def one of the highlights of the trip.

Sun 9/6: Luggage had to be in the hall by 6AM. We were up by 5, and were fortunate enough to step outside and see the northern lights. A small trail of lime-green light crept its way from North to South, and we watched it for at least 15 minutes. I felt so blessed to have seen it! Anticipating a long day, we had a full breakfast at the lodge restaurant and then later, at 8:30 met our bus out front for our ride to Seward. There is no getting around this drive, but HAL makes it as comfortable as possible. Less than an hour into the ride, and after watching a movie about Alaska, we pulled over at the war memorial and rest stop and the Mountain was out in all its glory. Everyone was so happy to get photographs of what we thought we had surely missed! Yet another blessing. Snacks and water were provided at this stop and we continued until @ lunch time, where we pulled off the main road for maybe a 10 minute ride to a designated restaurant for a sandwich buffet. The food was good and the warm cookies even better. Next door to the restaurant is a convenience store, so many passengers took this opportunity to purchase carry-ons: water, soft drinks, and wine; I bought some chap stick and DH needed an antihistamine, so it worked well for us. Another pit stop or two, and at 5:05, we were pulling into the parking lot of the pier for boarding. Less than 10 minutes after getting off the bus, we were walking up the gangway in a light mist and heading to our state room, both pieces of luggage awaiting our unpacking.

Mon 9/7: sea day- how relaxing

Tues- 9/8: Glacier Bay- started off foggy, but by 11AM the sun was out and it was a gorgeous day to view the glaciers and the mountains. On the sunny side of the ship out of the wind, it felt like it was in the 70’s. I wore sun glasses most of the day, a windbreaker jacket and a stocking cap in the morning, but not in the afternoon.

Wed 9/9 Haines: I had booked the Kroschel Wildlife Center with HAL prior to the cruise. We met out transport bus at 11, took a 30 minute bus ride to the reserve, and proceeded to be introduced to their wolf, hawk, moose, lynx, sable, mink, otter, moose and badger. (and that’s not all the animals). Lasted about an hour and 15 minutes. Very enlightening and enjoyable.

Thurs 9/10 Juneau: A repeat of Harv and Marv’s from 2006, this time with one of the daughters, Jayleen as the captain, and Emily as first mate and primary instructor. It was a very rainy day, but we were well appointed with ponchos and got lots of photos and videos of whales (even saw a lone one feeding), a pod of Orcas with a big bull going at an unusually slow pace, and dall porpoises running along with our boat at incredibly fast speeds. Our driver took us by Mendenhall afterwards, but it was so rainy and misty it was almost impossible to see the glacier. But the waterfall was roaring and violent looking with all the rain from the past several days. Several of the trails were flooded. It was an awesome day!

Fri- 9/11 Ketchikan: Even more rain! Donned our jackets and ponchos and headed to Creek Street. Got a photo of my husband under the street sign “Married Man’s Trail.” Bought some really nice souvenirs, walked some more about the town, and as the weather kept worsening, we called it a day and returned to the ship for some hot toddies.

Thanks everyone. Hope that something of what I’ve written helps others with their plans. Will be glad to answer any questions, and again, if you want to know more about our experiences on board the Oosterdam, please see my posting on the HAL board.

Happy Journeys,

Liz

We did this D2L in May. Any shorter time in Denali would have been too little. We also stayed in the Canyon Lodge and found it very suitable. The long bus ride to the ship was just that, long, but made as pleasant as possible by the entertaining driver. So glad you were able to see the mountain. We didn't see a rain drop on our trip, but love your attitude despite some rainy days. Hope to see Alaska again some day, will only do land and skip the cruise part.