FTTF and room being ready - does it really happen?

dkc1973

So.... we have purchased FTTF twice and both times we boarded with the FTTF group and when we got onboard our rooms were not ready and we were told they would not be ready until 1pm - even after explaining that we had purchased FTTF.

Are we just unlucky? Do any of you that have purchased it actually get to go put your things away in your room when you board?

We are cruising again in a couple months and taking a few newbie relatives in another room and I was thinking about purchasing it, but with our past experience I'm just not sure it's worth it. :confused:

It is supposed to be ready when you board. However, if the stewards are behind in their work, or delayed, then they might not be ready. I have purchased it twice now for our son and DIL. The first time we got it their room was ready. They have not sailed the second time yet.

FTTF has other perks so if those perks are important to you, then book it.

By showing your sticker on the Sail and Sign card you should be able to leave your carryon luggage in the room, whether it is ready or not.

We only purchased it on our last Carnival cruise. The cabin was ready when we boarded the ship around 11:30. We had other people in our group store their carry-ons in our cabin so they didn't have to lug it around. I would have been okay if it wasn't, as long as I could have put my stuff in the closets. I really liked getting my luggage early also. I was unpacked hours before the other people in our group even received theirs.

Sailingwithfriends - We had the same idea -- getting it for at least one room so that we could all put our luggage in there for safekeeping - but if all the rooms will be ready at the same time, that sort of rules out that perk of it.

Both times we were not allowed past the watertight doors and told that despite the FTTF, we could not even go drop off our bags. As far as I could tell, either time the ships weren't into port late or anything and if there was some kind of delay causing it, they didn't say so.

jrmende63 - We did get to use the other perks, so that is definitely something to think about. We were just really looking forward to not having to wait on the room and it's always puzzled me to see people saying it worked for them but hadn't for us.

So far the last 3 times we have had it, our luggage has been there PRONTO and our cabins were ready..however..we were told on two different cruises that we could not enter the room/cabin area until 1 pm..we said oh no we have FTTF. I think some of the staff STILL do not understand FTTF..we went and found our cabins and they were ready. Just open the doors and skip to your room...we've never been thrown out yet! ;)

Sailingwithfriends - We had the same idea -- getting it for at least one room so that we could all put our luggage in there for safekeeping - but if all the rooms will be ready at the same time, that sort of rules out that perk of it.

Both times we were not allowed past the watertight doors and told that despite the FTTF, we could not even go drop off our bags. As far as I could tell, either time the ships weren't into port late or anything and if there was some kind of delay causing it, they didn't say so.

jrmende63 - We did get to use the other perks, so that is definitely something to think about. We were just really looking forward to not having to wait on the room and it's always puzzled me to see people saying it worked for them but hadn't for us.

Those people who did not let you in were sadly mistaken! If it ever happens again either ignore them, go up one deck and then thru the doors and back down or straight to guest service right away. YOU are allowed to your cabin, no if ands or butts! (yeah I said butts!)

So.... we have purchased FTTF twice and both times we boarded with the FTTF group and when we got onboard our rooms were not ready and we were told they would not be ready until 1pm - even after explaining that we had purchased FTTF.

Are we just unlucky? Do any of you that have purchased it actually get to go put your things away in your room when you board?

We are cruising again in a couple months and taking a few newbie relatives in another room and I was thinking about purchasing it, but with our past experience I'm just not sure it's worth it. :confused:

When you purchase FTTF your cabin absolutely MUST be ready when you board and your bags MUST be expedited. If it's not then go to guest services and the guest services manager will refund you your money. I had to do that one time when my bags didn't arrive until 4:30pm, even though I arrived at the port at 10am and was on the ship (Victory) by 11:45am. This happened to me two times and the first time (Elation) I let it slide, but the second time I got a refund. Carnival executive office confirmed that the bags should have been in my cabin no later than an hour or two after I boarded.

Contact the Carnival executive team and inform them of the problem you experienced with FTTF. If they didn't allow you to proceed to your cabin early then they've breached the agreement and owe you a refund.

Honestly, if this were me, and I don't complain much, I would have asked for my money back on FTTF. Because this is the only reason we really buy FTTF. This is the biggest perk to us. I wouldn't be mad at the steward, I would just be disappointed. I mean really, our most favorite thing about FTTF is relaxing on our balcony as soon as we board the ship. It's like our "we are finally on vacation moment" and we get to enjoy it that much sooner.

But yes, I do think you have a bit of bad luck because this has never happened to us...

We purchased FTTF for our Triumph cruise out of Galveston last summer - we boarded at 11:25 and we walked straight to the elevators and up to deck 8. The heavy water doors were closed but we just opened them up and walked in like we knew what we were doing. Our cabin steward greeted us and our 2 cases of water were there waiting. Our luggage arrived around noon.

Later, we sat next to some people at dinner that were on our deck that also had FTTF and they were turned away by a Carnival employee and instructed to go to deck 9 to eat lunch and then return at 1:00 p.m. They didn't realize they needed to argue the point and went to the Lido.

I think the poster that said all employees weren't up to speed on FTTF was right - you just need to bypass them and head to your cabin - it will most likely be ready and waiting for you and your cabin steward will be expecting you!!