Vaporetto from Piazzale Roma to Burano

Hitcher13

Hi There,

Hoping for some guidance. Does a vaporetto go directly to Burano from Piazzale Roma? Or do we have to take the #3 line to Murano, and then take the #12 to Burano? I wasn't sure if there was one that went directly to Burano. We have been to Venice once before, and want to skip Murano this time around. We did love Burano though, and are looking forward to another visit. Our ship docks at 2 PM - so we were wanting to go to Burano for an hour to 2 hours, then hope to go directly to San Marco from Burano. Is this possible?

We then want to spend the evening exploring or "getting lost" in Venice. My understanding is that the people mover stops running at 11 PM. Does taking a vaporetto between 9:30 and 10 PM back to Piazzale Roma give us enough time to make sure we are on the people mover? We don't want to be making that long walk back to the port or to pay the $25 per person from San Marco.

Any advice would help.

Oh, the rest of your question, you shouldn't have trouble getting back by 10pm. We were back on the ship by then after going all the way to Torcello. We did it in the November darkness, and the rain. I'm not sure I would go to San Marco afterwards. It would make for a looooong day. I'm not sure you'd be back to the People Mover by 11pm. Even the 2 takes a while to do the Grand Canal. Make sure you don't take a 1! They are sloooow. As Christopher Robin would say, we had a great explor.

Yes, it is possible to get to Burano via Murano. But the more common (and usually faster way) is to take the 1 or 2 over to Fondemente Nova and take the 12 (as has been posted). However, keep in mind that the time of this trip is very dependent on the luck of connections. It once took us nearly 1 1/2 hours from the port to Burano...but sometimes it can be done a little faster. And it does not cost $25 per person for a taxi over to the port unless one is a bit of a fool. Everything is negotiable and a taxi, even late at night, should be no more then 10€ per person. Personally, DW and I would walk for more then that price (and we have walked to the port many times) as its a nice stroll if the weather is good.

Hank

I would verify when the People Mover stops running for the dates you are in Venice. For us, late September on a Sunday, the People Mover is scheduled to stop running at 10 pm. Also, while the 12 and other vaporettos seem to have a fairly stable schedule, you might want to check the schedule on actv.it before you go. They are a little hard to find on that site, but they ARE there, along with the Alilaguna schedules and possibly info on the People Mover.

You don't say when you are going to Venice. We were there late October, and it was raining and high winds. We went to Murano and had planned to go to Burano, but they closed down the route. The vaporetto was really laboring in the choppy lagoon, took us twice as long to get back as it did to go over.

So have an alternate plan in case your original plan doesn't work out.

Have a great trip!

Yes, it is possible to get to Burano via Murano. But the more common (and usually faster way) is to take the 1 or 2 over to Fondemente Nova and take the 12 (as has been posted). However, keep in mind that the time of this trip is very dependent on the luck of connections. It once took us nearly 1 1/2 hours from the port to Burano...but sometimes it can be done a little faster. And it does not cost $25 per person for a taxi over to the port unless one is a bit of a fool. Everything is negotiable and a taxi, even late at night, should be no more then 10€ per person. Personally, DW and I would walk for more then that price (and we have walked to the port many times) as its a nice stroll if the weather is good.

Hank

Looking at all the advice, it appears that taking the #2 over to Fondemente Nova and then the 12 is the way to go. So, let's say we get to Burano by 4PM, spend 1.5 hours there, and then take the vaporetto back to Fondemente Nova. Do we get off there, or will the 12 make a stop at San Marco? We should be there no later than 7PM. Does that make sense?

Or should we walk from Fondemente NOva with out goal being ending up in San Marco? There are some in our group that want to do the Gondola as well, and then we just want to walk around for a bit.

Hank - you say we can take a water taxi from San Marco or a different stop straight to the port and it should only be about 10 euro pp? That would be great, then we wouldn't have to worry about making the people mover by 11 PM.

As far as the walking goes, I have heard that late at night, it's not as pleasant a walk. Especially with not knowing exactly where we need to go...don't want to have to worry.

We will be in Venice by the way on Oct 23rd.

Thank you everyone for your help.