Gluten Free Vodka on Carnival Liberty?

cubsfan2008

Hi,

My group of friends and I would really like to book a cruise on the Carnival Liberty. I have attempted to call Carnival 3 times but noone could confirm exactly what brands of alcohol that they will have on board. If anyone has cruised recently on Carnival, do you recall if Smirnoff Vodka was available.

It is a big deal to us to be able to have drink options. I see that Bacardi is available for the Rum drinks, but we really want to cruise a line that offers a gluten free vodka as well. Also does anyone know if the drink mixes are gluten free? Thanks in advance.

I do not recall if Smirnoff was available or not. You may be having difficulty obtaining a definitive answer as suppliers can change. Also CSR do not necessarily have information regarding specific items aboard.

Gluten free Vodka? There are multiple brands that are GF. As to the mixes, if you are gluten free you should have an idea what to avoid and what fits your eating plan.

Edited by springs741

Thanks again Java. At this point it looks like NCL and Princess may be a better bet as their agents knew right away and we're extremely helpful when I mentioned the gluten allergy. All 3 agents from Carnival had no idea and kept saying alcohol is liquid so I will be fine....

I know this isn't that helpful, but when we were on the Liberty in 2013 they had Smirnoff Vodka. I do 100% remember seeing it. But it's been so long I know things could have changed, so it's not that reliable of information.

Do you think you could try calling the special needs department?

They had Titos on board the Breeze last week.

I'd expect just about every vodka, or just about every hard liquor that isn't flavored after distillation, to be gluten free. Distillation removes stuff like that.

Edited by realjd

Just an update. After speaking and exhausting my efforts with Carnival, I decided to book with Norwegian. It was extremely easy to talk with them and everyone I spoke to knew what celiac disease was and took it seriously. They had me fill out special paperwork and I already have a meeting with the maitre d once we board to go over menu possibilities. It has calmed my fears and I now can focus on planning the fun parts of my vacation. Thanks to everyone who helped. They also provided me with liquor brands and told me to write down anything else I think I may need in terms of meals etc.

Edited by cubsfan2008

Not sure if it's been changed but the last bar menu from Carnival I saw showed : Skyy, Stolichnaya, Absolut, Ketel One, Belvedere, and Grey Goose as the vodkas on board.

None are on the latest gluten free list. However, if you have not been diagnosed with celiac disease by an licensed medical doctor (not a naturopath or other alt med providers, or someone at some kiosk at a "health fair") and you do not have serious symptoms of gluten sensitivity as administered by a medical laboratory and are only going gluten free because it's the "diet du jour", then indeed as a previous poster has mentioned, the distillation process does remove the gluten.

If you have celiac disease, then, as always, better safe than sorry, so find another alcohol or order Smirnoff or Titos from Bon Voyage, if either are available.

Unfortunately I am not a hipster on a fad. I was diagnosed with celiac disease by my gastroenterologist a number of years ago and confirmed by a biopsy from a colonoscopy as well as my titre. A side note, if I drink say a Corona, or ketel one, or absolut, I break out in a crazy rash all over my body, my ears turn bright red and I itch like I am on fire. I luckily have never had breathing difficulties, so at least I am lucky in that respect.

I honestly hate being gluten free. I miss good warm French bread, real Chicago pizza/beefs/hot dogs. I would pay a 10x over to eat a Cinnabon. This diet is the pits, but I also don't want to go into anaphylaxis. Either way I need to be careful.

Regarding my hipster comment, at least they have helped me get more options for being gluten free. Don't want to put a group of people down. I remember not being able to ever go out to eat and not having any options at the grocery store. So people going gluten free as a fad helped in that regard.

Anyways thanks again to the great community here and hopefully I will see you on future Carnival cruises!

Edited by cubsfan2008