Budget Tips & Ideas

redcat72

Some ideas:

Fly in a day before and do your liquor shopping and water and soda shopping while in the port. If you like mixed drinks, but the mixers and the booze and pre-mix them in another container and just pour the now-premixed back into the mixer bottles. Ms. Flagger did this and brought on three bottles of Margarita pre-mixed with her.

IF you can get a box, pack it with the sodas, and water, and mixers and seal it and place a label for your room on the box. It will be delivered with your luggage and the housekeeper will take away the broken down box. It saves you having to worry about weight limits on board.

We don't believe in gratuities for normal everyday service, so we do not tip, which has saved us $100s.

Our last final bill was just under $80. We saved a ton also doing excursions on our own and not using the ships overpriced services. Yes it was a risk that we would not make it back in time, but we more than had time padded in. We also did not shop for cheap made in china trinkets where the ships all shopped. We got in touch with locals and found out where they liked to eat, shop and drink and went there.

Some ideas:

We don't believe in gratuities for normal everyday service, so we do not tip, which has saved us $100s.

:eek: You will surely get flamed for this one. I wonder if you know how the cruise industry works (how they pay their employees). If you do, and you still do not tip, you should be ashamed.

Barb

I've seen other people post a message where they suggest that you pose for the formal portraits with the backdrops. There is no obligation to buy the finished product. While you are posing, have a friend or relative take a picture with a personal camera. I'm not sure how the photographers feel about this and they may not permit it, but I thought I'd pass along the information.

:eek: You will surely get flamed for this one. I wonder if you know how the cruise industry works (how they pay their employees). If you do, and you still do not tip, you should be ashamed.

Barb

Please, just leave this alone. Flagger is well known for his views on tipping. Nobody is going to say anything that has not already been said. If you want to read the flame wars (or at least the milder ones that have not been deleted) just search the archives.

Let's just leave this thread to it's original subject material, and it will be helpful to many people. Otherwise it will go away and not be helpful to anyone.

Theron

I've seen other people post a message where they suggest that you pose for the formal portraits with the backdrops. There is no obligation to buy the finished product. While you are posing, have a friend or relative take a picture with a personal camera. I'm not sure how the photographers feel about this and they may not permit it, but I thought I'd pass along the information.

I would think that the photographers wouldn't be thrilled, but I don't recall ever seeing any of them say anything about it. For one thing, a little point and shoot camera won't have any of the flash capability that the pro's studio setup will have, so he probably isn't worried about the competition. And if he's got any of his studios set to slave off a flash, then some of his lights will pop when you take yours, which will overexpose your picture as well, making them washed out at the least, and useless at worst.

Theron

Yep Flagger is well known on the boards for his opinion on this subject and berating him about it is just 100% useless so move along, nothing to see here. In some sociaties tipping is not the norm (I have no idea where Flagger lives) and they do not understand it. Actually I tip and tip well but sometimes the people on the boards can get so high and mighty about how much to tip and go on and on about how poor the servers are that it does become rude. Tip the amount the cruiselines suggest and go over if it appeals to you personally but don't berate me if I do not.

We figure out what the tip is for each person before we leave home. Then we put each one in a separate envelope that we label. We don't have to worry about setting the money aside once we get on the ship. We will also give them extra if they have been real friendly & helpful.

You can also check your Sea Pass bill on the T.V. as often as you would like to.

I also ask for the smaller glass for the Drink of the Day.

Gail

Sascol-- Sometimes there is this kind of snack in the shops area onboard, but usually the price is inflated quite a bit.

You're right....I have seen these types of things in the gift shop. I was thinking she meant these were part of the buffet or something. Prices are nuts though.

The best tip I have it to fill up her day with activities. The more busy you are, the less "money" you spend. Go to everything free that remotely interest her (dance classes, ice carving, art auction, and just plain people watching). I have gone on a cruise and spent nothing more than the $10 for a 5 X 7 photo - plus tipping of course.

She should consider the tip just part of the cost of the cruise, makes it hurt less!

In the Bahamas - grabbing a taxi at the pier is cheaper than getting an excursion on the boat.

-Bring some over the counter medicines that you might need such as Tylenol, TUMS, cortisone cream, Neosporin, some bandaids, etc. There are very expensive on the ship if they even have them.

-Bring sample size of Woolite

-Print out a packing list so you don't forget anything. You don't want to have to buy a bathing suit or stockings on the ship.

-Try to win some prizes at the various games and trivia and these will be free souveniers. If you participate in ping pong or shuffleboard or exercise classes you can earn points toward free stuff.

This is DH and my first cruise. I've been doing lots of exploring the internet and reading CC and looking at pictures. I've decided not to share the pictures with DH. He's going to be over whelmed when he sees the ship. I'd rather he be surprised and I get the pleasure of seeing his face. Maybe you're better off not showing sis a video.:D :D :D

Even if he does see pictures--they never can compete with the real thing. The ships are quite impressive. I still am amazed each time we cruise how big the ships are.

-Bring some over the counter medicines that you might need such as Tylenol, TUMS, cortisone cream, Neosporin, some bandaids, etc. There are very expensive on the ship if they even have them.

If you should need OTC drugs while onboard, don't go to the store, go down to the infirmary. They have just about everything, in regular-sized packages (instead of just one dose) for about the same you would pay at your local drug store.

Barb

What a great idea. Here's one more just for you:

The guy playing the piano in the piano bar is sitting next to a fishbowl with dollar bills in it. Pretend you're putting-in money, but instead just grab some. He's getting paid a salary so it's not like he really needs those tips!

just got back from my very 1st cruise . we celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary with a vow renewal. that took up the first 2 days. now that we are home and have time to look over the Compass and other things - be sure to read over it - there are lots of things to do that are no cost. attend the shopping seminar -there is a shopping passbook of savings -friends purchased one for us -i think it cost $20.00 but it did have lots of freebies at the different ports - just for the time to walk from the ship to the shops. Diamonds International has a little charm bracelet and a card with different ports on it. if you take the card to the shop at the different port you get a different charm. some stores offer free shopping bag - free earrings - or you can purchase another piece of jewelry at a reduced price if you are making an initial purchase.

check the other thread for the one about 1st time cruiser hints - you will find a lot of ideas.

What a great idea. Here's one more just for you:

The guy playing the piano in the piano bar is sitting next to a fishbowl with dollar bills in it. Pretend you're putting-in money, but instead just grab some. He's getting paid a salary so it's not like he really needs those tips!

:eek: good one :D

We did this at several backdrop locations. Just asked the person in line behind us to snap the pic, we did buy some of the othres as well.

I have to second the idea about not buying drinks. I just don't understand how people can spend $6-$7 each for a drink! And you'll see people ordering several of these at dinner. If you have the money that's great, but I just can't imagine spending as much on alcohol as the cruise costs!

We have only been on one cruise for our honeymoon and we only spent about $300 total for everything onboard including shore excursions, photos, souveniers, etc at every port.

It's just funny how differnt parts of the country are SO different. I am one of those people who, at dinner, orders 2 or 3 drinks. But to me that is cheap. Here is Los Angeles, $6-$7 for a drink is considered a pretty good price, and when I am at a bar and the drink is $6, I think wow, that is a good price. Normal price for a drink here in L.A. would be between $7-$8 a drink.

I cannot go on vacation without over planning it. I am someone who is obsessive about it and plan things to death. Down to the last detail about every minute. It drives my DH nuts (please see other thread where I mention the he cannot plan one minute out, opposites attract). Then I get where I am going and the best laid plans get dumped for spur of the moment fun. This REALLY bugged Gene (DH) until it finally dawned on him, and he informed me, that while I may abandon all my carefully laid plans to enjoy the moment (we do follow through with some plans) that my planning things to death has saved us actual cash.

I know where to buy what, what to avoid. Which restaurants are best and most cost effective and where to get good deals. My overplanning has saved us big bucks in the 12+ years we have been together. I also can plan the wardrobes 6 months out and buy everything for the cruise on sale. Now my husband has a, MUCH needed, new summer wardrobe of clothing he loves (except one pair of pants, but he is wearing them for me) and will look smashing on the cruise. I don't think I paid more than 16 bucks for anything because I am a good sale shopper. So planning can save big!

I know I sound proud of this trait of mine but it's one of my only talents so I gotta grab all the gusto I can :D

If she would like one of the souvenir glasses purchase one the first time and then buy refills for it at a lower price.If you are a crown and anchor member you could share some of the coupons from your booklet with her.

Consider 'a-mini-splurge of a rental car in one port. You can all go for the price of one, see what you like, eat where you like, stop for photo opportunities, and go back to the ship when you'd like. Check Avis, Budget, etc on-line before you go. Its surprisingly inexpensive.

We've been doing this for years, and have found that we see MUCH more than those passengers who booked on-board excursions, and at a mere fraction of the price. You don't have to be trapped on the ship when you are on a budget. Just spend wisely.

Have a great time!

Your sister is lucky to have siblings like you!

Norm

I just have to say this, because I have worked in the service industry - I think people need to start looking at gratuities as similar to commission, because employers already do. Some employers expect their employees to earn a certain amount of money in tips, so their basic wages are lower, just like some employers expect their employees to earn a certain amount of money from what they sell. Its basically an incentive program, and while it may not be the best system, I consider my tips to be apart of the worker's pay, because it is. This is a part of a budget for a cruise that should not be excluded, and is well worth it.

I cannot go on vacation without over planning it. I am someone who is obsessive about it and plan things to death. Down to the last detail about every minute. It drives my DH nuts (please see other thread where I mention the he cannot plan one minute out, opposites attract). Then I get where I am going and the best laid plans get dumped for spur of the moment fun. This REALLY bugged Gene (DH) until it finally dawned on him, and he informed me, that while I may abandon all my carefully laid plans to enjoy the moment (we do follow through with some plans) that my planning things to death has saved us actual cash.

I know where to buy what, what to avoid. Which restaurants are best and most cost effective and where to get good deals. My overplanning has saved us big bucks in the 12+ years we have been together. I also can plan the wardrobes 6 months out and buy everything for the cruise on sale. Now my husband has a, MUCH needed, new summer wardrobe of clothing he loves (except one pair of pants, but he is wearing them for me) and will look smashing on the cruise. I don't think I paid more than 16 bucks for anything because I am a good sale shopper. So planning can save big!

I know I sound proud of this trait of mine but it's one of my only talents so I gotta grab all the gusto I can :D

You just described me...and my husband! :eek:

Archived