"Last Minute" Thanksgiving Week Bargains - Any Experience?

MississippiMom

My (retired) parents will be celebrating their 50 year wedding anniversary later this year. They have decided that they would like to celebrate by cruising in 2015 with their children & spouses, and all of the grandkids. It is a fabulous idea, but almost impossible to coordinate with three different school schedules, plus adult work schedules. Obviously, school holiday times seem to be the most logical option, but really expensive.

Has anyone managed to find bargains by booking last minute Thansgiving week trips? (Or even Christmas week?) Ideally, we would prefer a shorter itinerary, since several will have a tough time getting away from work for a full week.

Should I just call the major lines, regularly, to see if any deep discounts pop up?

At high season you need to be creative about booking. One last minute Spring Break cruise it was cheaper to get two doubles than a quad.

Discounts might pop up if there are lots of cabins closer in. It's still too early for discounts for a cruise more than two months out.

Book it now as it will only go up and cabin selection will disappear.

We had the exact same plans and issues for Thanksgiving 2014. We had decided on the Oasis of the Seas. I started tracking prices in early 2013 to watch how they trended for Thanksgiving 2013. They did nothing but go up.

I ended up booking as soon as I noticed the trend. However, we ended up switching to Club Med Ixtapa as in between plans and departure there was a new granddaughter born in October who wasn't old enough to cruise. So we all ended up at Club Med and had a wonderful time.

BTW: We had taken them all on two prior cruises so I asked if they preferred cruising to Club Med. It was pretty well agreed that depending on the ship cruises were better for those with young kids. The son with teenagers liked the Club Med better.

Can't explain how or why, but last year stumbled upon a Xmas week super deal on Princess for 500 per person, balcony for a full week! I pasted a portion of my invoice below- booked October 17- after taxes and fess, for two of us it was just over 1400!

100 Fordham Road, Building C 2nd 307-39125627 Lead Passenger Copy Floor,

Wilmington, MA 01887

Passenger Invoice and Confirmation

Oct 17, 2014 07:31 PM

7 Night Eastern Caribbean (Ft. Lauderdale Roundtrip) 12/21/2014

12/28/2014

Princess Cruises

Regal Princess

Main Dining (5:15 pm - 6:15 pm) DD (Deluxe Balcony Stateroom)

In past years, yes there have been some bargains, especially right after TG and before Christmas. But with the way prices are right now, during hurricane season, I wouldn't bank on it this year. I hope I'm wrong and you do find a deal, but I've never seen Carnival prices this high, this time of year. It doesn't bode well for the near future. Again, I hope I'm wrong and you find what you're looking for. BTW, You might actually have better luck looking at cruises with NCL, or Princess, or maybe even Celebrity. It feels strange to say that, but that's where we stand at the moment. Best of luck.

I normally book a year in advance to get the best rates during Thanksgiving week, each year I've only seen the price increase as the date gets closer and it always sails full. The prices during Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years are generally higher and usually aren't included in Carnival's 12 hour and 36 hour "sales".

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

In past years, yes there have been some bargains, especially right after TG and before Christmas. But with the way prices are right now, during hurricane season, I wouldn't bank on it this year. I hope I'm wrong and you do find a deal, but I've never seen Carnival prices this high, this time of year. It doesn't bode well for the near future. Again, I hope I'm wrong and you find what you're looking for. BTW, You might actually have better luck looking at cruises with NCL, or Princess, or maybe even Celebrity. It feels strange to say that, but that's where we stand at the moment. Best of luck.

Every year we book during hurricane season and upsell ourselves for a pretty cheap price. Not this year.

Last week our pvp said she has never seen such strong bookings.

Last year I waited for sales and finally first week in Nov I booked a 7 day Caribbean for around 1400 out of Miami. The prices this year are really higher than the last 5 years but I am hoping to get a 7 day for under 1500 for this Thanksgiving. Right now they are going for between 2200 and 2600.