Excuse my ignorance but..

diddy02

If you're doing just the Inside Passage, than either side is fine. If you are doing southbound from Anchorage or Seward, then the port side is better since it faces the coast. If you're doing Northbound from Seattle or Vancouver and are going further up than the Inside Passage, then the starboard side is better for the same reason.

However, the truth is, that either one works out pretty well -- on the longer-distance northbound or southbound trips, you still go through the Inside Passage and you still sail up into the fjords (College Fjord, Glacier Bay) and float around for awhile and there are things to see on all sides.

I am going to have to say don't buy a balcony, since when the ship is docked in port, you can't see much anyway, except for in Juneau, and that is if you are on the correct side. I found myself to be outside of my cabin while we passed interesting things. Try the alaska board, they may have better tips.

We had an Aft Royal Suite on the Mercury and loved every minute of it. The inland Passage was fantastic and I am sure the views would be great frome either side of the ship. I preferred the Aft for the Passage Way as the Sun was at our back for photos on the way north. You might check the schedule and see which direction has the least sea days.

Archived