Question about Skywalkers

twinkle toes

Why did Grand Princess do away with their Skywalkers Lounge? I loved to sit up there during the day. It was so quiet, only about 5 or 6 people there besides me.

Being it was the first Grand Class ship it was made of steel so it was removed because of weight (160 tons!!!). There were stress cracks as well.

As the newbuilds progressed lighter material was used.

Great youtube video of the removal in Nassau/Grand Bahama....

Narrated by CD Martyn Moss

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Structural reasons for the removal, it was too heavy. While I miss Skywalkers I do like the outside seating area behind the new OneFive disco. Chairs are comfortable and are covered so you are out of the sun.

It must have really been causing some problems as that was a pretty major change to the ship to remove.

Thats the major reason we don't book the Grand.

Same here, Keith.

When I watch her sail out of PE (live from the rocks!) I heave a sigh.

But it was too heavy and that is that. There was a huge price tag for the removal and I guess that weighed on the decision to replace it with something lighter.

I like Skywalkers for the view and the daytime quiet. It's not a money making bar though. If they opened the bar during the regular bar hours more people might go up there and help validate it's existence.

Norris

It must have really been causing some problems as that was a pretty major change to the ship to remove.

According to Capt. Nash once the "shipping cart handle" was removed it changed the plane of the ship in the water. It used to cruise on an inclined plane and now it cruises level in the water which has dramatically improved fuel consumption.