Pre-cruise motel north of SF?

jasbo49

We're sailing out of San Francisco Oct. 10 on the Grand Princess and looking for a logical place to stay a little north of the city, where we could just have a short drive on sailaway day.

It's Fleet Week, so motels and hotels will be crowded and expensive in SF. We also are not fond of traffic, so thinking we'll stay somewhere along I-80. Any ideas? There are just so many cities within an hour or so that it's hard to figure where to stay. Vallejo? Richmond? A dozen other places?

Any ideas would help. Thanks.

Jim

We're sailing out of San Francisco Oct. 10 on the Grand Princess and looking for a logical place to stay a little north of the city, where we could just have a short drive on sailaway day.

It's Fleet Week, so motels and hotels will be crowded and expensive in SF. We also are not fond of traffic, so thinking we'll stay somewhere along I-80. Any ideas? There are just so many cities within an hour or so that it's hard to figure where to stay. Vallejo? Richmond? A dozen other places?

Any ideas would help. Thanks.

Jim

So...You are DRIVING into the City? Where do you plan to leave your car during the cruise?

I have never done this myself, so I am just guessing a little here, but, one thought that pops into my head would be to look for a hotel that's near a BART station (Walnut Creek, Lafayette, Pleasant Hill) and ask if they would give me a deal that would include parking while on the cruise. Then, I'd leave my car parked there and take the BART in to the Embarcadero Station and grab a cab from there to the ship...Hotels in those areas may be quite a bit cheaper than in the City...and maybe they'd let you park for free...OR, you can park in the BART parking structure--at Pleasant Hill, for example, for $3/day...and there's an Embassy Suites within a block of the Station...

Just a thought...

Hi Steve. I should have noted we have parking already arranged at the Ace lot near the pier. We're looking for a one-night motel only, not parking. And I also probably should have noted we're kind of thrifty. Probably something in the Best Western range. Somewhere between, and not including, Motel 6 and Marriott.

Jim

Hi Steve. I should have noted we have parking already arranged at the Ace lot near the pier. We're looking for a one-night motel only, not parking. And I also probably should have noted we're kind of thrifty. Probably something in the Best Western range. Somewhere between, and not including, Motel 6 and Marriott.

Jim

Vallejo, not Richmond.

How about the Best Western at Six Flags in Vallejo? http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/CA/Vallejo-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-Inn-&-Suites-at-Discovery-Kingdom/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=05585&cm_mmc=BL-_-Google-_-GMB-_-05585

or

Down 101 to Corte Madera BW: http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/CA/Corte-Madera-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-Corte-Madera-Inn/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=05259

BTW: During the Fleet Week weekend, the Wharf area will be a MAD house. There be Navy ship tours and Blue Angel performance in the afternoon. Best to confirm and reconfirm your parking reservation as everyone will be looking for parking.

Edited by Philob

Vallejo, not Richmond.

How about the Best Western at Six Flags in Vallejo? http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/CA/Vallejo-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-Inn-&-Suites-at-Discovery-Kingdom/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=05585&cm_mmc=BL-_-Google-_-GMB-_-05585

or

Down 101 to Corte Madera BW: http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/US/CA/Corte-Madera-hotels/BEST-WESTERN-Corte-Madera-Inn/Hotel-Overview.do?propertyCode=05259

BTW: During the Fleet Week weekend, the Wharf area will be a MAD house. There be Navy ship tours and Blue Angel performance in the afternoon. Best to confirm and reconfirm your parking reservation as everyone will be looking for parking.

Thanks. We're looking at that Best Western near Six Flags, just working out some details. Our parking is paid in advance and we have a confirmation printout, so I'm figuring we're covered there. But thanks for the warning.

Jim