Koningsdam updates: Movies pool-side at night and new video

sppunk

I love MUTS and agree that it is not too loud while I'm on board a Princess ship. As a matter of fact, sometimes I wish it were turned up a bit louder. It reminds me of my childhood.... going to a drive-in theater and sitting out on a beautiful night. And, if they keep Dive-in and pizza open late it would be great. One of my wishes for HAL is to have some of their casual food venues besides the buffet open later.

I have mixed feelings about this having sailed with Princess quite a bit. I am onboard with the idea as long as it is primarily "under the stars" and doesn't turn into "movies and concerts all day long" as has happened on some Princess cruises....

By the way, I'd have to wonder if there is some odd carrying of sound across the water as regards to the experiences some have had. It is not generally overly loud onboard the ship -- perhaps the sound amplifies over water?

I think that is a very good point. On one of our cruises on HAL we were docked across from a Princess ship one time and it was very loud. I have been onboard a Princess ship and it is not.

It might very well be the way the sound is carrying over the water. Living near water, I do know how sound can carry.

Sailed Princess 7 times and not once have EVER been bothered by loud noises or ever hearing MUTS while on our balconies (both aft and midship). The sound might be moving over the ship into water but it certainly isn't bleeding downward.

It's far better, quieter and less obtrusive than that HALCats shrieking nonsense we were forced to endure in the past.

It's far better, quieter and less obtrusive than that HALCats shrieking nonsense we were forced to endure in the past.

In the past? I wish! We were on the Maasdam last week and a current iteration of the HALCATS managed to spoil a number of our visits to the pool. I've enjoyed the group on some past sailings, but the lead singer of this ensemble was the worst I've heard.

I have mixed feelings about this having sailed with Princess quite a bit. I am onboard with the idea as long as it is primarily "under the stars" and doesn't turn into "movies and concerts all day long" as has happened on some Princess cruises....

I feel the same way. The "day time" noise level would wake the dead.

I'm not sure I totally understand some who feel the necessity to be entertained all day/night long. Please don't take that wrong, I'm not being critical, I just don't understand it. :confused:

So if someone is keeping score (Sail ;) ) count me against please.

I feel the same way. The "day time" noise level would wake the dead.

I'm not sure I totally understand some who feel the necessity to be entertained all day/night long. Please don't take that wrong, I'm not being critical, I just don't understand it. :confused:

So if someone is keeping score (Sail ;) ) count me against please.

I think your comment sums up the issue pretty well. A cruise environment greatly affected by entertainment is preferred by some, while for others, at a certain point it's a turn-off (that we can't turn off :)). Some of us would have to go out of our way to avoid the sensory harassment :), while others will herd towards to it. I personally don't understand the big difference between watching the movie inside and then going outside afterward, vs. watching it outside. You'd think that drive-in theaters would be cropping up in lots of towns if it was really that special.