Kids on a 10 day

Kingisacruiser

I am seriously contemplating the 10 day Gem sailing from New York in December. Both Christmas and New Year's will fall during the sailing.

I have read that longer sailings tend to have less kids. Will this sailing have a lot of kids because it is during the time kids have off for the Holidays?

I want to bring my 11,10 and 7 year old but I wouldn't want them to be on a ship without a bunch of kids.

Thanks all. My next hurdle is how to afford it. The price looks steep to me and we need 2 cabins. Unfortunately, I'm not willing to pay the $35K it will cost for all of us to be in the same cabin in The Haven.

Check out the two bedroom suites on 11 if any are left. If your kids like camping, they will all fit in the second bedroom for sleeping. Otherwise, two in the second bedroom and one on the couch in the living room.

We had two adults in the second bedroom and they were fine, but then they are campers ;)

Just off the Getaway, and one tip if you are traveling with children, bring a portable DVD player and some of their favorite movies or cartoons.

NCL has, by far, the worst television programming on the seven seas,

so some of the down time spent in the cabin will be better if you can supply some entertainment for them....you won't be sorry.

Edited by richandkathynaplesfl

A 10 day during February.....next to no kids. A 10 day during holiday break lots of kids.

No true if the cruise is around Presidents' Day. Many school districts give the Presidents' Day week off plus taking kids out for an extra day or 2 and the 10 day is a perfect fit for families

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A 10 day during February.....next to no kids. A 10 day during holiday break lots of kids.

Best to recalculate those assumptions, as NYC sailings also include families & school-age children from the surrounding tri-state regions, suburb & private schools, all of which have their own recess & breaks, not to mention our neighbors north of the border (Canada) that often seek to "escape" the chills & winter from heading south. Cousin's friends from Quebec had and will travel short of a blizzard shutting down the interstates as their vehicles are fully winterized with 4 snow tires (plus chains, if needed) to get around.

One might not see a thousand plus "kids" on the *Away class ships or the Gem, but don't be shocked with a few hundred of them - plus, pre-schoolers are easily "excused" when parents keep them away & bring them along for the cruises. Especially if/when certain sailings have the Kids sailed free or 50% off promo, etc. etc.

Just off the Getaway, and one tip if you are traveling with children, bring a portable DVD player and some of their favorite movies or cartoons.

NCL has, by far, the worst television programming on the seven seas,

so some of the down time spent in the cabin will be better if you can supply some entertainment for them....you won't be sorry.

So true, I even bring it along for my own entertainment. The offerings in general are pretty horrendous.

No true if the cruise is around Presidents' Day. Many school districts give the Presidents' Day week off plus taking kids out for an extra day or 2 and the 10 day is a perfect fit for families

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's what we are doing. Our kids are going to miss 2 days leading into the Break.