Carnival Continues To Cutback

Cruiseathoning

Let's not forget to look at the cut-backs you don't see. If the front of the house has cut-backs, what do you think is happening behind the closed doors? More cut backs and eventually those old rust buckets will fail.

There has never been one fact given to back up claims on the "behind the doors" cutbacks...... in fact Carnival continues to lead in inspections... but that might not fit into the bashing mentality.....

We're still really new to cruising but so far have been happy with Carnival. It doesn't bother me too much that they are no longer offering lobster on the shorter cruises. For us, it's more about enjoying the rest & relaxation element and we've been able to do that on both cruises. If my dinner shows up hot and without a long wait, my room is kept tidy, and I can lay on a lounger all afternoon without being splashed, I'm a pretty happy camper.

What other cutbacks, besides the lobster, are being made?

Well while we had fun on our recent Magic cruise and my son is still asking to go back to the ship, I think I'd rather foot the money to have more. We would've sailed another line if my in-laws hadn't gone with us. Our vacation time has value as well, not just the cruise fair is considered in the equation.

I'm not sure where the balance is and I think Carnival & other lines are still trying to figure that out. I know not everyone can afford to spend more even if it really meant they received more for their money, so in that respect Carnival is doing a pretty good job.

Hearing negative reviews about other lines though that have raised prices is what makes it hard choosing a cruise for our family vacation. Perhaps on Royal Caribbean you have to go on the newest bigger ships to receive more for your money, I'm not sure. I'd be willing to give Disney a try even though they are quite a bit more expensive than Carnival. Then again, I'm perfectly happy with a week at Disney World.

Edited by KITKAT0229

We're still really new to cruising but so far have been happy with Carnival. It doesn't bother me too much that they are no longer offering lobster on the shorter cruises. For us, it's more about enjoying the rest & relaxation element and we've been able to do that on both cruises. If my dinner shows up hot and without a long wait, my room is kept tidy, and I can lay on a lounger all afternoon without being splashed, I'm a pretty happy camper.

What other cutbacks, besides the lobster, are being made?

This pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Many will say “You’re settling for a deteriorating product for the same or higher price”. And I will say you’re right. I can readily afford to cruise with significantly more upscale lines. I don’t choose to for the simple fact Carnival provides the product I find satisfactory – even with the “cutbacks”.

Take away chocolates on the pillow? Insignificant. Take away lobster tails? Insignificant. Demote the “Loyalty Rewards Program”? Insignificant. Change from stylized stage shows to “Playlist Productions”? Insignificant. Adding them all up? Still insignificant.

Carnival, as any smart business would, is evolving its product to remain competitive and saturated to attract customers directly in its price-point market. To do so, changes will be implemented that will seem like cutbacks to some but in fact they are made to (1) sustain a price level attractive to the mass market and (2) keep attracting and satisfying the demographic that keeps its ships booked. Expecting 5-star service, entertainment and dining at a 3-star price is an exercise in futility.

In the prior decade, cruise prices have traditionally roller-coastered due to poor bookings. Bookings are currently strong and have been for at least the past three years. Trend indicators are that they will remain that way for some time. More and more people are finding Carnival is the right experience for them at the price they find affordable.

It’s been said many times before: if you don’t like the changes, find another cruise line. That’s not meant to be an insult or dismissive of the opinion. It’s just honest. If you are unhappy with the product of one seller, find another that will make you happy.

It’s perfectly acceptable to “complain” about changes but when those complaints turn into a missive characterizing Carnival as a gigantic greedy corporation who doesn’t give two poops about its customers the arguments tend to lose credibility. (Those of you who fit this description know exactly who you are.)

No amount of “complaining” is going to get a cruise line to provide you with exactly the cruise experience you want because everyone wants something different. Carnival tries its best to appeal to as many as possible who have common expectations.

Until Carnival feeds me cheese sandwiches, asks me to sleep on a blow-up air mattress or requires me to row the ship, I’ll keep coming back because in all other aspects they have what I want. Apparently for thousands of others as well.

:eek: This will be our first cruise with Carnival, so to be honest I don't know what cutbacks are there, but I do know I have read enough to actually put me off the upcoming cruise for my 50th birthday :(

it seems there will be practically nothing to do in the afternoons if we do not go off ship and also there will only be pizza after 9:30pm :eek:

well its paid and we are going but bet your bottom dollar I will be back on CC with full review and what I think about the value for my money was ;)

Cheers :D Wullie

:eek: This will be our first cruise with Carnival, so to be honest I don't know what cutbacks are there, but I do know I have read enough to actually put me off the upcoming cruise for my 50th birthday :(

it seems there will be practically nothing to do in the afternoons if we do not go off ship and also there will only be pizza after 9:30pm :eek:

well its paid and we are going but bet your bottom dollar I will be back on CC with full review and what I think about the value for my money was ;)

Well I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment by going into it with a negative outlook.

I went on Celebrity a few years ago... talk about nothing to do. Carnival may or may not be right for you, but the price point of other cruise lines wont necessarily fix you overall worry of having practically nothing to do.

I do hope you enjoy your cruise and happy birthday!

This pretty much sums it up for me as well.

Many will say “You’re settling for a deteriorating product for the same or higher price”. And I will say you’re right. I can readily afford to cruise with significantly more upscale lines. I don’t choose to for the simple fact Carnival provides the product I find satisfactory – even with the “cutbacks”.

Take away chocolates on the pillow? Insignificant. Take away lobster tails? Insignificant. Demote the “Loyalty Rewards Program”? Insignificant. Change from stylized stage shows to “Playlist Productions”? Insignificant. Adding them all up? Still insignificant.

Carnival, as any smart business would, is evolving its product to remain competitive and saturated to attract customers directly in its price-point market. To do so, changes will be implemented that will seem like cutbacks to some but in fact they are made to (1) sustain a price level attractive to the mass market and (2) keep attracting and satisfying the demographic that keeps its ships booked. Expecting 5-star service, entertainment and dining at a 3-star price is an exercise in futility.

In the prior decade, cruise prices have traditionally roller-coastered due to poor bookings. Bookings are currently strong and have been for at least the past three years. Trend indicators are that they will remain that way for some time. More and more people are finding Carnival is the right experience for them at the price they find affordable.

It’s been said many times before: if you don’t like the changes, find another cruise line. That’s not meant to be an insult or dismissive of the opinion. It’s just honest. If you are unhappy with the product of one seller, find another that will make you happy.

It’s perfectly acceptable to “complain” about changes but when those complaints turn into a missive characterizing Carnival as a gigantic greedy corporation who doesn’t give two poops about its customers the arguments tend to lose credibility. (Those of you who fit this description know exactly who you are.)

No amount of “complaining” is going to get a cruise line to provide you with exactly the cruise experience you want because everyone wants something different. Carnival tries its best to appeal to as many as possible who have common expectations.

Until Carnival feeds me cheese sandwiches, asks me to sleep on a blow-up air mattress or requires me to row the ship, I’ll keep coming back because in all other aspects they have what I want. Apparently for thousands of others as well.

You've said exactly what I have said on here a number of times, only phrased much better than I. I said you cant expect a 5 star cruise at 3 star prices but people just kept arguing that with Carnival you're not getting 5 star quality. :confused:

Well I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment by going into it with a negative outlook.

I went on Celebrity a few years ago... talk about nothing to do. Carnival may or may not be right for you, but the price point of other cruise lines wont necessarily fix you overall worry of having practically nothing to do.

I do hope you enjoy your cruise and happy birthday!

Wow, our one cruise on Celebrity was the only time I was ever bored on a cruise ship. Plus by 11PM the ship was a ghost town.

None of this bothers me as we don't go to the shows because we think they're boring

I also don't eat lobster

We've cruised on every major line except Disney. We have enjoyed every cruise on everyship and have learned to make lemonade when handed lemons. IMO all of the cruise lines have cut back in order to keep prices down in order to keep the ships full. Some have cut back on service (Holland), some have cut back on food (NCL, CCL and probably all of them) on loyalty perks (most of them) and on entertainment (CCL) and have added more "ala carte" options for those who want/choose to spend the additional. That works for me! Sometimes we splurge and sometimes we take the least expensive way possible just to get away. Yes, entertainment is probably best on Royal but service isn't, cabin size isn't, thermal suites isn't. Each line and each ship has its strengths and weaknesses and unless you're spending the really big bucks (Regent, Silversea, Crystal) you won't find any one ship or line that offers everything to everyone and certainly not at a price everyone is willing to pay. In the end, some people like vanilla, some like chocolate and some people don't like either!

My husband and I (we are in our 20s) went on our first cruise last year...actually 3 lol, 2 with carnival and one RCCL. We have never struggled to find things to do and we also never spent any money on extras with the exception of tips and cab fares. It all depends on what you enjoy. Port days are a great time to use the pools or dine at the places that usually have a longer line since the ship is practically empty. We also enjoy walking around the upper decks for some site seeing/taking pictures. They offer Spa specials on port days if you are into that. Pizza is available around the clock. The Carnival cabins are more spacious than RCCL. I think you will have a great time as long as you go in with a positive attitude. We have an upcoming back to back on Carnival Liberty in a few months. Can't wait! I hope you have a nice time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We haven't sailed RCCL, but we have sailed on Celebrity as well as Carnival and here is just my own opinion...we sailed Celebrity because it was way cheaper for an Alaskan cruise last May/June and got a bunch of great perks to boot, Carnival couldn't come close no matter how hard our PVP tried. So that being said...the MDR food on Celebrity is so much better than Carnival that it doesn't even come close to comparing. The entertainment in the theater on Celebrity has Carnival beat hands down. Carnival is much more "fun". The staterooms on Carnival are much better. The bathrooms in the staterooms on Carnival are WAY bigger. The buffet on Carnival beats Celebrity by leaps and bounds (outside of the MDR Celebrity food is seriously lacking in appeal), the entertainment outside of the theater is non existent on Celebrity, so another win for Carnival. As far as prices, as I said Celebrity beat Carnival on our Alaskan Cruise. I really wish Carnival had more variety of itineraries here on the west coast, so we could drive. We would definitely take more than our 2 cruises a year if we didn't have to fly to cruise. So all of this being said, I would give the comparison win to Carnival and I am not loyal to any single line, I'm loyal to my wallet and greedy about my vacations!

There has never been one fact given to back up claims on the "behind the doors" cutbacks...... in fact Carnival continues to lead in inspections... but that might not fit into the bashing mentality.....

Companies that lower fees to attract customers will often not only cut back on quality of service, but will cut back on all aspects of the operation. Might be painting less, cleaning less, putting off on minor/major repairs etc. The biggest expense is behind the closed doors. Making negative statements is very common on Carnival and in Carnival reviews. I'm just one of many that have opened my eyes and noticed.

Companies that lower fees to attract customers will often not only cut back on quality of service, but will cut back on all aspects of the operation. Might be painting less, cleaning less, putting off on minor/major repairs etc. The biggest expense is behind the closed doors. Making negative statements is very common on Carnival and in Carnival reviews. I'm just one of many that have opened my eyes and noticed.

And you have proof of all this besides CC post?

If you really think all that is true why on earth would you cruise with Carnival?

Edited by Cruise4Music

We haven't sailed RCCL, but we have sailed on Celebrity as well as Carnival and here is just my own opinion...we sailed Celebrity because it was way cheaper for an Alaskan cruise last May/June and got a bunch of great perks to boot, Carnival couldn't come close no matter how hard our PVP tried. So that being said...the MDR food on Celebrity is so much better than Carnival that it doesn't even come close to comparing. The entertainment in the theater on Celebrity has Carnival beat hands down. Carnival is much more "fun". The staterooms on Carnival are much better. The bathrooms in the staterooms on Carnival are WAY bigger. The buffet on Carnival beats Celebrity by leaps and bounds (outside of the MDR Celebrity food is seriously lacking in appeal), the entertainment outside of the theater is non existent on Celebrity, so another win for Carnival. As far as prices, as I said Celebrity beat Carnival on our Alaskan Cruise. I really wish Carnival had more variety of itineraries here on the west coast, so we could drive. We would definitely take more than our 2 cruises a year if we didn't have to fly to cruise. So all of this being said, I would give the comparison win to Carnival and I am not loyal to any single line, I'm loyal to my wallet and greedy about my vacations!

The "variety of itineraries here on the west coast" is the big problem for us west coast only cruises.

I will say that Carnival Corp. (Carnival, HAL, Princess) kept ships on the west coast while RCI left years ago and never came back to any degree.

Wow, our one cruise on Celebrity was the only time I was ever bored on a cruise ship. Plus by 11PM the ship was a ghost town.

Not sure whether you were agreeing or disagreeing with me. But rereading my post I realize it may have been a bit confusing. I was totally bored on Celebrity. There was nothing to do. Like you, I was wandering the ship in the evening wondering where everyone was.

I chose Celebrity over Carnival because I'm not a party person, but I found it completely devoid of any sort of fun atmosphere. I haven't been on Carnival in 15 years but I think we will have a lot more fun. Most fun I ever had on a cruise was on the Caribbean Princess.

Edited by aflyingbuttress

I agree nobody has to go to Disney I'm just amazed they do

And until they stop paying the prices and stop going Disney will continue to overcharge and price gouge

As soon as Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL, Celebrity, etc have a boat full of "Princesses" then people will jump off Disney. In other words....NEVER. If you have little kids who adore the princesses and the mice then you are gonna take them on a Disney cruise. You may only do it once then you either leave the kids with grandma or put them in Camp Carnival for the week. I think a Disney cruise, for the most part, is a one time thing. Then people get back to reality. I'd love to talk to someone who has been on several Disney cruises and have them compare their first to their last. I'll bet things have changed over there too. Oh yeah they also have a monopoly of those mice and princeses.

Your gripe is about what other people do? Frankly it is none of your business what other people do. Just like it is none of our business what you do. If you want to stop cruising because you don't like the prices, then do that. But do not expect that other people will follow your lead when you continually say that your opinion is correct and theirs is not but don't want them to bother you by asking you to prove it. You cannot prove any point you made by just restating the premise that others are wrong and you are right. Using your logic, we would all have to stop doing anything that costs more than it did last year or the year before. Now, how logical is that? Never mind, I can already see you typing "I respectfully disagree that it implies that, at least not in my mind. But I don't have time to show you facts to prove my point. My major gripe is people saying "yes, thank you. May I have another."

I agree. In day to day life it is none of my business what other people do. But this is a public forum, is it not? It is a place where opinions are stated, agreed with, and disagreed with. Did the OP start a public thread with the assumption that everyone who disagrees with their opinion would just silently think, "I disagree with that," and move on to a different thread they happen to agree with? I hardly think disagreeing with someone's opinion on a CC board equates to nosing in on someone's business. Do I think you are putting your nose where it doesn't belong by openly disagreeing with things I've said on an internet forum? Of course not. This board is all about expressing opinions and agreeing and disagreeing with opinions. I find your statement that I should mind my own business while on an internet forum rather silly, to be honest.

No, I honestly don't have time to do an in depth analysis of current Carnival prices versus prior Carnival prices. I gave one example of it, then went on to state that comparing individual cruise prices is meaningless in arguing prices in general. You've already stated, multiple times, that prices go up and it's a fact of life. If you agree with me that Carnival prices have gone up, why should I spend hours doing research to try and prove it to you? You like to lean on the word, logic, so where would the logic be in that?

If I stop cruising, it won't be out of anger over Carnival's prices. It will be because I can't afford to do it any longer. I'm one to only use disposable income on vacations, luxuries that they are. I love cruising, but I won't borrow money, or pay credit card interest to do it. When cruising becomes something I can no longer do without using money I should be using to pay for necessities, that's when I will stop cruising. And I'll be much more sad than angry about it.

You are putting a lot of words in my mouth, btw. I've never once stated I think anyone should stop cruising, nor have I IMPLIED it, another of your favorite debate words. I think I mentioned something about Carnival's prices going down, perhaps, if they were to start having difficulty in filling their ships. I asked no one to become a part of that. I simply think it's something that might happen in time, given that the majority of Carnival's customers are working, middle class people with a finite vacation budget. Besides, it really wouldn't take people ceasing to cruise altogether to do it. A large number of people cruising, say once every 14 months, instead of once every 9 months would have an impact. But, for the record, I'm not suggesting people do that either as some sort of protest. I just think it might happen naturally.

The reason I'm having to continue to restate my initial point, isn't because I hope to win an argument by doing so. It's because you continue to say I'm saying/doing things that I'm just not saying/doing. Again, let me say it one more time. This was my initial stated opinion (and remains so). I think it is counterproductive for a consumer to congratulate a company for raising prices, while simultaneously making cutbacks. And that was, and is, aimed at the OP. I won't ask you to reread that post yourself, I'll go to the trouble of quoting part of for you.

"What Carnival is doing and providing is nothing short of a logistical miracle, and a tribute to the commitment of providing passenger happiness."

That sounds like a hardy congratulations to me. Perhaps my opinion on it is dead wrong. Perhaps it isn't. Either way, stating it is NOT trying to mind someone else's business in the context of this forum. BTW, just out of curiosity, do YOU think patting a company on the back for raising prices and cutting back is a wise thing for a consumer to do? Does it not IMPLY that the company continuing to do so - to almost any extent - would also be fine and dandy? Don't you think any for profit business would indeed continue to cut costs and raise prices beyond what is financially necessary, if their customers gave them their blessing to do so?

I'll ignore your remark about knowing what I'm going to type before I type it. As tempting as it is to respond to that little insult, I'll refrain, and hopefully prevent this exchange from continuing and escalting. I think we both have better things to do. Instead, I'll just say, best wishes and happy cruising.

Edited by Towel Critter

First of all, they have not been lowering "fees", in fact their cruise rates have become mrs stable then they have been in the past. You alluded that their "cutbacks" behind the scenes would make their ships rust buckets which would fail. I would love to see some proof f that. I have been on older ships and been behind the scenes and seen nothing to support your comments, just the opposite. Lastly, the negative comments on this thread is limited to a pretty select few who bash. Carnival reviews are just fine, as they have been.

As soon as Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL, Celebrity, etc have a boat full of "Princesses" then people will jump off Disney. In other words....NEVER. If you have little kids who adore the princesses and the mice then you are gonna take them on a Disney cruise. You may only do it once then you either leave the kids with grandma or put them in Camp Carnival for the week. I think a Disney cruise, for the most part, is a one time thing. Then people get back to reality. I'd love to talk to someone who has been on several Disney cruises and have them compare their first to their last. I'll bet things have changed over there too. Oh yeah they also have a monopoly of those mice and princeses.

I don't know. MY BIL/SIL's family go on an extended family cruise every year on Disney (13 people that her in-laws pay for). BIL has never cruise another line and he says "Disney actually has adult only areas." I said, "you do know that ALL cruiselines have that???" Some folks drink the Koolaid.

Maybe if he was paying, he might venture out.