Catholic Mass on all HAL Ships

Three hills

<snip>

I cruise both HAL and Crystal quite frequently and love both. Overall, both cruise lines tend to deliver more than they promise in this regard. HAL does not specifically specify a Protestant Chaplain for longer cruises but in fact they do and I love them for that. I wish the shorter cruises were as well covered.

Crystal promises the priest will do an Interdenominational service on “ Sundays at sea”. Actually, since I started scanning and saving my Reflections in 2008 their priests have conducted quality services in port on 10 of 10 occasions. As others have pointed out there are times when HAL will not have a priest, and yes, a leg of a Collectors Cruise is in fact a cruise. HAL can hardly be blamed when a priest jumps ship, although I would hope that priest would never be invited back. Things happen. Crystal recognizes this and does not promise more than they can deliver.

Roy

Roy - just wanted to say thank you for this post. You obviously know of what you speak, and I follow your blogs, so I know how important this is to you. The voice of reason.:)

Coming to dinner late in traditional is rude. It's very disrespectful to the staff. How is that ok? If you feel it is ok I feel very sorry for your dining staff. The red triangle is available for you to alert the moderaters if you feel anything is inappropriate. I don't think anyone but the mods need to make that decision.

A couple coming to dinner late at a 2-top isn't much of a problem, but if that same couple is at an 8-top it very definitely is rude.

I am under the impression that it’s not quite the vacation for a priest that you seem to say. My impression is that he needs to provide mass for the cruisers each day and then possibly a separate mass for the crew late at night. He also must be available to provide guidance to both cruisers and the crew. And often he will be called upon to hold various classes and activities, depending on his outside interests.

We had the sad experience many years ago where a table mate died during a cruise and the priest was there to handle last rites and other associated details. On another cruise we had the pleasure of having a priest at our table who explained his role and his daily schedule. Very busy man.