Catholic Mass on all HAL Ships

Three hills

I know that this question pops up frequently on these boards so I decided to post this info for cruise critic members. This past June we were on an 11 night cruise from Rome to Barcelona on HAL Zuiderdam and Mass was celebrated everyday, some days at 5PM and other days at 8AM (Check the Daily Newsletter). The American priest onboard said that HAL is the only cruiseline that offers the daily of Mass on all their ships every day all year round. He mentioned that the Apostleship of the Sea makes it possible that there’s a roaster of priests on every HAL sailing and at the same time it’s a vacation for the priest.

Yes...it's so lovely to be able to have a routine onboard that really isn't possible at home. I love being able to have my wine and see a show without worrying about driving home, just as much as I love being able to readily attend mass each day. These are the things that make cruising so magical.

...The American priest onboard said that HAL is the only cruiseline that offers the daily of Mass on all their ships every day all year round. He mentioned that the Apostleship of the Sea makes it possible that there’s a roaster of priests on every HAL sailing and at the same time it’s a vacation for the priest.

I am under the impression that it’s not quite the vacation for a priest that you seem to say. My impression is that he needs to provide mass for the cruisers each day and then possibly a separate mass for the crew late at night. He also must be available to provide guidance to both cruisers and the crew. And often he will be called upon to hold various classes and activities, depending on his outside interests.

I have spoken with one priest that shared he was really exhausted at the end of the cruise.

Scott & Karen

I don't know who sets the time for Mass, but be aware that the times vary. On our recent cruises sometimes it was in the morning (8AM) and sometimes in the afternoon. Mass at 5 PM interferes with early sitting for dinner, so if you plan to go to Mass every day, don't opt for early dining.

I suppose you could call ship's services to find out the schedule.

I am under the impression that it’s not quite the vacation for a priest that you seem to say. My impression is that he needs to provide mass for the cruisers each day and then possibly a separate mass for the crew late at night. He also must be available to provide guidance to both cruisers and the crew. And often he will be called upon to hold various classes and activities, depending on his outside interests.

I have spoken with one priest that shared he was really exhausted at the end of the cruise.

Scott & Karen

We once attended a crew Mass on a Sunday late evening. It was departure day and the crew turnout was light - not sure if this is the norm or not.

Thank you for posting this information. As we have indicated on every one of our Cruise Surveys, as long as HAL continues to provide a Roman Catholic priest on its cruises, we will continue to be 100% loyal to HAL.

Again, thank you for spreading the word!

Smooth sailing ...

I don't know who sets the time for Mass, but be aware that the times vary. On our recent cruises sometimes it was in the morning (8AM) and sometimes in the afternoon. Mass at 5 PM interferes with early sitting for dinner, so if you plan to go to Mass every day, don't opt for early dining.

Just as a heads-up, on a couple of occasions the priest has announced a change in the schedule (i.e. 5 instead of 8, or vice versa) or room location for the next day. So it doesn't hurt to verify.

We'll soon be taking our sixth cruise, and the daily Mass is one of the reasons all our cruises have been with Holland America. At least one of us attends most days (one of us occasionally rises too late in the morning). :)

As a general rule, Mass is held at 5 pm on port days and at 8 am on sea days. And, yes, one could call HAL Ship Services to find out the schedule, or one could also look at the daily On Location paper.

We have been on more HAL cruises than I can count on all my fingers and toes and we have never encountered a problem with Mass conflicting with our early dinning time. Every one of our cruise priests has been mindful of dinning times and has adjusted the length of his sermon ("Homily") to accommodate our schedules.

Edited by avian777

As a general rule, Mass is held at 5 pm on port days and at 8 am on sea days. And, yes, one could call HAL Ship Services to find out the schedule, or one could also look at the daily On Location paper.

We have been on more HAL cruises than I can count on all my fingers and toes and we have never encountered a problem with Mass conflicting with our early dinning time. Every one of our cruise priests has been mindful of dinning times and has adjusted the length of his sermon ("Homily") to accommodate our schedules.

On our recent cruise, early fixed dining was 5:15. When I was a kid, we had a priest who could say Mass quickly, but even Father B couldn't be done in 15 minutes.

Apparently the organization "Apostleship of the Sea" is spreading the misinformation that HAL is the only cruise line doing this. It may be the only cruise line using THEM to do this but AT LEAST Crystal offers this as well. Not a very Christian position for Apostleship of the Sea to be taking.

Roy

According to Crystal's web site:

"Jewish and Protestant services are available during major holidays, and Catholic services are offered on most cruises. Interdenominational services are performed on Sundays at sea. Details on the services are provided in the Reflections daily program."

In fact, Crystal only has a priest on board its cruises when there is "space available" and has on occasion cancelled the priest's reservation. So it is not true that Crystal provides a priest on every cruise as HAL does and has for its entire history.

On our recent cruise, early fixed dining was 5:15. When I was a kid, we had a priest who could say Mass quickly, but even Father B couldn't be done in 15 minutes.

Thank you for sharing this info. For us that would not have been a problem - we would have either arranged a later seating time with the MDR Manager or dined at a later time in another venue. We are only too happy to rearrange our dinning schedule to be able to attend daily Mass, but I do understand that our priorities are not shared by everyone else ...

Edited by avian777

Did your Father B give a homily in the short services? My first weekday attendance was one year during college, and homilies were not given. It was 6:30am, which would have made my attendance improbable but for the fact it was my Lenten observance. :) Anyway, I made it through the 40 days and realized that waking up at 6am was humanly possible.:) I picked up the practice again, as work situations allowed, in my early thirties.

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse

On one Collectors Cruise we were on that had the midpoint stop in Civitavecchia, our priest on board "jumped ship" and went to Rome! No priest for the next segment, so it isn't 100% accurate that there is always a priest on board. We have also on occasion had a rabbi sailing with us, and other denominations of Christian chaplains. We always mention in the survey that we appreciate having services on board.

Edited by Vict0riann

On one Collectors Cruise we were on that had the midpoint stop in Civitavecchia, our priest on board "jumped ship" and went to Rome! No priest for the next segment, so it isn't 100% accurate that there is always a priest on board. We have also on occasion had a rabbi sailing with us, and other denominations of Christian chaplains. We always mention in the survey that we appreciate having services on board.

Thank you for posting this. You are correct. In fact, I've been on a couple HAL cruises that had no priest at all and the service was either canceled or non-denominational. Please disregard the people who feel the need to respond to informative posts with snarky remarks.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

Scott & Karen

I have never been exhausted at the end of a Chaplaincy. I am only sad that the cruise has come to an end. By the way, I am one of the priests that act as Chaplain on HAL ships!

The last time I did fixed dining there was a couple of people that were late every night for dinner because they attended mass. Why they didn't do open is beyond me.

The last time I did fixed dining there was a couple of people that were late every night for dinner because they attended mass. Why they didn't do open is beyond me.

I suspect someone may be pulling your leg or ours. Did the couple bother to explain why they were late for dinner when Mass was at 8 am, as it is on sea days? Or was your cruise in port every day (including embarkation day)? I do, however, agree with you that people who want to attend Mass (or any other activity, for that matter) should make other dinner arrangements (when they know they will be late for dinner) so as not to inconvenience the staff and other passengers. Thanks for the reminder.

I suspect someone may be pulling your leg or ours. Did the couple bother to explain why they were late for dinner when Mass was at 8 am, as it is on sea days? Or was your cruise in port every day (including embarkation day)? I do, however, agree with you that people who want to attend Mass (or any other activity, for that matter) should make other dinner arrangements (when they know they will be late for dinner) so as not to inconvenience the staff and other passengers. Thanks for the reminder.

It wasn't a couple. I said a couple of people. Not that I need to explain but the cruise was port intensive at mass was at 5 pm. Contrary to what was posted the priest doesn't end mass so people can get to dinner on time:D.

Apparently the organization "Apostleship of the Sea" is spreading the misinformation that HAL is the only cruise line doing this. It may be the only cruise line using THEM to do this but AT LEAST Crystal offers this as well. Not a very Christian position for Apostleship of the Sea to be taking.

It could be there's a difference in the establishment of credentials. The Apostleship of the Sea does vetting of the priests it assigns to assure that they are (literally) card-carrying priests in good standing.

There are ordained men who have left the priesthood, and are no longer allowed to celebrate Mass or perform sacraments except under extreme circumstances. Some of them, however, have found opportunities to do that very thing.

Now, I am not saying that Crystal uses priests who are not supposed to be doing the functions, but I am wondering if that's the reason for the statement.

It could be there's a difference in the establishment of credentials. The Apostleship of the Sea does vetting of the priests it assigns to assure that they are (literally) card-carrying priests in good standing.

There are ordained men who have left the priesthood, and are no longer allowed to celebrate Mass or perform sacraments except under extreme circumstances. Some of them, however, have found opportunities to do that very thing.

Now, I am not saying that Crystal uses priests who are not supposed to be doing the functions, but I am wondering if that's the reason for the statement.

Thank you for your post. You are correct about the rigorous vetting process that is conducted by AoS. The priests that Crystal has on "most cruises" where it has "space available" are supplied by Compass Speakers & Entertainment Inc, and they are not vetted nor do they carry credentials from their Diocese or AoS. Whether or not they may be "defrocked" priests, I do not know and am not implying anything to that effect.

Edited by avian777

I have never been exhausted at the end of a Chaplaincy. I am only sad that the cruise has come to an end. By the way, I am one of the priests that act as Chaplain on HAL ships!

as I was reading , I kept saying --where's "himself" he could clear this up - pronto:D--- thks father

Edited by maxie99