Cruise on Breakaway from NYC on 10/4 2015

cruiserbear55

We are from Canada and can't even follow what people are talking about with the street names etc. I did research but not enough to figure that out. If we take a taxi from midtown Manhattan will we be ok if we leave early? I'm hoping the taxi drivers will know how to get around it.

I'm getting a little stressed......

What part of Midtown - East or West? Or which Avenue, if you don't know which side of the number street it is?

General rule of thumb when there's a street closure - Take mass transit and/or walk to your destination. If you must go by car - add 30 minutes to 3 hours, traffic can be brutal when its closure, even on the weekends (weekdays, its a crapshoot but weekends, usually it breeze - ie. 30 minute car ride on a Monday is 5 minute ride on Saturday/Sunday)

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

I'm sure it will be fine, its not like they are going to block off folks from going to the piers, just may be more of a pain.

I sent an email to the NY port - i'll see if i get any response.

They're not going to stop people, especially at 50th Street - the walk across to 12th Ave is super breezy. Its not as if you're walking 7th or 5th Ave, you're going to 9th-12th Ave which is more industrial /residential/ automobile showroom, no matter which train stop you get off.

I wouldn't worry about it - on paper and hearing about it, sounds bad, but when you see it in person, its smooth sailings *pun intended*.

What part of Midtown - East or West? Or which Avenue, if you don't know which side of the number street it is?

General rule of thumb when there's a street closure - Take mass transit and/or walk to your destination. If you must go by car - add 30 minutes to 3 hours, traffic can be brutal when its closure, even on the weekends (weekdays, its a crapshoot but weekends, usually it breeze - ie. 30 minute car ride on a Monday is 5 minute ride on Saturday/Sunday)

We are staying at 312 west 37th street - Homewood Suites.

It's me and my 76 year old mom with full size suitcases and carry ons - walking or mass transit wouldn't be possible.

You're saying it might take 3 hours to get to the pier if we take a taxi? I'm confused.

I'm thinking we never should have booked this trip.

It's me and my 76 year old mom with full size suitcases and carry ons - walking or mass transit wouldn't be possible.

You're saying it might take 3 hours to get to the pier if we take a taxi? I'm confused.

You're staying at a hotel in the city (not far from the pier) so you should have too much of a problem getting close to the pier.

Heck, the cab might be able to take you right up to her. We can't tell just yet how bad the traffic/street closures will be.

We also are from Canada sailing on this cruise. We are staying at Hilton Midtown and must take a cab. The hotel is at 1335 Avenue of Americas. What route should we take?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I'm at the hotel next door to you. :p

I'm letting Carmel Car Service get me to the ship. :)

We also are from Canada sailing on this cruise. We are staying at Hilton Midtown and must take a cab. The hotel is at 1335 Avenue of Americas. What route should we take?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you're all leaving on Oct 4th - you've got problems, where you might have to leave super early and walk on foot at least 1 or 2 blocks away, at around 55 or 56th street. (I looked at the NYC.gov website). The race starting/ending point is right outside the pier on the highway from 7:30am-12:30pm - that's going to brutal. I really don't have any recommended streets /Avenue for anyone to take because it, well,the closure is right in front of the Terminal - give yourself extra time in the morning if going by car or walking from mass transit.

Any other Sunday, except the Nov 1st NYC marathon (same advice - give yourself extra time to get in) - its an easy fast drive to the pier in an car. Reason why to give yourself 3 hour wait /start, because popular events will have alot people attending with alot of backup car traffic -plan according.

If you're all leaving on Oct 4th - you've got problems, where you might have to leave super early and walk on foot at least 1 or 2 blocks away, at around 55 or 56th street. (I looked at the NYC.gov website). The race starting/ending point is right outside the pier on the highway from 7:30am-12:30pm - that's going to brutal. I really don't have any recommended streets /Avenue for anyone to take because it, well,the closure is right in front of the Terminal - give yourself extra time in the morning if going by car or walking from mass transit.

Any other Sunday, except the Nov 1st NYC marathon (same advice - give yourself extra time to get in) - its an easy fast drive to the pier in an car. Reason why to give yourself 3 hour wait /start, because popular events will have alot people attending with alot of backup car traffic -plan according.

Don't forget about the 5 boro bike tour 1st Sunday in May. :eek:

Talk about a nightmare!!! (I stay in the city the night before if cruising for my birthday early May, but no worries next year since I am taking a land trip to Cali) :D

Don't forget about the 5 boro bike tour 1st Sunday in May. :eek:

Talk about a nightmare!!! (I stay in the city the night before if cruising for my birthday early May, but no worries next year since I am taking a land trip to Cali) :D

Oh yeah, that one too - Dunno how that one can mess up the subways badly that's nowhere near it, is beyond me but it does.....one would think the NYC marathon would screw up mass transit but no its the 5 Boro Bike race, weird....

I remember the bike tour very well. Many years ago my Dad had come to visit us in the morning and when he left to go home, (normally a 20 minute drive), took him 3 1/2 hours. He said 10/10 news kept saying there was a 15 minute delay on the VZ bridge and he was stuck on the highway for 3 hours and when he got over he wasn't allowed to exit on 92nd Street, (where he lived), and had to go to the next exit, (75th St) and there was something going on there so he had to go all the way to Shore Road to travel back to 92 and come up. Every year I would call him and remind him not to go on the VZ that day. lol

I cruised on the Breakaway on the date of the Bike MS race two years ago and I'm doing it again this year. I didn't experience a significant problem then and don't expect to this year.

Except for someone who is planning to get to the pier by driving south on the West Side Highway, which will be closed, the traffic disruption getting to the pier is relatively small...maybe an extra 15 to 30 minutes tops, and even less if you plan on arriving at the pier between 9 and 9:30, which is in the window between the start of the race and when the riders will be returning.

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. I should have mentioned we're driving down from New Hampshire and planned on parking in the cruise terminal lots. Hope we make it!

An alternative to consider- IF no mobility limits and the ability to pack light- is to take a Metro North train to Grand Central. Can then take the 7 subway, then walking 1/2 mile :), wouldn't be involved in any "traffic".

My husband contacted someone at the bike race, and here is what she said. I hope this helps all my fellow passengers on 10/4 :)

Date: September 23, 2015 at 9:52:43 AM EDT

To: "walruz73"

Subject: RE: Oct 4

Hi Walter,

The streets will only be blocked to traffic directly before the race begins, so this will not affect your drive.

Please see the Pier 92/94 website for directions and nearby parking:

http://www.piers9294.com/about/parking/

Thank you so much for participating in Bike MS NYC!

Best,

Mikki

Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 6:59 PM

To: BikeMS

Subject: Oct 4

Hello

I have a question about access to pier the area on the morning of the race. What time will the surrounding streets be blocked to auto traffic and what will be the best way to arrive at the pier coming from Pelham via 95?

Thanks

Walter

Sent from my iPhone

My husband contacted someone at the bike race, and here is what she said. I hope this helps all my fellow passengers on 10/4 :)

Date: September 23, 2015 at 9:52:43 AM EDT

To: "walruz73"

Subject: RE: Oct 4

Hi Walter,

The streets will only be blocked to traffic directly before the race begins, so this will not affect your drive.

Please see the Pier 92/94 website for directions and nearby parking:

http://www.piers9294.com/about/parking/

Thank you so much for participating in Bike MS NYC!

Best,

Mikki

Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 6:59 PM

To: BikeMS

Subject: Oct 4

Hello

I have a question about access to pier the area on the morning of the race. What time will the surrounding streets be blocked to auto traffic and what will be the best way to arrive at the pier coming from Pelham via 95?

Thanks

Walter

Sent from my iPhone

I spoke with that girl last Thursday and she was nice and almost helpful but

after a couple of minutes trying to find it on her computer she said she was too busy and I should check out NYC.GOV the week before the cruise.

Race 1 starts at 7:20

Races 2 & 3 start at 7:30

So, we should be all set. No worries! I just want to get on the ship and order my first beverage. I wonder what it will be????

~Wendy & Wally

My main concern would be the rest of the island since they are biking all around it.

I tend to agree with the information that the streets will be blocked for only a short time. I found an interactive map of scheduled street closings and nothing shows up for 10/4

http://gis.nyc.gov/streetclosure/

Computers always making a liar out of me. The bike route is shown in blue. The website says it may be closed for a short time.

I spoke with that girl last Thursday and she was nice and almost helpful but

after a couple of minutes trying to find it on her computer she said she was too busy and I should check out NYC.GOV the week before the cruise.

Its on the nyc.gov for 10/4, from 7:30am -12:30pm under events - its doesn't say what side of the highway is going to closed, just says 'West side highway between west 46th street and west 54th Street".

I want to give benefit of the doubt and wishful thinking that closure and traffic will not be bad. But racing and runs in the city have been getting more popular and crowded especially last year and well, better to safe than sorry / early than late - just leave yourself plenty of time to get to the pier.

Its on the nyc.gov for 10/4, from 7:30am -12:30pm under events - its doesn't say what side of the highway is going to closed, just says 'West side highway between west 46th street and west 54th Street".

I want to give benefit of the doubt and wishful thinking that closure and traffic will not be bad. But racing and runs in the city have been getting more popular and crowded especially last year and well, better to safe than sorry / early than late - just leave yourself plenty of time to get to the pier.

I was smart. After hubby heard about Bike MS last Thursday, I booked a room at a Marriott for Saturday and ordered a car to pick us up at 10:30 on Sunday.

Totally stress free here!! :D

As I stated earlier I've driven to the pier on that day in the past and didn't encounter a significant problem. Another person on our roll call has also cruised on the day of that race and didn't experience a major traffic issue around the pier.

This event is not on the order of magnitude of the 5 borough bike race or the marathon. The street closures are brief.

If you're coming in from NJ you don't want to take the GW Bridge because the West Side Highway will be closed. Take the Lincoln Tunnel instead.

That's not wishful thinking...it's from firsthand experience.

Edited by njhorseman

As I stated earlier I've driven to the pier on that day in the past and didn't encounter a significant problem. Another person on our roll call has also cruised on the day of that race and didn't experience a major traffic issue around the pier.

This event is not on the order of magnitude of the 5 borough bike race or the marathon. The street closures are brief.

If you're coming in from NJ you don't want to take the GW Bridge because the West Side Highway will be closed. Take the Lincoln Tunnel instead.

That's not wishful thinking...it's from firsthand experience.

People have to also take into consideration that the Holland Tunnel is closed, right? :confused: If so, more traffic at the Lincoln.

Also, you never know how many bikers there will be year to year and any major problems it might cause.