Fantasy to Mobile and getting 2.0 upgrades.

Staceman225

They might as well start painting big lips on the front of the fantasy class ships like Aida does, because the phrase 'you can put lipstick on a pig', but it's still a fantasy class ship comes to mind.

Carnival is the only major line continuing to put money into a 25 year old class of ships which are so far apart from their contemporary counterparts. A burger joint, tacos and a few new bars will not change that.

In this case it's serving a new market, well really resuming serving a market they used to... So that's good. But really, at some point they need to start thinking about moving on.

They might as well start painting big lips on the front of the fantasy class ships like Aida does, because the phrase 'you can put lipstick on a pig', but it's still a fantasy class ship comes to mind.

Carnival is the only major line continuing to put money into a 25 year old class of ships which are so far apart from their contemporary counterparts. A burger joint, tacos and a few new bars will not change that.

In this case it's serving a new market, well really resuming serving a market they used to... So that's good. But really, at some point they need to start thinking about moving on.

That is not true. Royal Caribbean is doing the same thing with their oldest ship Majesty of the seas.

But really, at some point they need to start thinking about moving on.

Keep in mind that Carnival's strategy is vastly different than other major cruise lines. They want to provide cheap and convenient, and that's exactly what Mobile will be providing cruisers in this region.

I started toying around with mock bookings for the kids' 2017 Spring Break. The rates for the Fantasy out of Mobile are so ridiculously low, (at least compared to what other cruise lines have posted for that week), that I almost whipped out my credit card and booked it.

As long as Carnival keeps Fantasy class ships deployed in cities where they don't have any direct competition, and they keep charging these cheap rates, they'll get away with it. Otherwise they'll need to come up with a different strategy, but so far, it seems to be working for them!

Edited by Tapi

How do you like the fantasy class, are they well maintained, or would you just stay away from them?

I don't mind the Fantasy class ships except for the eyesore, tacky 90's Vegas decor. The layout is easy to navigate, cabins are adequate, and they deliver enough to keep you entertained on a short cruise.

If other choices are available, I would probably shy away from the fantasy class. But if it's the cheapest and most convenient option out there, I would definitely be inclined to give them a shot, as long as I go with adjusted and realistic expectations.

The Fantasy class ships are charming. We love the retro look and the small size. The crew and officers are very friendly. Enjoy every cruise, all the ships we've sailed, but the Fantasy class ships feel so cozy! :)

I totally agree. I love the decor and hope they don't change it much in the public areas when adding the new features. The cabins do need a complete refresh IMO.

Anyway, we're booked for the first cruise Nov.9 2016! My guess is that the City of Mobile will have a lot of hoopla going on that day to welcome Carnival back and see the ship off to her maiden voyage. We disembark the Vista in NYC on Nov.3 and will have to hurry home, do the laundry, repack, and head for Mobile asap! It's a tough life, but.... ;-D

Yay for Mobile getting a ship back!!! I will be looking to sail on the Fantasy next since she will have the 2.0 upgrades. I feel Tapi is spot on why it makes sense to put a ship in Mobile.

I also feel that Carnival is thinking towards the future in the fact that Cuba will open up and having a ship out of NOLA would fit those cruises better due to the ease of flying in and out of NOLA. With the Dream doing Western Carribean and Triumph going to Cuba makes a lot of sense.

Edited by VolzCruiser

I'm so pleased that Carnival is coming back to Mobile! We sailed out of there about 10 years ago, and had a great cruise. Sure the ship was older and smaller, but the crew was fantastic.

Also, the logistics of driving to and parking at the port were very simple. I expect that this will be one of Carnival's more profitable itineraries. There's a lot of folks like us (families) between New Orleans and Atlanta, that will take this cruise because it is so convenient.

We have a cruise booked for December out of Port Canaveral, but this is almost an 8 hour drive for us. Mobile will cut that drive time in half!

While I am happy for Mobile and think its great that Fantasy is being upgraded, I thought that at least part of the reason Carnival left Mobile was due to low profitability. I read numerous articles and threads on CC stating that those cruises had to be deeply discounted in order to fill the ship that it did not make financial sense to stay. Wonder what they believe is different now?

While I am happy for Mobile and think its great that Fantasy is being upgraded, I thought that at least part of the reason Carnival left Mobile was due to low profitability. I read numerous articles and threads on CC stating that those cruises had to be deeply discounted in order to fill the ship that it did not make financial sense to stay. Wonder what they believe is different now?

The Cruises will probably still be discounted, I think the real reason is that they Mobile is that they could go to a different homeport and make more. Now that Carnival has some new ship new ships they can move one back to Mobile.

...I thought that at least part of the reason Carnival left Mobile was due to low profitability. I read numerous articles and threads on CC stating that those cruises had to be deeply discounted in order to fill the ship that it did not make financial sense to stay. Wonder what they believe is different now?

I don't think that was the real story. The ship wasn't generating low profits. I think it was a political decision. Carnival saw a bigger gold mine in Charleston and Mobile was the logical sacrificial lamb since they were dumb enough not to sign a long term contract with Carnival, making it easy to pull a ship from there.

I was reading one of the news articles in a local newspaper that included a timeline of Carnival's presence in Mobile. Very interesting, from the handful of initial "test" sailings that sold out within hours in the early 2000's, to the redeployment of the Holiday during Katrina, to the abrupt announcement to leave Mobile. But the one thing that caught my attention was that just months before Carnival pulled the plug, Mobile was recognized for its record breaking bookings by the cruise line, and local travel agents were also strategizing with Carnival BDM's for the upcoming season. It doesn't seem like profits was the problem based on that.

Edited by Tapi

I don't think that was the real story. The ship wasn't generating low profits. I think it was a political decision. Carnival saw a bigger gold mine in Charleston and Mobile was the logical sacrificial lamb since they were dumb enough not to sign a long term contract with Carnival, making it easy to pull a ship from there.

Small ports don't really get to dictate to Cruise lines. Isn't the current deal just a one year deal?

From Mobile's perspective one year of port revenue is better than an empty terminal.

If Mobile was such a huge cash cow, another cruise line would have moved a ship there. Wishing the best for Mobile, but let's not act like it's some amazing port that cruise lines are fighting to sail from .

Edited by DaytonCruiser

ship is well maintained, and yes plain compared to the dream or liberty which we have also sailed on....

but, we did do the rare 6 and 7 day cruise on it out of Charleston, we have also been on sensation a couple times and fascination a ton!

what I'd wonder is, will Fantasy get balcony cabins?

it has some funship upgrades in that they took the old forward waterslide out and did the waterpark and putt putt thing, funship 1.0 I guess

anyway, Carnival has been in a extended court deal with Charleston for years trying to get approvals for a new cruise terminal there, so upgrading the ship a tic in Charleston, though downgrading the F out of jax is an interesting twist, I guess so many have sailed these two ships, Carnival didn't see a swapping of them as viable, but bringing the two E's in might fool some of the people some of the time!

Looking forward to a big ship in Charleston at some point, or even competition again with maybe an NCL or RCI ship there or in jax....:)

I was reading one of the news articles in a local newspaper that included a timeline of Carnival's presence in Mobile. Very interesting, from the handful of initial "test" sailings that sold out within hours in the early 2000's, to the redeployment of the Holiday during Katrina, to the abrupt announcement to leave Mobile. But the one thing that caught my attention was that just months before Carnival pulled the plug, Mobile was recognized for its record breaking bookings by the cruise line, and local travel agents were also strategizing with Carnival BDM's for the upcoming season. It doesn't seem like profits was the problem based on that.

Charleston is a gold mine that neither Carnival and the city of Charleston is taking advantage of.

cruise out of Baltimore on the GALAXY!

neato town

we have spent a weekend there one time since, and sailed OUT of there staying a day or two before a cruise 4 times, two on the Majesty when she was there and twice on the fantasy

Id love that 10 day cruise on the sunshine next spring but its way way expensive!

new terminal, bigger ship, maybe even two ships? one for 4 and 5 day, one for 7 day's now that would be the TICKET! :rolleyes:

So happy to see this with reduced deposits on right now. Almost booked yesterday on the Triumph for Christmas 2016. Glad I waited because today booked Fantasy with same itinerary but better dates. Cost only about $200 more for 4 of us but from what people are saying here I might get some ES Price drops lol.:)