Having trouble - car rental FLL to port and back

goodml

I know this has been discussed before but I'm having a bit of trouble figuring it out. We're flying into FLL but sailing out of Miami. When we did this before we used Budget and dropped off at the Sheraton Biscayne Bay which I'm told doesn't exist anymore.

If I understand what I've read here before, if I rent from Thrifty or Alamo at FLL, I can drop off at Miami airport and they have shuttles that will take us to the pier. But what happens for the return. Do I choose the Miami Airport location for pickup? Do the shuttles run to the port that early to pick people up. The reason I'm confused is that I notice that both Alamo and Thrifty have port locations for pick up but the cost is $20-$30 more to rent from there than from the airport. I'm assuming we probably have to choose the port location but can anyone with experience tell me how this works?

Thanks in advance.

ANytime you rent a car in one place and drop it off at another--that will cost you more then if renting and returning it to the same place.

I know alamo has shuttle services. I am not sure about Thrifty- No pier drop offs no longer-- you need to drop it off at a different location and use the shuttle sservices.

ANytime you rent a car in one place and drop it off at another--that will cost you more then if renting and returning it to the same place.

Not in Florida... There are no drop fees for rental cars in Florida so you can easily pick one up in Miami or Fort Lauderdale and return to the other location without being charged more.

Many of the major rental car companies will pick you up at the Port of Miami and shuttle you to the airport. I don't know how early the shuttles start, but I've seen them coming and going as the bulk of passengers are coming off.

I would probably call the companies and tell them you want to be picked up at the port and make the reservation that way, but if it's $20-30 more for port pickup, keep in mind that cab fare from the port to MIA is fixed at $21. It may be cheaper, and a lot faster/easier, to just take a cab to the airport.

If my memory serves me correct, I believe there is an Avis car rental at the port of Miami.

Not any longer, that closed after 9/11... There are no rental car companies actually AT the port. They shuttle you to the airport.

Thanks for the info Trent. I've taken advantage of the different drop-off for no fee thing in Florida many times before. That's a great bonus. My confusion is coming from the fact that both Thrifty and Alamo have what they're listing as port offices (not actually in the port) for pick up only so I wasn't sure if they will only shuttle you to those spots rather than to the airport. The customer service reps at the 800 #'s don't seem to have the info so I will call the airport locations myself tomorrow (when I can call from work at 2 cents a minute. :) ) I'll post what I find out.

• 2 weeks later...

I rented through Dollar in FLL with a drop off in MIAMI. (no surcharge) They will shuttle me to the cruiseport when I leave the car and the shuttle makes regular passes through the port for a return to the airport.:)

Sorry, I posted this on another thread but forgot to come back and post it here. After what gemini posted I'll have to call Dollar too.

Here's what I found out this week from calling the Miami airport locations for Alamo, Thrifty and Budget trying to do the same thing this December. We can pick up at FLL and drop off at MIA with Alamo and Thrifty and they will shuttle us to the pier for no extra charge. The fee for my dates for the lowest price car is $25.42 plus tax (this from the website reservation system) for a total of $35 and change. Budget will not shuttle to the port "for security reasons."

The return, however, does not work the same. Both Alamo and Thrifty have a location near the port that is for "pick up only". When you make your reservation for the return you MUST choose the port location as the pick up point even though when they come to pick you up they actually take you to the airport. Alamo told me their shuttles only run on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays but they do run about every half hour on those days to pick people up at the pier. For Thrifty, you have to call for pick up and they will send a shuttle. Now the thing is, because you have to choose the port location for pick up the fee goes up quite a bit. My $35 rental becomes just over $60 including all taxes for the return trip.

I'm actually thinking that we'll taxi back to MIA for the $21 fee and then pick up the $35 car there on the return trip. Not to save the 5 or 6 bucks but more so that I can just hail a taxi rather than waiting for a shuttle to fight it's way thru to get to us in all that craziness that is the Port of Miami when cruise ships are letting out. Hope this helps.

Though this is a little late I will try to explain our experience with arriving in FLL and sailing from MIA. We rented from Alamo and had no trouble picking up the car there and loved having the flexibility in Miami. We went down to the Everglades (Flamingo in Feb was wonderful!).

Our trouble began as soon as we dropped off the car at the airport. Our TA informed us when we reserved our car that though the drop off is at the airport they need you to book the Port drop off so that they know how many people will be needing a shuttle so they can plan for enough shuttle busses. Apparently not everyone knew this/or booked this way and we waited in line for over an hour for a shuttle bus which when it finally came was not nearly enough to handle all of us waiting. It was not nice.

The same thing happened on the way back. Though we had booked for a Port pick up we waited at the port for over an hour while Dollar, Thrifty, and Hertz shuttles came and left every 10-15 mins. Again, when a shuttle finally stopped there was no way it could accomodate all of us waiting. I have no idea how long it took for those who didn't get on the first shuttle.

I fully agree with the poster who decided to take a taxi to the airport. There was NO waiting for taxis, there was no crush of people, and if Alamo is now charging an additional amount for a Port pick up (they weren't last Feb) then there is no incentive to take the shuttle. I had already decided we would take a taxi next time (or book with Hertz who had a downtown office which was much closer to the port)

Su

I'm also looking to get a rental car after my cruise. Here is what I'm doing which is the same thing as the OP.

Taking a taxi to MIA as if I'm flying out that day, I will tell taxi driver to please drop us close to rental cars if he can, if not then we will walk to it. When getting to MIA going to Thrifty rental car location and picking up the rental car I have reserved. I will drop the car off in West Paml Beach later the same day.

It should not matter to Thrifty if I just landed from a plane ride or rode in a taxi right? I am paying the taxi cost back to the airport. $21 fixed rate.

I'm sure alot of people do not even know there is a pick up only spot for when your done with your cruise. I would have not known if I did not see it on these boards.

Thanks,

Lori

I had this same problem, just when I had my whole routine down of dropping off and picking up at the Sheraton, they closed the location!! After much research, this is what we are doing. . . Getting off the ship and taking a taxi to the Thrifty rental on Collins Ave. It is about 6 miles from the port. We will get our car there and are heading up to Orlando for the week and will drop it off there. I didn't want to deal with shuttles to the airport for a rental car. Have had bad experiences with this and did not want to spend hours just to pick up a rental car. Hope this helps. The address is 1520 Collins Ave, Miami Beach.

• 4 weeks later...

Glad I found this thread!

We just booked a rental car from Thrifty for before and after our cruise from Miami. We are flying into FLL the day before we cruise and staying in FLL. We are picking up my stepson in West Palm so absolutely had to get a rental. The next morning we are driving to the airport in Miami and taking the shuttle to the port. Should we notify Thrifty in advance that we need a shuttle to the port since we are not flying out??

We then booked a rental for our return. We chose the pick up at port and then we are driving my stepson home and then to FLL airport.

Is this going to work? There will be 5 of us so we even booked a van! Thrifty had the best rates by far!!

Thanks for your help!

Two years ago Thrifty had the "best rates" for us too.

Unfortunately, when we got to FLL the bussed us to their lot...we waited in line only to find out that there were NO cars available through them.

We were NOT happy campers. DH refuses to rent from them again.

Here's what I am doing- not sure if it will apply to anyone else- we are not flying out the day we return from the cruise( cheaper flights on Mon.) so I am planning on taking the Everglades tour/ Mia airport dropoff as offered on Carniva'ls Website- even though we fly out of FLL-after the tour we will arrive at Mia, rent a car and drive it to the Sheraton at FLL where we will spend the night!($50.via Priceline) so if you have a later flight on the day you return, check out the shore excursion in Miami that offer a dropoff at the airport! The rates for the rental are around $30. Good luck to all! Holly

Here's what I am doing- not sure if it will apply to anyone else- we are not flying out the day we return from the cruise( cheaper flights on Mon.) so I am planning on taking the Everglades tour/ Mia airport dropoff as offered on Carniva'ls Website- even though we fly out of FLL-after the tour we will arrive at Mia, rent a car and drive it to the Sheraton at FLL where we will spend the night!($50.via Priceline) so if you have a later flight on the day you return, check out the shore excursion in Miami that offer a dropoff at the airport! The rates for the rental are around $30. Good luck to all! Holly

Great plan, the Everglades tour is a lot of fun. Having the car will afford you some great opportunities to explore and experience FLL. ;)

I have done (3/04) this. Budget, National and Dollar DO NOT shuttle from the airport to the pier. alamo, Thrifty, Avis and Hertz do. .They also have shuttles waiting at debarcation to take pzx to their MIA location for post cruise car pick up. NOTE: Ther is NO drop off charge from/to ANY FL location.

I am renting from Alamo again this year. The entertainment book got me a GREAT rate. I have a midsize for 3 days for >$80 TOTAL inc taxes & fees.

I have a question regarding Hertz in Miami. I understand that they have a downtown Miami location which is close to the port - maybe 10 mins., whereas no one else does. The others are all at the airport - right? Hertz will shuttle you from their downtown location to the pier when you return the car, and also pick you up when your cruise returns and rent another car. You have to call them from the pier to come and get you. Is this correct?

Although the rental from that location may be more expensive, I just don't want to waste the time going all the way to the airport and being shuttled from there. Can anyone comment on this? Has anyone actually used this arrangement recently?

Taking a taxi to MIA as if I'm flying out that day, I will tell taxi driver to please drop us close to rental cars if he can, if not then we will walk to it. It should not matter to Thrifty if I just landed from a plane ride or rode in a taxi right? Thanks,Lori

If the taxi won't drop you at the rental car lot have him take you to the arrivals and get on the shuttle from there to the lot like everyone else - they don't care.

Archived