the Port of Toulon / La Seyne-sur-mer

minikiss

Our cruise stated that our last port of call was Toulon but in fact we docked as many have said at La Seyne-sur–mer.

Knowing this in advance I went searching for what was there “other than” going to Toulon!

What I found was good information to suggest it was worth just getting off and just going to the town it’s self and that we didn’t need to go any further afield.

We were so glad we did as after speaking to a few that paid for the way over priced water shuttle to Toulon, there was not a lot there anyway.

When I saw the price of the W.S. $29 each we said forget that, a couple we meet ordered said tickets and at the last moment tried to cancel. They were just 1 pair that said they wished they hadn’t bothered.

So here’s how our day panned out.

On getting off the ship we headed inside a small information hut and picked up a map, we got 2 different ones and they were very well detailed.

We then started to walk out of the port, just the other side of where the Ships Shuttle goes from there was a guy doing bike hire. However we did not do it ourselves but when we returned it looked like they had been popular as quite a few had been hired out. One couple we had met did and they said they got as far as Toulon and again wished they had stayed closer to the ship.

We tend to walk at a steady pace and we made it easily in less than 20 mins to the main town area.

Before we got there we walked through a local second hand market that had lots of interesting stuff for sale.

We walked a little further and on looking up a street we saw a nice looking little church – Leglise Notre Dame de Bon voyage.

As we looked left we could see an open food market in full swing. The map referred to it as the Provencal food market. It was full of fresh fruit and veg a real local market place. The map say there is an indoor market to but we never found that. Having said that I don’t know if it would have been open as it was a Sunday and most of the normal shops were closed.

On leaving the stalls behind us we turned right and headed back towards the port, it surprised us just how far we had walked, but it wasn’t long before we had the water in front of us again.

From there we got a good look over the marina and a nice view of the ship.

It was here we found the main stop for the local shuttle that goes to Toulon and I might add a lot cheaper 2euro each way. See I said it was way cheaper. The info I found said they go every 30 mins and it takes about 20 mins.

I will add we did not use it ourselves. There is also a stop a bit closer to the cruise terminal called Espace Marine.

On the whole we were pleasantly surprised by the place and felt it had not been recognised enough and it’s that reason I felt I had to write about it.

We took a slightly different route back to the shop, through the Le parc de le Navale and it still took us around to 20 mins to be back by the ship.

The couple that hired the bikes told us that if they were ever there again they would go left out the port as there are some nice beach area’s out that way.

I took some pictures of which I’ll up load shortly.

I do hope this helps others as for us it made for a nice change to the rush rush rush of the busy ports and tours we had taken.

So don’t take what the cruise lines say to be the only option for the day go out and see what is right on the doorstep so to speak.

Jules

Thanks for the information. It belongs here as lots of Princess ships stop there and it is good information to know. Two years ago we were at this port but did an incredible private tour to Province and a few other towns. It was one of our best stops. Beautiful countryside.

I agree taking a boat over to Toulon would not be worth it.

Would this be better posted in the France port forum versus Princess because it's about a port and not Princess?

I posted it on here because I know a lot of people were asking about the port. I did also post on the French ports to.

once I've check out my photos I'll post a couple here to.

The sail out from Toulon was the best ever on our grand med. It was a Sat and everyone was out on the water. We ended up on a Princess Aix DIY/self tour just for the transportation. Aix was really fun esp on a Sat with the markets open. If I ever ended up back there, would prob see some of the coastal towns in the area