American Somoa - documents required

mheinrich

Since he is not a US citizen, he would need a passport to travel in and out of the USA... or a legal resident document. but I wouldn't rely on advice given here - we are all just cruisers.

What documents did he need to enter the US?

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/american-samoans-dont-right-u-s-citizenship-court-rules/

Have ya actually CALLED Royal Caribbean? 5 phone calls, 5 different answers. Was hoping I could find someone here who actually did it and had personal experience of it. There's no information on the website and I don't trust the answers I'm getting from them because I've gotten birth certificate and passport is fine, absolutely needs a passport, I don't know, let me check....mysteriously disconnects.

If the person is a US citizen, they can cruise on a government issued photo ID and either a certified birth certificate or original naturalization certificate.

This is for the round trip cruise out of FLL.

Have ya actually CALLED Royal Caribbean? 5 phone calls, 5 different answers. Was hoping I could find someone here who actually did it and had personal experience of it. There's no information on the website and I don't trust the answers I'm getting from them because I've gotten birth certificate and passport is fine, absolutely needs a passport, I don't know, let me check....mysteriously disconnects.

I don't know the answer but I feel your pain with calling RC. Good luck and if you do get an answer, please report it here so others can benefit. Enjoy your cruise!:D

American Samoa is one of the <states> with non-compliant driver's licenses. Otherwise, all they would need is a driver's license and certified birth certificate.

I believe the article said that a passport or passport card would be required instead, but I could be wrong. Plus, I don't remember when the change begins. American Samoa is a US Territorial island just like Guam or PR.

Article link: http://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/Homeland-Security-Issues-New-ID-Requirements-for-New-Yorkersand-Thousands-of-OthersHeading-to-the-Airport

Edited by Coralc

Does anyone know what type of travel documents are needed for an American Somoa who does not have a passport? It would be a Caribbean cruise round trip FLL. Thanks in advance!

Important to note that not all citizens /residents of American Somoa are actually US Citizens.

According to the website for US Customs and Boarder Patrol. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/980/~/needing-a-passport-to-enter-the-united-states-from-u.s.-territories

Will travelers from U.S. territories need to present a passport to enter the United States?

U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR's) who travel directly between parts of the United States, which includes Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), without touching at a foreign port or place, are not required to present a valid U.S. Passport or U.S. Green Card.

Entry requirements for non-U.S. citizens are the same as for entering the United States from any foreign destination. Upon departure, a passport is required for all but U.S. citizens.