Surrendering Passport

sexycpl613

The ship clears immigration. The individual passengers do not. It is easier for the crew to collect all passports than just a few nationalities. Whether or not your Passport is collected depends upon the port authorities. Giving the cabin steward grief accomplishes nothing. I don't like giving mine up any more than you. But, meh.

The ship clears immigration. The individual passengers do not. It is easier for the crew to collect all passports than just a few nationalities. Whether or not your Passport is collected depends upon the port authorities. Giving the cabin steward grief accomplishes nothing. I don't like giving mine up any more than you. But, meh.

Did I miss an edited comment? I didn't read anything about the stewards in the posts above. :confused:

We are USA citizens. We sometimes have to surrender our passports on Mediterranean cruises. In those situations, they've kept our passports when we checkin at the port. (Room stewards haven't been involved.). Near the end of the cruise, we are assigned a time and place to pick them up.

We're Canadian and on all 3 Carnival cruises to the Caribbean we've been on, we had to surrender our passports to Carnival and get them back at the end of the cruise.

Is this still being done?

We only did that our first couple cruises way back when we first started cruising. Not now, they go in the safe and stay there till the cruise is over.

Edited by hockeyluver

We're Canadian and on all 3 Carnival cruises to the Caribbean we've been on, we had to surrender our passports to Carnival and get them back at the end of the cruise.

Is this still being done?

]

We are from London Ontario and have gone on 9 cruises from 2010 and no passports have been taken from us.

Edited by Halya50

As a canadian the only time I had to hand my passport over was for a couple of days on a transatlantic cruise - and you handed it in at the purser's desk yourself and got a 'receipt' for it - which you used to pick it up afterwards....

Edited by Froufie

Last year on the legend's transpacific everyone including the us citizens had to surrender their passports upon check in. We got a receipt and then they were returned the last day. Carnival made arrangements with the Australian govt to have the immigration authorities fly in the day before disembarkation to process all.

Out of maybe 20 cruises that was the only time I had to surrender my passport.

• 2 weeks later...

We are Canadian. Never had to surrender our passports in the Caribbean; however we did have to surrender them to Princess in 2013 on a South American cruise and this past May on Crystal in Miami until we were close to Rome. In both cases, the process took place at check-in. We were provided with a receipt and collected them as per the information provided. It had nothing to do with the room stewards.

Edited by Cancun01

Last year on the legend's transpacific everyone including the us citizens had to surrender their passports upon check in. We got a receipt and then they were returned the last day. Carnival made arrangements with the Australian govt to have the immigration authorities fly in the day before disembarkation to process all.

Out of maybe 20 cruises that was the only time I had to surrender my passport.

What do you use to get back on the ship? I always take my passport with me when in ports.

What do you use to get back on the ship? I always take my passport with me when in ports.

I always carry mine in the ports. What happens if you miss the ship or something happens when your in that country! You would be stuck in a foreign country without a passport. It is much much harder to get home, or even into and embassy without it!