Port Klang help

MrsWaldo

On the festive cruise we have a stop in Port Klang.

I've been reading and searching and trying to work out the best way to attack the day.

The ship offers the $69pp transfer into the shopping centre at an appointed time, but that locks us into being there for the day until the coach returns.

I doubt we really want to spend that long in the city itself. Probably only want to do the twin towers...

I'm not interested in Batu Caves etc, nor do I want to shop, nor do I want to eat in hawker stalls etc.

I read on another thread that there was a free shuttle (but that was in 2006).

I am looking at drivers... This gives us flexibility.

So what do you guys suggest?

Any thoughts, suggestions....

We were in Port Klang last December on the Wind, nothing to do their at all, we took the shuttle to local shopping centre and came directly back on the next one, nothing there you would want to look at or buy!!

As to going to Kuala Lumpur the best bet, by far, is car and driver then you can make your own time, see the twin towers, have Lunch at The Mandarin Oriental and then return to the ship is my advice.

Mrs W,

I don't know the port but know KL.

as you'd expect of me, KL to me is all about street food, but this isn't every sophisticated ladies idea of fun. I wouldn't put it as high as Singapore, but if you are a foody then the best food in KL is the street food, not the restaurant food or hotel food - it's hawker food and food hall food abd street food. It is fun getting to know the locals by eating alongside them.

There is lot's of stuff and apps that give really good pointers.

There does appear to be some decent looking food places in Port Klang itself .... and I'd be tempted to install myself in one or two of those for an hour or three and simply demand they bring me food. I think an aimless wander and some food might be my diversion.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Thanks both of you,

LOL, Jeff, Miss W was yes we are doing hawker food mum! I thought we'd be hawkered out after 3 days in Sing :rolleyes:

So I found a driver after much internet research. He's not cheap, $10pp more than SS is charging for the shuttle BUT we have him for the day and so we have flexibility.

Fingers crossed it all works out :)

Miss W, sounds very astute and good company. :)

Obviously you will read and study but I'd have a look at Jalan Alor which is a food street. and means tou can get a good range in one place.

I see there are some government warnings for several KL areas so best to check before you go.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Miss W, sounds very astute and good company. :)

Obviously you will read and study but I'd have a look at Jalan Alor which is a food street. and means tou can get a good range in one place.

I see there are some government warnings for several KL areas so best to check before you go.

Jeff

She is....I've trained her a little too well on the food front.

Thanks for the street tip....Jalan Alor rings a bell from when Mr W used to work in KL on a too regular basis. Mostly he'd be staying in Sing and commute between there, JB and KL.

The warnings were headlines here a few days ago, "Attack on Tourists planned in Malaysia" References were made to Bali. Ironically...

>>On 24 September, the US government issued a warning for its citizens to avoid Kuala Lumpur's Jalan Alor (Alor Street) and the immediate surrounding areas on 24 September due to a potential threat.<<<

• 1 month later...