Anyone ever had a suprise upgrade at pier?

cs

CS:

Keep us posted on the upsell situation.

We are in the same situation - lots of suites left and no word from NCL - and our cruise isn't until the end of November. No one has been able to figure out NCL's method - I don't even think NCL knows...

I've read here to just be nice when you call.

Have your daily calls worked? We notified them that we are definitely interested and were told nicely "don't call us - we'll call you." You would think that they'd be interested in making more money, especially from folks who'd be willing to fork it out....GOOD LUCK!!!

I sailed on NCL this past Dec. and when we got to the peir we where upgraded at check-in. We had an inside and we were upgraded to a large window. It was our tenth anniversity. So yes you can be upgraded at the peir. Good luck. We have been upgraded on several of our other cruises also but they were different cruiselines.

A pier upgrade is when your docs say a different cabin than you get when you check-in at the pier. In other words, it's a last minute free upgrade that is a wonderful surprise. Since NCL fills their higher end cabins thru the upsell desk, it's highly unlikely you will score one of these at the last minute. Happy Sailing!

What is the upsell desk?

NCL's upsell desk contacts you or your TA when they want to offer an upgrade for a nominal cost. It use to be that you could call them and negotiate your own deal but they changed the rules earlier this year and now require that they initiate the call. The ph# has been passed around on this board so pax still call and try to grab a deal but are usually told the 'don't call us, we will call you' story. Also, if booked thru a TA, they will only talk to them when offering a deal. Happy Sailing!

Just curious if anyone's ever been surprised with an upgrade on the day of sailing? If so, what kind of upgrade (from interior to interior, etc.)?

Yes, we were upgraded on Celebrity Constellation from a 1B to a Royal Suite two years ago on a Mediterranean cruise. We have not been as lucky on the two recent cruises we just completed on the same ship. Don't know why we were upgraded as this was our first cruise on Celebrity but as you can see it has not been out last. The upgrades we have received on prior cruises have only been one step in the category.

We have had a one category upgrade on several cruises but our never to be forgotten upgrade happened 2 years ago. We were upgraded from a category 1B on Celebrity Constellation to a Royal Suite. This was about a 4 category upgrade and we were delighted. This was our first cruise with Celebrity, since then we have taken two additional cruises on the Constellation but alas no upgrade!!! We still love the ship even without the upgrade.

sailed on ncl sun last year --- booked inside --- was upgraded at pier to balcony suite --- did not ask for upgrade or contact upsell desk --- but if you are thinking about any kind of upgrade on the ncl jewel --- you can forget it --- all cruises to new england/canada have been sold out for 6 months --- not sure about the other sailings after that

gary

CS:

Keep us posted on the upsell situation.

We are in the same situation - lots of suites left and no word from NCL - and our cruise isn't until the end of November. No one has been able to figure out NCL's method - I don't even think NCL knows...

I've read here to just be nice when you call.

Have your daily calls worked? We notified them that we are definitely interested and were told nicely "don't call us - we'll call you." You would think that they'd be interested in making more money, especially from folks who'd be willing to fork it out....GOOD LUCK!!!

Still no upsell - boo hoo! Obviously my daily calls haven't gotten me anywhere. They still have the same suites available. Guess they're gonna wait until the very last minute to upsell???

I was offered an upgrade last week for my cruise, it was withdrawn by NCL due to their rule that solo cruisers do not qualify for upgrades and they have given me a cabin account credit. This was fine by me as I was quite satisfied with my cabin allocation. However my TA has told me that I might be surprised when I get to the pier at Valparaiso. I shall not build up any hopes as, like I said, I am quite happy with my cabin...infact more than happy that I am even going on a ship over Christmas/New Year.

unless it is a holiday sailing that sign really means nothing, it is to keep everyone from asking.

We have gotten them many times, all you have to do is be nice, kiss some bu** and you never know

this is not so, we tried on Carnival one time; indeed it was sold out and it was the first week in Dec, one of the slowest there is. Our last cruise on NCL we did not try, but the ship was sold out with the exception of a couple of inside cabins. Actually the lines prefer you ask as they normally will accommodate you with an upgrade at an increased price and lines prefer to have the upper decks full. That is why when ships are not sold out those who opt for a guaranteed catagory quite often get upgraded. NMnita

It's still too early - most upsells happen in the last 2 weeks before sail date. Happy Sailing!

Only 9 days before sailing now - they're still showing the same suites they were a week ago. And they're still not upselling.

My husband and I were upgraded at the pier when when cruised with NCL. We cruised aboard the Dream six months ago and received our wonderful surprise when we checked in. The cabin number that we were told did not match our cruise docs, so we were pretty confused. When we walked into our room, I actually cried! We'd been upgraded from an inside cat JJ cabin to a balcony cat BA. It was awesome!!!:)

We need a handicapped cabin. My husband needs a wheelchair to be able to get around. We were on a cruise and decided to book our next cruise while we were there. Same ship (Sea) different ports. Since there are not that many hc cabins we thought this was a good idea. We got ship board credit, and a free up-grade. Completly for got about the up-grade. We get our doc's no problem, they show the cabin we booked. We get to the pier, check in that we are in our cabin and we are told we are up-graded. I say, unless you put in more hc cabins we will not be able to use the cabin. Well to our surprise what a nice cabin we ended up in, the wheelchair fit in just fine. The cabin was bigger then the hc cabin, and the location was great. We have been asked as we are ready to leave up to a day or two before, Would you like a suite ! ! ! 21 cruises and still like to cruise

We have been asked as we are ready to leave up to a day or two before, Would you like a suite ! ! !

If you don't mind me asking, did you have to pay for the upgrade to a suite or was it a free upgrade? If you had to pay, was it a fair price?

Last April, on the Dawn, there were 4 couples in our group. 3 of us booked through a discount TA, and 1 booked about 1 month prior to sailing directly through NCL. They were the only ones offered an upsell. Actually...they got 4 or 5 calls...even one the day prior to sailing! Even that was for an "upsell"...not "free upgrade".

We got an upgrade that blew us away. Went

from level 4 small porthole to a level 9

balcony! Completely unexpected. Needless to

say, we have no intention of ever getting

anything but a balcony. This has caused

NLC (and others) to make a lot more money

from us.

Well all of the upgrades make me hopeful. Don't see any logic to who gets it when.

Then again, unless it's to a suite, my inside cabin w/ 200 sq ft may not be worth giving up for a balcony that's smaller if upgrade is offered.

I love the fresh air but w/ three in cabin the extra room is nice.

Still dreamin of that villa - LOL

Archived