Question about scooters

emcelh

We're booked on the Gem leaving NY on 10/10. I've recently injured my knee, which is making walking quite painful right now. We're determined to take this cruise and not cancel (although we have insurance) so I'm considering renting a scooter to use onboard. Has anyone had experience with this? I found a company listed online that provides this service but just wondering how it all works. Do they deliver to the ship, etc.?

Edited by emcelh

You would need to ask the company if they deliver to the ship. I believe NCL has a special needs department you should talk to.

You have to be able to put the scooter in your cabin. They cannot be left in the hallway. Unless you've got a suite, you would need a handicapped cabin. And check the measurements of the scooter you rent to make sure it fits in the door of your cabin.

NCL only uses http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/. Two years ago, the cost was $125 for a 7-day cruise. They will deliver the scooter to your cabin and you just leave it when you disembark. Like Gordonchick said, you will also need to contact special needs department and they will email you a form to be completed and returned.

The 3-wheeled scooter will fit through the doors of a regular cabin, but depending on the size of the cabin, you may be tripping over the scooter.

Edited by pizzalady1

NCL only uses http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/. Two years ago, the cost was $125 for a 7-day cruise. They will deliver the scooter to your cabin and you just leave it when you disembark. Like Gordonchick said, you will also need to contact special needs department and they will email you a form to be completed and returned.

The 3-wheeled scooter will fit through the doors of a regular cabin, but depending on the size of the cabin, you may be tripping over the scooter.

Thanks for the information. That's the website I looked at. The cost would be about $250 for our 10 day cruise. We have an aft penthouse and there would be enough room for the scooter. I'll know in a few days if I'll need go ahead with this so I'll get in touch with special needs at that time.

I traveled with a friend who rented a scooter. I wasn't there for the pickup, but we turned it in at disembarkation, and they took her to the pier in a wheelchair. She had someone to call when it needed service or charging.

We didn't really have room to park it in our Balcony cabin but she could keep it in an alcove in the hallway. If you can arrange for a handicap cabin, you might be able to keep it in the cabin.

Definitely let NCL know you've rented a scooter and they'll let you know about any other access you may have. There are alternate ways to get into the main dining rooms and the theater that aren't always obvious.

We didn't really have room to park it in our Balcony cabin but she could keep it in an alcove in the hallway.

That is a major safety risk and against international SOLAS regulations. Shame on the incompetent staff for allowing that.

"All scooters and MUST be stored in the stateroom. Due to the safety and escape way requirements established by SOLAS regulations, they cannot be stored in the hallways, stairways, or any other public area."

That is a major safety risk and against international SOLAS regulations. Shame on the incompetent staff for allowing that.

"All scooters and MUST be stored in the stateroom. Due to the safety and escape way requirements established by SOLAS regulations, they cannot be stored in the hallways, stairways, or any other public area."

The area they use is under the stairs not in the way of traffic or the stairs. Sort of a parking area.

The area they use is under the stairs not in the way of traffic or the stairs. Sort of a parking area.

Especially unless the scooters are tied down, it does not matter that they are not in the way of traffic, they are still in the corridors that is specifically forbidden. If the ship tilts badly, the scooters can still move and block escape routes - or even worse, hurt people trying to escape.

Edited by Demonyte