Sea glass

iheartbda

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20150928/NEWS/150929752

I'm a bit dumbfounded by this article. About three years ago there was a big discussion by the locals about people taking large amounts and the need to protect their "natural resource". It was after that brouhaha that I saw a sign at the glass beach near Dockyard which I took a picture of and posted here.

Some recent visitors have reported that they saw no such sign. Apparently, now there is no ban on taking the glass. There had also been reports by residents of people taking bucketsful which I always dismissed as hyperbole. The person in this article did not take a few pieces, she took 70 lbs.! She was even invited to come to Bermuda by a Bermudian to collect the glass.:confused:

Sooooo, it seems the moratorium on sea glass is no longer in effect and you can take as much as you want and it's not as precious as some residents felt.:rolleyes:

Silly me, when I saw the sign, I did not take any.

Edited by iheartbda

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20150928/NEWS/150929752

I'm a bit dumbfounded by this article. About three years ago there was a big discussion by the locals about people taking large amounts and the need to protect their "natural resource". It was after that brouhaha that I saw a sign at the glass beach near Dockyard which I took a picture of and posted here.

Some recent visitors have reported that they saw no such sign. Apparently, now there is no ban on taking the glass. There had also been reports by residents of people taking bucketsful which I always dismissed as hyperbole. The person in this article did not take a few pieces, she took 70 lbs.! She was even invited to come to Bermuda by a Bermudian to collect the glass.:confused:

Sooooo, it seems the moratorium on sea glass is no longer in effect and you can take as much as you want and it's not as precious as some residents felt.:rolleyes:

Silly me, when I saw the sign, I did not take any.

She might not have collected it at the beach with the sign. As I understand the prohibition may not be a government ban but is by the owner of that beach property.

Edited by Charles4515

She might not have collected it at the beach with the sign. As I understand the prohibition may not be a government ban but is by the owner of that beach property.

True but what about people saying it was taken from them when they were boarding the ship?

When there was an outcry of it being taken, it seemed like those opposed were talking about any from anywhere. I searched the Royal Gazette but can't find anything when it was in the news and got so heated.

True but what about people saying it was taken from them when they were boarding the ship?

When there was an outcry of it being taken, it seemed like those opposed were talking about any from anywhere. I searched the Royal Gazette but can't find anything when it was in the news and got so heated.

I read about it being taken but who exactly was taking it? Bermuda or the ship?

I suppose that lady might have made a financial arrangement with the folks at that beach that had the sign or otherwise had permission.

Edited by Charles4515

I read about it being taken but who exactly was taking it? Bermuda or the ship?

I don't know but why would the ship feel a need to take it?

I suppose that lady might have made a financial arrangement with the folks at that beach that had the sign or otherwise had permission.

There is no one patrolling that beach so how would anyone know who has a financial arrangement or who has permission? Seems like anyone can take what they want.

I looked at her Facebook page and as someone else pointed out, she is not promoting Bermuda, only her jewelry sales. She has videos posted, one is at the glass beach near Dockyard and she does say that it's not permitted to take it from there. In another video she's at a cove with lots and when someone asked her where it was, she was coy and wouldn't tell. So it looks like she doesn't want anyone else to know where that cove is.

The newspaper article is generating more comments so it may bring out the ones who, before, were so opposed to anyone taking it.:D

Edited by iheartbda

I don't know but why would the ship feel a need to take it?

There is no one patrolling that beach so how would anyone know who has a financial arrangement or who has permission? Seems like anyone can take what they want.

I looked at her Facebook page and as someone else pointed out, she is not promoting Bermuda, only her jewelry sales. She has videos posted, one is at the glass beach near Dockyard and she does say that it's not permitted to take it from there. In another video she's at a cove with lots and when someone asked her where it was, she was coy and wouldn't tell. So it looks like she doesn't want anyone else to know where that cove is.

The newspaper article is generating more comments so it may bring out the ones who, before, were so opposed to anyone taking it.:D

I have not read the comments but it seems odd to me that people would get upset about someone collecting "trash" and or people collecting "trash" and using it co create art. I can't wrap my head around what the objection would be. It's not like they are taking antiquities or robbing graves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have not read the comments but it seems odd to me that people would get upset about someone collecting "trash" and or people collecting "trash" and using it co create art. I can't wrap my head around what the objection would be. It's not like they are taking antiquities or robbing graves.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know, someone even called it a natural resource.:D

It would just be nice if there is a definitive answer as to whether it can be taken or not. People want to know.:)

I know, someone even called it a natural resource.:D

It would just be nice if there is a definitive answer as to whether it can be taken or not. People want to know.:)

I had heard of the seaglass beach before went took a cruise to Bermuda 6 years ago. We took the bus from King's Warf and the kind driver dropped us us off near the building in front of the beach and a lady sitting on the porch actually told us where to go behind her building to get to it. I saw no sign saying not to take any glass and hubby and I brought home 2 1-gal bags. I still take it out and 'play' with it, sort it out and such. I plan to have a friend make me some seaglass jewelry with some of my better pieces. There was sooooooo much glass on the beach when we went, but I have since seen pictures with much less glass. Feeling kinda guilty now....

I had heard of the seaglass beach before went took a cruise to Bermuda 6 years ago. We took the bus from King's Warf and the kind driver dropped us us off near the building in front of the beach and a lady sitting on the porch actually told us where to go behind her building to get to it. I saw no sign saying not to take any glass and hubby and I brought home 2 1-gal bags. I still take it out and 'play' with it, sort it out and such. I plan to have a friend make me some seaglass jewelry with some of my better pieces. There was sooooooo much glass on the beach when we went, but I have since seen pictures with much less glass. Feeling kinda guilty now....

You didn't see a sign 6 years ago because there was no sign then. The sign was posted a year or two ago.

More fuel for the sea glass fire. Apparently they asked the cruise ships to not allow sea glass and sand to be taken from the beaches, but there's nothing in place at the airport to prohibit sea glass to be taken out of the country by air.

http://www.royalgazette.com/article/20150929/NEWS/150929702

I think the lady taking 70 lbs. at once could well end up bringing on more restrictions. It appears greedy. She burned her bridges behind her and made it bad for everyone else.

I think the lady taking 70 lbs. at once could well end up bringing on more restrictions. It appears greedy. She burned her bridges behind her and made it bad for everyone else.

It IS greedy.

She's taking quite a few hits on her FB page and is blocking people almost faster than they post. She also removed 3 videos showing the glass with her commentaries.

My thought on sea glass: yes, it started out as trash but has turned into something now with intrinsic beauty.:)

Edited by iheartbda

It IS greedy.

She's taking quite a few hits on her FB page and is blocking people almost faster than they post. She also removed 3 videos showing the glass with her commentaries.

My thought on sea glass: yes, it started out as trash but has turned into something now with intrinsic beauty.:)

I am not knocking it starting out as trash. It's great that some have the talent to turn trash into beauty. I have seen the glass lying about but I don't take any, not even one, because I don't have that talent and it would remain trash. If I could turn it into beauty I might pick up a few pieces, say a handful. What she did was greedy and rude. I wouldn't see it as evil for people to pick up a few pieces of it but I don't live in Bermuda. 71 lbs is evil.

Edited by Charles4515

• 2 weeks later...

People are still watching her social media accounts.

70 pounds is greedy. She specifically came to take it for her business for which she did not have a Bermuda work permit to do ss and she should have.

She had photos of her on the beach where the sign is saying it is unlawful. In the Erie article she tells people to come to the beach and take as much as they want.

To be honest, most residents don't mind if someone takes a few pieces as a souvenir, but this was way beyond that and then to brag about it was rubbing salt in the wound.

She then mass blocked anyone from Bermuda on commenting on her Facebook page and individually blocked anyone who posted a negative comment on it. She also took down her Pinterest account.

Many locals would like to see her banned from ever being allowed back in Bermuda.