Dinning issue on Getaway

detroitlions

I am traveling with my DW DS and our friends a couple with 2 kids. Last time I did the main dining rooms was a while ago and I was not too impressed. It all seemed like frozen meals kinda like your typical chain restaurants Apple Bees or Chilies.(Which I don't Like.) We are trying to do everything as a group which is always more fun. Our friends have not cruised in a few years and like to do things on the fly and not plan anything. THey only want to do 1 special restaurant I wanted to do at least 3. Any suggestions will be helpful is the food going to be blah and what are your suggestion on things I can order. I like the prime rib and the real new york strip not the strip lion. Any suggestions would be great.

Prime Rib is offered a couple nights during the week in O'Sheehan's, which is an included restaurant, so that's probably where you'd want to go for that and save the specialty dining for something else. People speak highly of it.

Your best bet is to review the specialty restaurants available on your ship and the menus, and discuss with your party. Here, you will merely get 100 different opinions of people who have completely different tastes than each other and than you.

Edited by LrgPizza

Someone told me they had Prime Rib in the Garden Cafe on day 1? I had it at O'Sheehan's and it was great!

I would recommend Cagney's if you like steak. LaCucina was good too.

Yea that is my favorite but like I said I only get one night to do that and the rest is probably the included dining. I don't want to be a jerk and take off on everyone and eat at the steak houses all week.

Like you we weren't impressed with the food in the MDR on any of NCL's ships.

But NCL has greatly improved the quality of the MDR on The Getaway. So much so that that between the MDR, the buffet and O'sheehans we decided not to do a specialty restaurant.

Hope that helps. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by 2ManyCruises

Like you we weren't impressed with the food in the MDR on any of NCL's ships.

But NCL has greatly improved the quality of the MDR on The Getaway. So much so that that between the MDR, the buffet and O'sheehans we decided not to do a specialty restaurant.

I like hearing that. I always liked the MDR on Carnival. If it is close now I would be happy. I just dont like the frozen fish like Talapia, and Flounder. I also did not like the breast of chicken dinners they were blah. I seen some thing I might like on a few menus posted. I do like the steak and lamb dishes.

I am traveling with my DW DS and our friends a couple with 2 kids. Last time I did the main dining rooms was a while ago and I was not too impressed. It all seemed like frozen meals kinda like your typical chain restaurants Apple Bees or Chilies.(Which I don't Like.) We are trying to do everything as a group which is always more fun. Our friends have not cruised in a few years and like to do things on the fly and not plan anything. THey only want to do 1 special restaurant I wanted to do at least 3. Any suggestions will be helpful is the food going to be blah and what are your suggestion on things I can order. I like the prime rib and the real new york strip not the strip lion. Any suggestions would be great.

Food is VERY subjective, but I agree that the meals in the MDR on NCL is among the worst (combination of terribly slow service and mediocre food). Interestingly we think the Buffets are some of the best. The specialties are all very good (except maybe Moderno for low quality meat). There are also some very good specials at O'Sheehans. You should not have a problem finding something delicious every day I just wouldnt expect it to be in the MDR. All that said their is rumored to be changes coming to the MDR menu when the Escape comes out, so if you sail after that perhaps things could turn around. I wouldnt count on it as they havent in the past, but you never know.

6&8

O'Sheehans also has a rib night if that will help you get your fix. Also other than sushi the Asian restaurants are now complimentary.

Rochelle

I do like the pork ribs. Do you know if it is babybacks? I dont like the beef ribs they taste weird like processed. I loved the noodle bar and chineese was good I did that on the EPIC

Sounds like you want different things. If your friends want to go Freestyle doesn't sound like they value planning for group activities or meals as you do. Have the talk and plan based on their reality rather than your hope. Your friendship might see less stress.

Perhaps plan the group specialty for night one, if that goes well perhaps you can add another later in the cruise. In between make yourself happy and book the other Specialty you want. Also if you do Illusionarium that will knockout a "Specialty" group meal.

As for food quality we enjoyed our MDR meals and were especially pleased with the buffet. OSheehan's was a disappointment, but we didn't have prime rib so perhaps that is much better. We sailed the Getaway on August 29th, 2015.

Edited by Nola26

Food is VERY subjective, but I agree that the meals in the MDR on NCL is among the worst (combination of terribly slow service and mediocre food). Interestingly we think the Buffets are some of the best. The specialties are all very good (except maybe Moderno for low quality meat). There are also some very good specials at O'Sheehans. You should not have a problem finding something delicious every day I just wouldnt expect it to be in the MDR. All that said their is rumored to be changes coming to the MDR menu when the Escape comes out, so if you sail after that perhaps things could turn around. I wouldnt count on it as they havent in the past, but you never know.

6&8

I hope its better I am sailing in OCT 17th. I figured a couple Osheahan nights a special restaurant night The other 4 at the dining rooms 1 night I will make sure its prime rib and the other 3 I will cross my fingers or barely eat and fill up at the noodle bar later in the night or wings and pizza. Not what I am used to on a cruise I like scallops, shrimp, prime rib, good steak, lamb chops, lobster, things you dont eat at home all the time. Well I tend to eat good steak and fresh fish at home but you get the point.

Sounds like you want different things. If your friends want to go Freestyle doesn't sound like they value planning for group activities or meals as you do. Have the talk and plan based on their reality rather than your hope. Your friendship might see less stress.

Perhaps plan the group specialty for night one, if that goes well perhaps you can add another later in the cruise. In between make yourself happy and book the other Specialty you want. Also if you do Illusionarium that will knockout a "Specialty" group meal.

As for food quality we enjoyed our MDR meals and were especially pleased with the buffet. OSheehan's was a disappointment, but we didn't have prime rib so perhaps that is much better. We sailed the Getaway on August 29th, 2015.

Yea I did have a talk with them. And I understand they dont believe the specials are worth the extra money exp with 4 of them eating. I always pre pay a package and book the days before I leave and I cant do that now. If they all take off and do what they want half the trip I will not be happy cause I would like to know that ahead of time so I can book a good meal for my family.

If I were you I'd book specialties for the family for the three nights. The specialty restaurants were awesome when we went on the Star. Surprisingly enough our meals in the MDR were not bad at all.

But I'd tell the folks that are traveling with you your schedule for those three nights and have them pick one that they want to join you on.

The other two nights you can join before or after for apps or desserts and then you can all go to a show together. That gives you 5 out of 7 dinners with them.

Certainly not rude and we all know that without planning that its just not going to be all rainbows and unicorns. At least three of the nights will be good meals.

-Sean

Edited by wilmingtech

Yea I did have a talk with them. And I understand they dont believe the specials are worth the extra money exp with 4 of them eating. I always pre pay a package and book the days before I leave and I cant do that now. If they all take off and do what they want half the trip I will not be happy cause I would like to know that ahead of time so I can book a good meal for my family.

I guess you can't take the hint that you are not going to be dictating where and when the other family will eat. Make your reservations for yourself.

i feel your pain. I have travelled with family members who like to "play it by ear" and I am a planner. What ends up happening is you get this group inertia thing and it takes forever to make a decision, and time is wasted. Honestly, do not feel like you have to do your vacation on their terms. If you don't plan ahead on NCL, you can end up missing shows or waiting a long time to get into the MDR.

I like to plan every meal ahead. I realize not everyone does, but I go crazy having everything all loosey goosey.

I'd make it clear that you want to spend time with them, but that there ar certain things you want to enjoy on your vacation. Maybe let them choose the one specialty restaurant and book it for the first night, then book a couple for yourself the other nights, ask them if they'd like to join, and if not, meet them for drinks or dessert before or after.

Also, try to find a thread with some recent dailies. Sometimes the buffet has fun theme nights that all of you might enjoy. The buffet may be safer and less frustrating than the MDR.

The great thing about a cruise is that everyone can do what he or she wants. You don't have to be together as a group the whole time. So don't feel like you have to do things their way. You may end up feeling resentful. Find other ways to spend quality time with them.

I like hearing that. I always liked the MDR on Carnival. If it is close now I would be happy. I just dont like the frozen fish like Talapia, and Flounder. I also did not like the breast of chicken dinners they were blah. I seen some thing I might like on a few menus posted. I do like the steak and lamb dishes.

We were on the Getaway in August and the food in the main dining rooms was delicious and the service was excellent. My husband and I both thought it was better than Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

I guess you can't take the hint that you are not going to be dictating where and when the other family will eat. Make your reservations for yourself.

That was part of the issue we are supposed to eat meals together. But I have a feeling that won't always be the case. I did not imply or attempt to schedule everyone's dinners. I was just told the specials were out exp 1 night

i feel your pain. I have travelled with family members who like to "play it by ear" and I am a planner. What ends up happening is you get this group inertia thing and it takes forever to make a decision, and time is wasted. Honestly, do not feel like you have to do your vacation on their terms. If you don't plan ahead on NCL, you can end up missing shows or waiting a long time to get into the MDR.

I like to plan every meal ahead. I realize not everyone does, but I go crazy having everything all loosey goosey.

I'd make it clear that you want to spend time with them, but that there ar certain things you want to enjoy on your vacation. Maybe let them choose the one specialty restaurant and book it for the first night, then book a couple for yourself the other nights, ask them if they'd like to join, and if not, meet them for drinks or dessert before or after.

Also, try to find a thread with some recent dailies. Sometimes the buffet has fun theme nights that all of you might enjoy. The buffet may be safer and less frustrating than the MDR.

The great thing about a cruise is that everyone can do what he or she wants. You don't have to be together as a group the whole time. So don't feel like you have to do things their way. You may end up feeling resentful. Find other ways to spend quality time with them.

I toaly agree and I am realistic. We are all close friends. Folks will go in earlier than the rest. Things will come up I get that. I did all the booking for everyone from hotel to cruise to UBP my one quirk is in and stand 2hour dinners. So I am just going to play it with out too much structure and focus on having a good time. As we all know if your doing a show or going to a special restaurant you should book in advance but it is already too late for that.

Then I think you have your answer. If you want specialties for your family, book them, but leave them out they don't want to spend the money. They may look at that expense as $100 spent for a meal that they could have had for free in a MDR. Maybe find a way to have breakfast or lunch together or find some other dual activity times.

Good luck!

We were on the Getaway last week and had the dining plan.

They had prime rib in the garden cafe the first night and I believe 2 nights in the sports bar. I had it on the last night in Savor and it was very good.

We found the food and the service to be very hit or miss. I personally think Carnival does a better job in this department. Getting drinks other than water like iced tea is like pulling teeth. They are also very slow to refill the drinks when you get them. This was true in both the regular dining rooms and the specialty ones.

Stay away from the country fried chicken in the main dining room. This was the worst meal I have ever had on a cruise. It was a very strange flat pounded piece of chicken and 1 leg and tasted like the worst frozen food you could ever get.

We ate at Cagney's twice and loved it. Filet, 16 oz rib eye and whole lobster were all good. We did have trouble in the specialty restaurants getting our sides which every time cam e out way after we had our main course.

We heard wonderful things about Moderno and were excited to try it but food and service were terrible and if you like your meat cooked anything over rare-medium, you would think you were asking for the moon.

We did the Illusionarium. Food and service were fair. Food is a set menu, unless you have allergies and it is a bit distracting to the show when the wait staff is running all around during it. Food also comes out too fast and we were not even finished with our main course when desert was brought out.

Garden cafe had lots of choices and was consistent. They need more beverage stations though as the water bottle fillers tend to hog the space and the glassed you get are juice glass size.

Then I think you have your answer. If you want specialties for your family, book them, but leave them out they don't want to spend the money. They may look at that expense as $100 spent for a meal that they could have had for free in a MDR. Maybe find a way to have breakfast or lunch together or find some other dual activity times.

Good luck!

I lean towards this.

You are all on vacation. What is the priority of spending every waking moment together?

If your group has differing opinions of how they want dinner....then just meet back up after dinner.

Everyone is paying good money to be on this trip, why should anyone need to compromise? You can play together all day, then get an hour or two apart for dinner.

The cruise after our next one will be with 2 other couples. We have already told them that we (my wife and I) are booking specialty dining every night. If they want to join us, great. If not, fine. We told them the same thing about excursions. We are going to pick some things to do. If they want to do the same ones, come along. If they want to do something else, go have fun.

Just because you are vacationing together doesn't mean that you should all give up your autonomy.

That's my thought on it....but, proceed as you wish.

The Getaway has the latest in MDR menus. If you are not impressed and want a new york strip, then go ahead and dine in Cagney's for aged beef.