Group Room Discount? Minimum number of rooms?

MyDogRudy

I tried searching a bit for this but didn't find an answer. The Celebrity website did not specify anything other than to call them for rates, but I believe one can garner a better deal if you have some information prior to calling someone from the company trying to make a profit.

I started planning an immediate family Alaskan cruise vacation (my family, sister's family, my mom/dad) but the interest has spread significantly. I am looking at June 2017 therefore have plenty of time to plan, but want to get things fairly organized so once the 2017 Alaskan itineraries are posted (hopefully in the next month or two) I am ready to start booking as we would like balcony rooms with good views.

I was hoping to at least know a minimum number of booked rooms needed to get any kind of deal (I was thinking I had seen either 6 or 8 rooms somewhere on some thread) and approximately what kind of discount one might get. Unless the discount is substantial I don't know if I really want to take on the responsibility of booking 6-10 rooms for other people, although I will definitely be integral in planning excursions and at least getting out the information to those who would like to join us.

The first four cruises I went on we were part of a large group so I had very little to plan other than our own excursions. I then planned a simple trip for my husband and I with my parents. This will be a much bigger project so I am looking for any advice others can offer other than hiring a travel agent. Thank You in advance!!

Having booked 4 cabins for relatives and one for DW and me on an Alaska cruise through Celebrity my simple answer is - NEVER EVER AGAIN. I paid for the cabins and airfare and the air alone was difficult with some 6 different cities.

Easiest and simplest is so figure out the cruise you would like and call your favorite TA. You need to ask the TA what information they need and let them do the work. That way when things need fixing it is their job. Also your TA might well have a group and you could simply join those people. The discount is not really significant until you get to 10 cabins (about 10% at that level) but certainly worthwhile and a TA is likely to provide a discount in OBC worth something on top of that. Just figure out where and when and make a call to find out the information needed.

Hope it all goes well. Happy Cruising

Actually, it is one (1) berth (i.e., price of 1 passenger) per eight (8) cabins based upon the average per passenger price for all the categories of the cabins booked. The individual making the “group” booking needs to specify the cabin categories and make the appropriate deposits at the time of booking with the Celebrity Group coordinator.

As az tchr suggested, use a TA and it will save the OP from a lot of headaches .

The break comes at 8 cabins. The benefit is 1 passenger's fare. This can be spread throughout the booking group or absorbed by one passenger. The latter would probably not sit well with a family group!

Travel agents often reserve group space. The fare may mirror the cruise line fare but there are perks they can offer like prepaid gratuities, on board credits etc. These are also offered currently by Celebrity but an agent's offer may exceed that of the cruise line.

One thing to consider with family travel is class of booking. Celebrity offers 4 dining options - main dining room (either early or late), select dining at a time of your choosing, Blu for Aqua class passengers, and Luminae for suite passengers. If the family wishes to share meals then they basically need to be in the same classes. Cross dining options are not permissible in some categories. Once booked link your reservations to facilitate dining options. Select would be a better option for an Alaskan cruise in the MDR.

A cruise travel agent is the least stressful option for a group. Each member is responsible for booking cabin and land/air travel. Recommend members arrive in your port at least a day before the cruise. An agent can also arrange hotel which could also be discounted but by different parameters.

I have organized group travel but totally rely on the expertise of a good agent. It takes the pressure off me and onto the back of a true professional.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I may try checking with a travel agent to deal with the group thing. I don't mind organizing but was a little worried about dealing with too many bookings at once. I've never used a cruise travel agent before and have no idea how to pick the best one and it frustrates me that's one of the things people cannot recommend on CC.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the suggestions. I may try checking with a travel agent to deal with the group thing. I don't mind organizing but was a little worried about dealing with too many bookings at once. I've never used a cruise travel agent before and have no idea how to pick the best one and it frustrates me that's one of the things people cannot recommend on CC.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

I use a great Agent, and she plans groups a couple times a year, around 300 or so in each, I met her on one of her group cruises actually. Love her! Accessible by phone, text, email, Facebook almost instantly.

It is hard to find one that works well for sure, but once you find them it's great, and as the relationship builds over time, the perks become better too...

:D

Edited by cle-guy