Lounge Chair Etiquette

kevingastreich

I haven't sailed on a ship with cabanas, but from the photos I've seen, they appear to take up a lot of space for relatively few people. And anytime a ship does that, it squeezes the rest of the passengers into less space. Although it isn't an exclusive space, the Retreat (or whatever they call it now) on Veendam also reduced the number of available deck chairs. That didn't turn deck space into revenue space the way the cabanas do, but it was part of a revenue increase because of the additional cabins that are under it.

I have no desire to rent a tent on a ship. I might rent a deck chair if that was offered instead of the cabanas. As cruise lines (and not just HAL) put more people onto ships without increasing public space, my solution is to take a balcony cabin so that I know I'll have somewhere to sit outdoors and watch the sea go by.

The cabanas are on the observation deck for the retreat ones. Generally most people would not be sitting there so is it really taking usable space? I encourage those that don't like the cabanas to not book those ships. They bring in a fair amount of cash for Hal instead of increasing fares. They must be popular because they are adding them to ships. I've never had an issue getting a lounger on a Hal ship. By the way they are not tents.

Edited by cruz chic

I haven't sailed on a ship with cabanas, but from the photos I've seen, they appear to take up a lot of space for relatively few people. And anytime a ship does that, it squeezes the rest of the passengers into less space. Although it isn't an exclusive space, the Retreat (or whatever they call it now) on Veendam also reduced the number of available deck chairs. That didn't turn deck space into revenue space the way the cabanas do, but it was part of a revenue increase because of the additional cabins that are under it.

I have no desire to rent a tent on a ship. I might rent a deck chair if that was offered instead of the cabanas. As cruise lines (and not just HAL) put more people onto ships without increasing public space, my solution is to take a balcony cabin so that I know I'll have somewhere to sit outdoors and watch the sea go by.

I don't mind the cabanas in the Retreat area, but when we were on the N Amsterdam, there were cabanas at the Lido. They DO take up public space and make it difficult to pass by in those areas. I don't see the need for them there and it was one of the reasons that we did not enjoy the N Amsterdam cruise as much as we would have liked.

I don't mind the cabanas in the Retreat area, but when we were on the N Amsterdam, there were cabanas at the Lido. They DO take up public space and make it difficult to pass by in those areas. I don't see the need for them there and it was one of the reasons that we did not enjoy the N Amsterdam cruise as much as we would have liked.

When I think of cabanas I don't think of the lido cabanas. I'd be happy to see those go. They are a waste of space but people do enjoy them. I don't see them being added to other ships so I wonder if they are as well liked. Maybe it's not practical to do that. Still is does bring in extra revenue for Hal.

We loved the Nieuw Amsterdam when we sailed her in February, but like you, I didn't like the cabanas placed on the Lido Deck near the pool. It seems illogical to place a cabana, which normally is used to provide both shade and privacy, in an already covered, shaded area.