Parking at NYC port

mommyto3nj

We are on the BA on 11/1/15. Thinking of driving ourselves instead of a car service. Just curious if there is a cheaper place to park?

Thanks!

Try calling Port Imperial in Weehawken New Jersey there might be some parking there and its a quick ferry ride over to the ship. You have to be prepared to roll your luggage onto the ferry and walk a few blocks when you get to Manhattan, its easy if you don't bring a lot of suitcases. I know they were building a parking lot and the rate would be 14.00 per day but Im not sure if its built yet. Consider it might be half price and factor in the price of the ferry over to Manhattan, it may or may not be worth it. That would be the cheapest way I can think of.

We were on the Breakaway 9/6. We were a party of 8 coming from Philly and had 2 cars. Parking right at the port would have been well over 500 bucks. I did some research and we decided to park across the river at Port Imperial. We drove into NYC first and dropped off luggage and most of the passengers before heading across to park. The ferry runs every 20 minutes and was 18 bucks round trip per adult. Saw several people with luggage, it drops you off about 5ish blocks from the ship so you would have to be willing to walk that. It was a very easy experience and i think our parking ended up being about 16 dollars a day per car. You dont need reservations and it was a multi story indoor garage.

We were on the Breakaway 9/6. We were a party of 8 coming from Philly and had 2 cars. Parking right at the port would have been well over 500 bucks. I did some research and we decided to park across the river at Port Imperial. We drove into NYC first and dropped off luggage and most of the passengers before heading across to park. The ferry runs every 20 minutes and was 18 bucks round trip per adult. Saw several people with luggage, it drops you off about 5ish blocks from the ship so you would have to be willing to walk that. It was a very easy experience and i think our parking ended up being about 16 dollars a day per car. You dont need reservations and it was a multi story indoor garage.

Great idea dropping the luggage off and then heading to Port Imperial.

Great idea dropping the luggage off and then heading to Port Imperial.

Plus the toll, $14, if you don't have EZpass, for the Lincoln Tunnel.

But would be a savings if more than 2 people and you left the "extras". :)

Edited by Budget Queen

Keep checking the cruise parking terminal website. Sometimes they offer coupons for certain sailings. This past month was for a 7 day Gem cruise. Big savings if you can find a coupon.

http://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/parking/

I've never seen a coupon for the Breakaway - too many passengers. We are 10 mikes from the port, and park at the pier - it's just so easy. We are a family of 7, so parking and car service cost about the same.

We have cruised out of NYC a handful of times. Always parked at Port Imperial and taken the ferry over. As others have said, once you get over to the city the ship is only a few blocks away. All luggage today has rollers. Not only is the ferry parking more reasonable BUT getting back on the road is easy and quick. I would imagine that with all those people getting off the ship and trying to get through city traffic would be more than I would want to do.

I read on the Manhattan Pier Website they do not take reservations. It's first come first serve. Has anyone ever heard of a problem finding a parking space?

I've never seen it mentioned here. We also carry on wine and a case of water, so park at the pier helps with that. We are pulling into our driveway 20 minutes or so after getting through customs (no traffic Sunday mornings).

Plus the toll, $14, if you don't have EZpass, for the Lincoln Tunnel.

But would be a savings if more than 2 people and you left the "extras". :)

Yes if it had just been my husband and i with our kids we probably wouldnt have bothered with luggage drop off but my elderly father who has mobility issues was with us and wouldnt have made the walk back and forth to the ferry. Traffic was heavy around the port area so if you can just drive directly to port imperial and deal with your luggage yourself i would suggest that. After we disembarked we were able to have a porter take all of our luggage across the street to a side street to make pick up easier. Even facyoring in tunnel tolls we saved close to 300 between the 2 cars.

Also keep in mind the vehicle you drive when looking at parking outside of the port. Many of them charge extra for oversized vehicles like mini vans, bigger suvs etc. Port imperial did not and i dont believe the cruise port parking did either.

Cruise port parking novextra charge for larger vehicles (I drive a minivan).

Paying via visa is faster to park at the port than cash.

First come first serve...we got there at 11am plenty of parking then but wouldn't risk coming after 1pm...

There was someone who posted instructions in the forum which was helpful for me (first timer)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Does NCL have a motor coach option? I'm considering that option from CT.

You are out of luck if you live below Bridgeport. A loooonnnggg time ago we were able to take their bus from Stamford, CT., and, they went the wrong way! We viewed our ship as we were going over the George Washington Bridge! Then a return through the tunnel.

This is the current offer:

Route 1 - Operated by Academy Bus

Warwick, RI TF Green Airport, outside arrival terminal 7:45 AM 5:45 PM $110

New London, CT 45 Water St, across from parking garage just past Transportation Center 9:00 AM 4:30 PM $110

New Haven, CT Union Station, 50 Union Ave 10:00 AM 3:30 PM $110

Bridgeport, CT 710 Water St. Across the street from Bus Terminal 10:30 AM 3:00 PM $110

Estimated Arrival Time at Manhattan Cruise Terminal:

12:30 PM / Departure Time from Manhattan Cruise Terminal: 1:00 PM

I was actually thinking for the OP. But NCL doesn't offer any options from NJ.

I'm in the Hartford area and have an NCL option if I decide to sail from NYC:

Route 2 - Operated by Academy Bus

Hartford, CT Union Place Station, Asylum St - Across from back of station 10:00 AM 3:30 PM $110

Estimated Arrival Time at Manhattan Cruise Terminal:

12:30 PM / Departure Time from Manhattan Cruise Terminal: 1:00 PM

Edited by Nola26

• 2 months later...