Civitavecchia to Vatican - enough time?

mamalovestraveling

Hello,

I will be in CV mid October and would like to catch a train from CV to Roma San Pietro with an arrival time at 924am (due to ships arrival time I cannot get an earlier train into R.San Pietro). The guided tour for the Vatican which I would like to book starts at 10am (currently no later tours available).

Are there taxis around the R.San Pietro train station that could take me to the Vatican entrance? If not, can I speed walk to the Vatican in that time? I don't know my way yet, but can research it before I would arrive.

Thanks for any advice you can share!

Hello,

I will be in CV mid October and would like to catch a train from CV to Roma San Pietro with an arrival time at 924am (due to ships arrival time I cannot get an earlier train into R.San Pietro). The guided tour for the Vatican which I would like to book starts at 10am (currently no later tours available).

Are there taxis around the R.San Pietro train station that could take me to the Vatican entrance? If not, can I speed walk to the Vatican in that time? I don't know my way yet, but can research it before I would arrive.

Thanks for any advice you can share!

I can't advise about the taxis, but if you need to walk from train station to the entrance of the Vatican Museum, this will be VERY tight timing. It's probably possible, but you will indeed need to know exactly where you are going ahead of time and also have to walk at a brisk pace. The museum entrance is on a side of the Vatican that is further away from the train station. I thought I knew where I was going and we still managed to take a wrong turn that had us needing to adjust course along the way. I would say that it is right about a 30 minute walk if you walk quickly and directly. Not much room for error or breathing. Google maps lists the route to take as being 23 minutes walking time. But I notice they walk AROUND the edge of Piazza San Pietro when you can actually cut directly through it to save a couple minutes.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

It's more likely than not that you will not be able to pick up a taxi at the San Pietro station -- they do not seem to wait there, so unless you're lucky enough to find one dropping off passengers, you'll have to walk.

The poster above gives excellent advice. It's not impossible but it is VERY tight. Once you reach the Vatican, be sure to get in the right line for pre-reserved tours. Once through the doors you'll still have to go through security and then up to the next floor where the tour meeting point is.