Self Disembark - logistics?

Notch8

Good day, everyone. I have been searching for information regarding self-disembark so I have a fairly good idea of the mechanics... but I still have a few questions on the logistics:

1) Is it possible to grab some breakfast before disembarking using self-disembark?

2) If so, I imagine one must keep their luggage with them in the dining room (or Windjammer) while they eat?

3) Is there ever an issue of things getting backed up with people who are not self-disembarking blocking stairways/hallways and preventing others from leaving when released for self disembark (in the airline world, the best analogy are those people who hang out at the gate and keep people from boarding when other boarding groups are called.)

4) Has anyone ever had things go badly for them with self-disembark?

We would like to get off of the ship (Navigator of the Seas) in Ft Lauderdale in time to catch a train to Orlando that departs at 8:50 AM (which means we have to arrive at the station by about 8:45 AM - if we miss we can take the later train if necessary so low risk.)

Thanks for any amplifying information on this subject!

Good day, everyone. I have been searching for information regarding self-disembark so I have a fairly good idea of the mechanics... but I still have a few questions on the logistics:

1) Is it possible to grab some breakfast before disembarking using self-disembark? Yes, Windjammer will be open that morning

2) If so, I imagine one must keep their luggage with them in the dining room (or Windjammer) while they eat?You can leave luggage in your room and then go back and get it or keep it with you if you want

3) Is there ever an issue of things getting backed up with people who are not self-disembarking blocking stairways/hallways and preventing others from leaving when released for self disembark (in the airline world, the best analogy are those people who hang out at the gate and keep people from boarding when other boarding groups are called.)We did not see this but we were on smaller ships

4) Has anyone ever had things go badly for them with self-disembark?We've done it on all 3 of our cruises and never had any problems

We would like to get off of the ship (Navigator of the Seas) in Ft Lauderdale in time to catch a train to Orlando that departs at 8:50 AM (which means we have to arrive at the station by about 8:45 AM - if we miss we can take the later train if necessary so low risk.)

See my thoughts above in red.

I concur with the previous poster. We do this almost every cruise and have not had any issues. We go to Windjammer early, then go back to the cabin for our luggage. It's best done using stairs vs. elevators. Those tend to get crowded with folks trying to get to departure lounges.

1) Is it possible to grab some breakfast before disembarking using self-disembark?

2) If so, I imagine one must keep their luggage with them in the dining room (or Windjammer) while they eat?

3) Is there ever an issue of things getting backed up with people who are not self-disembarking blocking stairways/hallways and preventing others from leaving when released for self disembark (in the airline world, the best analogy are those people who hang out at the gate and keep people from boarding when other boarding groups are called.)

4) Has anyone ever had things go badly for them with self-disembark?

Yes, you will be able to have breakfast. On my recent cruise, the Windjammer opened at 6am and the MDR at 6:30am. I would leave my luggage in the cabin, have a quick bite and then go get luggage. Sometimes people will get all backed up and other times, things run smoothly. No way to tell how it will go.

As far as making an 8:50 train, I think you will be cutting it close. Express walk off starts at different times, depending on the ship and port. We got off the Jewel in San Pedro a week ago and self disembark started at 7:30. I have seen other ships having it start before 7. I would try to find information specific to Navigator once it is sailing from Florida.

I have done self disembark quite a few times -- mostly out of Galveston. Never had a problem and I like it cause I'm out and on the road quick.

I'm by myself (or sometimes with friends). I leave my room by 6:15am and use the elevators to go down to deck 4. Never a problem at that time of the morning. If you are with others, someone can stay with the luggage while others go grab a quick bite then switch.

Self disembark seems to be more popular now than before on the last few cruises I've been on.

Based on my observations, if you want to be one of the first in line to self disembark, get there an hour ahead of time.

I personally don't have the patience to do that, and usually I am at the end of the line. I'm happy with that as my main reason for using self disembark is to not have to search for my luggage in the terminal and/or worry about it getting lost or accidentally taken by someone else.

On our last two RCI cruises, Oasis and Allure, we got up early and went to the windjammer for breakfast and left the luggage in our room. We went back to get the luggage and had to wait to get an elevator because the elevators will be full of people going to breakfast and people trying to leave with their luggage.

The earlier the better. There was a long line when we left Allure for self-disembark but we still made our 9:15 a.m. flight. Customs went very fast but you never can tell.

Edited by EbayCruiser

We always do self disembark at Port Everglades. If you are on the Eastern Navigator 8 day cruise it looks as the arrival in port is 5:30. I suspect disembarkation would start by 6:30. That should give you enough time. However, I seriously doubt the Nav will use the Allure/Oasis terminal 18 so that leaves terminal 25 which is far less efficient.

We were on the Independene last month at terminal 18 and were in line at 6:30. Docked at 7:00. There were at least 100 people in line ahead of us. They started debarking about 7:20.

If you are taking Amtrak north the station is on Broward Blvd. That's about 15 minutes away from the port.

My point is not to scare you off but to give you general info. Personally I'd take my chances but I'd be on deck 4 very early.

We always do self disembark at Port Everglades. If you are on the Eastern Navigator 8 day cruise it looks as the arrival in port is 5:30. I suspect disembarkation would start by 6:30. That should give you enough time. However, I seriously doubt the Nav will use the Allure/Oasis terminal 18 so that leaves terminal 25 which is far less efficient.

Question...how difficult is it to lug the luggage through the Ft. Lauderdale terminals with self disembark? Are there ramps, escelators, or do they make you use an elevator if you have more than one piece of luggage? It's been a few years since we have sailed from Ft. Lauderdale and We didn't do self disembark last time. We just sailed out of the new terminal in Canaveral and self disembark was WONDERFUL with the ramps. We are considering it for our cruise on the Indy next week but would like to know more about the terminal...TIA!

We just did self disembark this morning in Ft. Lauderdale on Independence of the Seas. We got to deck 4 around 7:00 and were off the ship in our shuttle at 7:30. They weren't supposed to start self disembark until 7:30, so I would suggest getting there early as the line started to get really long.

There are different terminals I believe, but the one we used this morning had ramps and one escalator. It was easy to maneuver the rolling suitcase and duffle bag I had, but they also had an elevator you could take if you didn't want to take the escalator.

Edited by kristinmc8

Thank you to everyone for the prompt responses! I sincerely appreciate all of the helpful information that I have gleaned from these boards; I am certain we will have a wonderful time if this group is representative of the fellow passengers we will encounter!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are different terminals I believe, but the one we used this morning had ramps and one escalator. It was easy to maneuver the rolling suitcase and duffle bag I had, but they also had an elevator you could take if you didn't want to take the escalator.

Did you happen to be using Terminal 18 today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk