Allen Marine Tracy Arm - too tough for 93 y.o.?

fann1sh

I'm hoping some past Alaska travellers can help me. I've already posted on the Alaska board, and got some answers, but they aren't Signature class ship specific. OTOH, I'm not sure if either Signature ship has done Alaska/Tracy Arm in past years.

Our Alaska itinerary on Nieuw Amsterdam includes Glacier Bay. So, I know we'll see beautiful tidewater glaciers.

But, I've seen them up close in Kenai National Park, and I know small boat viewing can be amazing.

I'd like to give my Dad a close view of the Sawyer Glaciers, but not if transferring to/from the catamaran is too difficult. He normally uses a cane, or walker, but he can handle LIMITED steps.

As I understand it, he will have to go down a flight of exterior metal steps to board the catamaran?

Are they very challenging?

Then - after the tour - we debark in Juneau? So, Dad won't have to repeat the process?

Or, would it be more realistic to focus on Glacier Bay (since we have a corner balcony) and not try to do Tracy Arm?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

I think you should contact Allen Marine and ask them your specific questions about this specific tour, Fann1ish. My only experience was transferring from the Statendam to an Allen Marine Sea Otter tour in Sitka, and as far as I remember it was like getting onto a tender boat. Similar set-up, similar mobility required. I'll double-check with DH tonight and see if his memory is any clearer :D

You are correct that the Allen Marine tour drops you off in Juneau, where you meet up with the ship.

I'm looking at the NA next year, MUCH earlier in the season, and thinking about the TA tour. I love cruising through TA. BUT even in the small boat you cannot count on getting to the glacier. We've been on HAL ships in TA when the small boats have had to turn back, missing the glacier, due to ice conditions. Earlier in the season, but likely possible at any time.

If I do the NA and the Allen Marine tour of TA, I'll try to take better notes ;)

Thanks so much, CowPrincess. You're right: direct contact with Allen Marine is likely the best answer.

If I do the NA and the Allen Marine tour of TA, I'll try to take better notes ;)

I do hope you're able to go.

One of the reasons I booked the end of season was prices; but the other was to be sure as much thawing as possible happened. :cool:

>SNIP<

One of the reasons I booked the end of season was prices; but the other was to be sure as much thawing as possible happened. :cool:

I seriously think that Tracy Arm ice conditions are as much of a crap shoot as Alaska weather :D I hope you are able to do it, just the trip is spectacular, even if you don't get close to the glacier.

I am a few years younger than your Dad and I would not do it. How does he feel about it? risking a fall or other injury while on a cruise would be very bad at his age, Glacier Bay is enough.

I'm thinking about my Dad, who made it to 91. But he wouldn't have been good with the steps to the catamaran, probably from when he was 87 or so. If I'd even mentioned the excursion, he'd have said "You go, have fun. I'll watch from the balcony."

Everyone is different, of course, but do consider your Dad's mobility and balance. Also temperature sensitivity. How is he with cold conditions? My Dad always used to say "I'm old bones, I'm always cold."

I am not being facetious here, but does he have a good pair of binoculars? I know it isn't the same as being up close, but binoculars or a camera with a zoom could improve the experience. We had a corner wrap balcony and had great views and I took lots of good photos.

Our Alaska cruise was on Zuiderdam Sept 2010, and we did both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay. They did not offer the small boat into Tracy Arm, so I didn't have the choice you do.

Thanks so much, CowPrincess. You're right: direct contact with Allen Marine is likely the best answer.

I do hope you're able to go.

With TA it's not just thawing to allow passage in the water. If there has been significant calving, ice in the water can prevent passage. When we went, there were 2 large ice bergs sitting in the middle of the channel, preventing our entrance. Although the entrance channel looks wide, per captain, the only area where it was deep enough for the Volendam was the narrow channel in the center. Exactly where the ice bergs sat.