Shame on Carnival...or normal business practice?

smokester

Yet another example of why having a good PVP is helpful. Could I book online (since when I call him I already have the screen open and know exactly the cabin I want and what it's going to cost)?

Yep. But I call him anyway. And if there were to be ANY issue, I could call and get a "real" response quickly.

My upcoming cruise has been sold out for a while and it was not showing up anywhere last week. It's now back, with a few insides showing.

I'm guessing it's a capacity issue. Perhaps the cabin is one that holds 3 or 4 and Carnival won't truly make it available until they see if that number of people want/need it.

Have you looked at the deck plans to see what this particular cabin holds?

Really? The cruise is in 4 days and Carnival won't sell a 3 or 4 person cabin to a party of 2? If that's the case they could potentially shooting themselves in the foot.

Bill

Wait list deposit does happen. My daughter had a friend that decided to go with us 2 weeks before our cruise. It was sold out but they put us on a wait list with a paid deposit. We saw an inside cabin open up online and called to get it but it was not available. Strangely, another cabin was but it was a higher category. Carnival worked with us and got us that cabin for the 1 A price since it said available online. We had to be persistent and go up the chain though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for this.

Yet another example of why having a good PVP is helpful. Could I book online (since when I call him I already have the screen open and know exactly the cabin I want and what it's going to cost)?

Yep. But I call him anyway. And if there were to be ANY issue, I could call and get a "real" response quickly.

My upcoming cruise has been sold out for a while and it was not showing up anywhere last week. It's now back, with a few insides showing.

I'm guessing it's a capacity issue. Perhaps the cabin is one that holds 3 or 4 and Carnival won't truly make it available until they see if that number of people want/need it.

Have you looked at the deck plans to see what this particular cabin holds?

They (as do we) have a Carnival PVP, as we have all cruised several times with Carnival. My friends just this past July ( this cruise would have been their 3rd this year w/ Carnival). I have never heard of cabins showing available then not being once a booking is made and paid for. I have heard about a waiting list. This cruise has not been showing availability at all the last 3 weeks so they jumped on it when they saw an open cabin for 3 available thinking AFTER they booked online they would then call their PVP to be removed from the waiting list

Might it be that they booked a guaranteed cabin, but they haven't actually been assigned their cabin yet (hence the statement that they don't actually have a cabin)? That's what it sounds like to me. And the person saying they are on the waitlist just was using the wrong terminology?

If so, it could be a good thing. They could get upgraded.

Might it be that they booked a guaranteed cabin, but they haven't actually been assigned their cabin yet (hence the statement that they don't actually have a cabin)? That's what it sounds like to me. And the person saying they are on the waitlist just was using the wrong terminology?

If so, it could be a good thing. They could get upgraded.

No the cabin was assigned. Sounds strange to me that Carnival does this but they do. That's why I posted SHAME ON CARNIVAL ....OR NORMANL BUSINESS PRACTICE cause I've never seen read or heard of this happening

We sail this Sat on the Sunshine. Have friends that wanted to sail,also but had to wait to book. Called 2 weeks ago, no availablity. They put down a $300 pp , 3 people, to be put on a waitlist. So far, no calls from Carnival. Last week , on the website, a cabin showed available so our friends tried to book onine & it would not allow them to book . They called Carnival said computer error & reassured them that they were 1st on the waiting list. Well yesterday several cabins, inside & Oceanview showed available. They were able to book a cabin. They were so excited for a very short period. After an email & a phone call to Carnival they were told that they really did not have a cabin-just put themselves on a waiting list again, only Carnival got full payment this time. Carnival open cabins in expectation that people will cancel so they are assured all cabins are sold. I know had I booked online, received a cabin number, input all my information and input my credit card number I would think I was sailing this Sat. Really seems like bad business to me.

Hi there,

We currently are showing open cabins on the Sunshine for 10/10 so this is a bit confusing. Please have your friends contact us at cclsupport@carnival.com and we'll be happy to assist.

The website does not take deposits for a waiting list. We've cruised 33 times since 1976, have never seen this.

If they had a booking number did the complete the online check-in? If they didn't, or the credit card they used for payment was declined then the chances of their cruise not showing up might be true.

If they did check-in and they have boarding documents in hand then show up at the terminal and let Carnival figure it out.

This just does not make sense, there is a payment issue or a third party agent that has absconded with their money.

Edited by BallFour4

Yep sad thing is, what if my friends didn't read their email and just showed up in PC? 7 hour drive from home? How many others booked thinking they have a cabin? Looked this morning and a few cabins, including,the one they booked still showing available.

I am very confused by this....when I book on line and make final payment I print my docs. If I have luggage tags and all my docs and I show up at the pier what are they going to tell me? I am really not trying to be difficult but something really sounds out of wack. Are we missing some info.

3 One rep apologized said she was the fourth person he had spoken with that had booked that same cabin.

If this is accurate and the issue is with one particular cabin, it sounds to me like it might be an IT/website issue showing the cabin as available and allowing it to be booked when it shouldn't.

Booked over 15 cruises never had issue. User error. By the way... If they were already on a waiting list (?) and the cruise line said you're first on the list. Then why did they try to book a cruise if a room had opened then the cruise line would of called them right? I myself have no knowledge of a waiting list but it sounds to me like they were trying to help dilbert push the door open

I can totally believe this happened.

I had a cruise booked through a travel agent, I had registered a Carnival account, and had a cabin number. I logged into my carnival account to look at excursions and my cruise booking had disappeared. I then did a dummy booking and the cabin I had booked was available.

It all got sorted out, I dont kmpw what the issue was. I know this is slightly different but still.

I can totally believe this happened.

I had a cruise booked through a travel agent, I had registered a Carnival account, and had a cabin number. I logged into my carnival account to look at excursions and my cruise booking had disappeared. I then did a dummy booking and the cabin I had booked was available.

It all got sorted out, I dont kmpw what the issue was. I know this is slightly different but still.

Just have to hope OP comes back before its too late for their friend to get on this cruise.

Now after Ccl Mischell has posted that they are showing available cabins the OPs friend should be getting contacted if they are first on the waitlist

Bill

What I'm getting from this is they can only allow a certain amount of people on the ship. It sounds like they are now full, even if there are rooms available. Carnival expects to have cancellations and have a wait list for when this happens.

If what you say is true the post by CCL Mishell only serves to add more confusion.

Why wouls a CCL rep post here that there are availablecabins if you can't book them?:confused:

Bill

when a ship is sold out.........It is sold out. You don't put a deposit down and hope to get on the Ship. YOU can take a guarantee and HOPE you get a certain cabin but you paid for that guarantee and you are going to be on that ship.....Somewhere

We have sailed a lot. Platinum on Princess and Carnival as are a whole pack of people on this Board. Many on RCI and HAL too.

THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN. IF YOU HAVE A CABIN CONFIRMATION WITH THE DATE OF THE SAILING........A CABIN NUMBER AND THAT YOUR BALANCE IS PAID

IF THEY HAVE TO PUT YOU IN THE CABIN WITH THE CAPTAIN....YOU ARE SAILING.

THIS IS SO UNFAIR PERHAPS.....but do you smell an incompetent TA in there? or people who do not speak or read English well.? Not a slur. 63 million people living in the UsA DO NOT SPEAK ENGLISH. could that be the ISSUE????

This did happen. Friends only book thru Carnival, usually with a phone call, so no TA involved. They are Gold with Carnival and a few other cruises under their belts from others lines. We have cruised together before so I'm sure them NOT wanting to cruise with us is not the case. One is a former Marine other is a college professor, so English is no problem for them. They both decided to call Carnival back and bow out of the waiting list as all that transpired really put a bad taste in their mouths, so to speak. I don't blame them at all. Thanks for all the input, negative and positive comments, I have one more shirt of work today then I off to sail on the Sunshine !!! ☺

How are thy getting all their money back?

Carnival already did a credit for the cabin that wasnt. Will use the deposit for the waiting list for a future cruise which they knew when they put the deposit down knowing that a cabin may not become available for this cruise . They will continue to cruise Carnival just nto this cruise