Silver Wind

CoSec

Ok. We have sailed with SS only once before, on Whisper in 2014. We normally do Seabourn. However have just booked Silver Wind for Tower Bridge to Tower Bridge via Reykyavik (24 nights) for July/August 2017. Since booking I have seen a number of very negative reviews about the ship on Cruise Critic. Obviously things can change between now and then, but are these just an unrepresentative cluster or indicative of a basic underlying problem, I wonder? I note the ship offers smaller veranda suites/balconies) than on Whisper ( and SB) too. That said, we have very much chosen the cruise for the itinerary and I am hoping the smaller, possibly cosier, feel will chime well with it - or am I being over-optimistic. It has to be said that SS itineraries seem much better than SB offers for the most part.

As to dining reservations, the previous experience on Whisper and some commentary on these boards would indicate that we need to book the whole cruise well ahead, but I find (and found) that rather inflexible and on a cruise of 24 days ( on Whisper it was just seven) rather daunting and somewhat off-putting. Dare we risk just waiting and seeing what we can get day by day?

Just putting this out there in the hope of getting a rounder view than a possibly very much personally driven, excoriating review might offer.

We have cruised on SS for some years and especially enjoy the Cloud and the Wind because of their size. We were lucky enough to cruise in the Baltic from Tower Bridge in July/August of this year. The staff are terrific, the food very good and as you rightly say, the itineraries are excellent. You are able to pre-book Terrazza, the Grill on deck and Le Champagne before boarding but in practice, this is not necessary. You can easily make bookings a day or two ahead when on board.

Have a great voyage and you will meet like minded people whilst sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We did the same cruise on the Cloud a year ago.Fantastic and varied itinerary but you need a little luck with the weather.Wrap up if necessary and enjoy the wonderful scenery.We enjoy the smaller Cloud and Wind,the staff are great and we have always enjoyed good food and excellent service.The sail out and in to Tower Bridge is unique and special. Think positive and enjoy a wonderful cruise CoSec.

We started on the Wind four years ago and did three cruises on her. This past year we did two cruises on the Spirit and while we had a great time we missed the Wind. Missed it so much that we've booked the Wind next year. Maybe it's just because we started with the Wind after 18 years on mass market lines and that alone would make one fall "in love" with a ship. Maybe if we started on say the Spirit we'd feel that way about the Spirit but for us it's the Wind. Love the crew and staff, service, food, and cozy intimate atmosphere.

Good morning CoSec - we have just returned from 24 days on The Wind and have no doubt that you will have a great time on your Cruise. As I have said on another Board the Ship is 20 Years old and is showing some small elements of age ( as are we all !!! ) but is generally in a good shape. The Crew are, as always, wonderful and the present Management Team are First Class.

The issue of Pre Booking Restaurant Reservations is tricky - from our recent experience Terrazza & Pool Grill are heavily booked ahead of Sailing Date, Le Champagne less so. However with a degree of flexibility on date & timing and with the right attitude towards the Restaurant Manager we had no problems in amending Table Bookings and achieving what we wanted each evening. Clearly one can eat in the Main Dining Room without any Reservation ( not a great hardship !! ).

I hope this helps your Planning at this early stage.

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Very much looking forward to it. Just have to be patient now. Not sure all this online pre-booking of dining is really that good a thing, though. Seabourn seem to manage on a first come first served basis that means table use through an evening is maximised rather than tables being left unused waiting for bookings to arrive. A happy half way might be the ability to book for a couple of nights only per leg when on board. But we shan't let it spoil things.

Don't worry about the on line restaurant bookings.We have never had a problem eating where we wanted on any given evening.Mayflower sums it up perfectly re establish a positive relationship with Maitre d /Restaurant Manager on first evening.We don't like the on line reservation system as it is and feel it ought to be restricted to 2 bookings per suite for every 10 days cruising.This would put a stop to the mass bookings made on line which turn out to be mass cancellations once on board.This system also penalises cruisers who have no access to on line facilities.Enjoy your cruise.