I dressed it down

uncleg

We were just off the Dream also and there were plenty of people in shorts on formal night where we saw none of that in June on the Splendor. I don't care one way or another, but I try to follow their guidance and it annoys me when they don't bother enforcing. Basically the bar is pretty low by just asking for no shorts, tees and flip flops for 2 nights and anything goes on other nights.

On my last cruise not planning to, I ended up dressing down more than normal. Days usually in shorts and Tshirst, nights slacks and a button down or polo...except "cruise elegant night" coat, tie, dress shirt. This year for the first time I did wear shorts to MDR on casual nights with a polo or box cut shirt, I was neat looking...just like I would go out to normal sit down/waitstaff restaurant in summer. After 3 beach days in a row...the dress slacks were to hot. I think I may be doing more of this as I really want to stop packing so much and I was within the dress code guidelines.

I did not realize they changed dress codes. Men can wear shorts in MDR? My husband will be thrilled. Can women also wear shorts? And before someone flames me and tells me to read Carnival web site I will be honest. I don't feel like it right now. Honesty is best .....

John Heald recently announced that the Journeys cruises would include the throw back Captain's cocktail party on an Elegant Night in the main show lounge, free drinks, appetizers, live band and passengers dancing on the stage. And all of this is what I remember, and I am looking forward to it! But then he included that people would be wearing their full on formal wear and I'm like - "Meh." I gave up bringing my evening gowns and cocktail dresses on cruises several years ago and now wear a sparkly top and dress slacks to Elegant Night. I am not going to dust off my old gowns to bring along. I'm just not. I've found that I really don't enjoy dressing up very much and am very uncomfortable in panty hose and pumps.

I'm an Alaskan and have no need to dress like this here. Since the rules have changed and I've quit worring about formal night, my life is better. A lot less stress and I don't have to shell out the bucks for those expensive gowns every couple of years. Win-win.

I did not realize they changed dress codes. Men can wear shorts in MDR? My husband will be thrilled. Can women also wear shorts? And before someone flames me and tells me to read Carnival web site I will be honest. I don't feel like it right now. Honesty is best .....

I reread policy this morning to make sure I was not in violation. I do follow the rules. Dress shorts are allowed for men on cruise casual nights.

My shorts were nice, but not dress...next time I will have dress shorts, I am usually the guy who has a tie and jacket for every-night.

I know better than to wear sleeveless to to a meal period and wear a hat indoors, plus they make your hair fall out...ask my balding hat wearing brother:D

I like "dressing-up" a LITTLE for dinner in the MDR ... but my idea of "dressing up" would be a nice pair of black drawstring linen pants from Cubavera, with a nice rayon/cotton Tommy Bahama camp shirt, untucked, and a pair of black suede slip on shoes. for the "cruise elegant" nights I wear pressed dress slacks and a bright blue dress shirt and jewel toned tie.

Again ... I like "changing" for dinner and dressing up a little ... even though I typically only wear those "dinner" clothes for a hour and then change into my "after dinner" outfit!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude :)

I spend five days a week wearing a shirt and tie. I came on the cruise to relax, not to be pretentious. I will always wear a collared shirt and and golf/ Bermuda shorts to the main dining room for dinner. But the idea of "dressing up after a sea day"/ or a shore day, is too phony for me. I understand if you want to dress up, enjoy the night but leave me out of it.

As the population's size increases, so will their determination to wear loose clothes, like untucked shirts and maxi dresses. Restrictive clothing, like a fitted cocktail dress or tux pants with a shirt tucked in would not be comfortable.

I don't think that's only about size. A fitted cocktail dress is less comfortable than a flowy dress to me and I'm a size 2. I do sometimes wear a fitted dress if I'm in the mood but nothing very fussy. All well within the dress code, of course. DH is also thin and hates tucking in shirts or wearing ties - feels claustrophobic with both. We've also met plenty of larger people who do dress up. It seems fairly unfair to conflate that to weight.

I've worn nice bermuda shorts and so has my mum. As far as the rules state, "dress shorts" are allowed for men and women (which Carnival seems to count everything not jeans, cutoffs, or basketball shorts, though I'd also be wary of cargos - which I have seen in the dining room and don't care about but "cargo shorts" may be over the line of absolute following the rules). My DH has worn normal khaki shorts and normal black shorts - not sure if they're "dress shorts" (or what those are for men, lol!) but they were not cargo and not jean or sweats - a nice, soft material.

Edit: I mean casual nights. On elegant night, they are not allowed. I'm sure someone has worn them and I don't care, but we do follow rules because I believe in following rules.

Edited by berrieh

On my last cruise not planning to, I ended up dressing down more than normal. Days usually in shorts and Tshirst, nights slacks and a button down or polo...except "cruise elegant night" coat, tie, dress shirt. This year for the first time I did wear shorts to MDR on casual nights with a polo or box cut shirt, I was neat looking...just like I would go out to normal sit down/waitstaff restaurant in summer. After 3 beach days in a row...the dress slacks were to hot. I think I may be doing more of this as I really want to stop packing so much and I was within the dress code guidelines.

I don't wear shorts but otherwise this is how I always dress. Jeans and t-shirt all day and night elegant night Slacks and polo or button down. Its vacation with very little storage space why not bring less stuff?

I don't think that's only about size. A fitted cocktail dress is less comfortable than a flowy dress to me and I'm a size 2. I do sometimes wear a fitted dress if I'm in the mood but nothing very fussy. All well within the dress code, of course. DH is also thin and hates tucking in shirts or wearing ties - feels claustrophobic with both. We've also met plenty of larger people who do dress up. It seems fairly unfair to conflate that to weight.

I've worn nice bermuda shorts and so has my mum. As far as the rules state, "dress shorts" are allowed for men and women (which Carnival seems to count everything not jeans, cutoffs, or basketball shorts, though I'd also be wary of cargos - which I have seen in the dining room and don't care about but "cargo shorts" may be over the line of absolute following the rules). My DH has worn normal khaki shorts and normal black shorts - not sure if they're "dress shorts" (or what those are for men, lol!) but they were not cargo and not jean or sweats - a nice, soft material.

Edit: I mean casual nights. On elegant night, they are not allowed. I'm sure someone has worn them and I don't care, but we do follow rules because I believe in following rules.

My son wears cargo shorts all the time (not elegant nights) but sail out of Texas and the rules are a bit more lax.

My son wears cargo shorts all the time (not elegant nights) but sail out of Texas and the rules are a bit more lax.

Yeah, I think they would allow it (and I definitely don't care what people wear - I've sat with people wearing discreet looking basketball shorts and was fine with it, though that is against the code) BUT I was just saying I'm not sure I'd call them technically "dress shorts" - again, what dress shorts are eludes me as it sounds like an oxymoron. I can kind of envision women's dress shorts, but not really men's. I'm guessing what they really want to "avoid" are bball shorts, cutoff jean shorts, etc.

Maybe I am crazy but I look forward to dressing for formal night which we have two on our New Years eve cruise...We will be hanging out in swimsuits shorts water and sand most days and to experience the true cruise atmosphere I can not wait til elegant night. :):D

There is, the food is much better at a nice land based restaurant then on a cruise ship. The food on a cruise ship is fine, but its more on the line of the food you get at a chain restaurant then at a fine dining restaurant.

I totally agree, and Carnival is always ranked near the bottom for their MDR, not to mention they just did away with the ubiquitous lobster dinner for formal night on shorter cruises, it is far from fine dining.

That being said we are checking out Carnival because they do have such a lax standards, and there will be no need for a jacket. I'm a Hawaiian shirt and slacks kind of guy, is this against the rules in the MDR?

We dress for Elegant Night (or whatever it's called) with DH wearing either a suit or slacks, a button-down, and a jacket and me in a cocktail dress. However, I've never understood people who actually care what someone else wears within reason. One cruise there was a girl who showed up to dinner in a bikini with a t-shirt cover-up and her boyfriend in shorts, a sleeveless t-shirt and flip-flops. They were told to go change into appropriate attire (politely, but they WERE refused entry into the MDR). THAT made sense, but for the most part, who cares if someone is wearing dark, pressed jeans or suit pants?

As long as you stay within the dress guidelines n the evening this is the way to go!

I agree, what you're in the mood to wear regardless of size is a dominating factor in wardrobe choice. But women and men wore more fitted outfits in the 1960's when on average women and men were 24 pounds less than in 2002. Now we have less fitted outfits predominating the clothing scene. Coincidence? By the way, I like the use of "conflate". :)